1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
6,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I own two seperate f5s-same problem

1.When tempature is very cold-exhaust cables slack up and come off servo motor
2.One f5 cat synthetic apv oil-the other amsoil
3.The oily residue and exhaust moisture working there way back up cables and freezing cables overnight!!!
Have oily residue coming out cables by servo motor
4.Seems once engine is warmed up everthing is fine and cables move freely
5.One f5 is brand new-blue cat synthetic apv oil-and had oily residue coming out cables
6.Why didnt cat put exhaust vents and tubes like previous zr500apvs????
7.Cable adjustments-mine where both at 34mm from factory-manual says 36mm-38mm so which is it???
8.I also checked the cover o rings when i pulled the valves on one f5 and everthing looked fine

I love my f5s thats why i own two now,but this problem is bothering me and my dealer,and i consider myself a decent mechanic but still cant figure out along with a thousand other f5 owners who have had their cables come off servo motor(RTV to keep cables on-Washer behind servo cylinder to keep cables on)never had a issue on cables with 01 apv 500 and 02 apv 500-Thanx scott frye

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
Wow, this sure sounds like a factory OVERSIGHT or DESIGN FLAW to me!!!

Hopefully Arctic Cat will have yet another service advisory or bulletin to address and fix this unacceptable problem?!?!?!? -- Roy

·
Registered
79 Posts
I have only had one frozen cable and it was on the PTO side. Went to the dealer and they
lubed it and made adjustments and so far so good.

·
Registered
53 Posts
500+ miles on my F5. Haven't had any troubles with my valves. (Tach on the other hand is another story.) I even pulled them out to see if they had much buildup and them seemed damn near new. I did however notice some oil/moisture coming out or the cables at the servo motor. Oh yeah. I run Amsoil in all my snowmobiles.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I've been putting washers behind the pulleys to keep the cables from falling off. It doesn't totally cure the problem, but it does keep the cables on.

·
Registered
6,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ARCTIC CAT-Hello is anyone there!!!!I have more oil going through cables then coming out exhaust doughnut-or is it vice versa-having a hard time seeing engine as theres oil in front and back,now on brake rotor because chain case leaking,going to the dealer on monday-maybe i can hit them up for a free pressure wash!!!Anyways still waiting on a answer for oil in cables and what are the proper cable measurements????????Most from factory about 33mm but book says 36-38mm-are we measuring wrong-is the book wrong-whats up-thanx scott

S

·
0 Posts
it's got to the point that after 30feet I can tell when they fell off again, I ended up puttting a set of small needle nose in the bag just for when it happens again ( which is often)

·
Registered
2,913 Posts
mine fall off as well.................i leave the servo cover loose so i can re-attach them quicker. the cables only fall off when its cold and ive been noticing that the cable reel rotates backwards and stays that way when you first start it and thats when mine fall off . im getting into the habit of rotating the reel by hand before start up so this does not happen . i also have the oil residue coming out of tha cables . i am using klotz 100%synthetic oil and the valves are still clean at 1800 miles . cable tention is set correctly as well.

·
Registered
86 Posts
This has been a problem for me since 01, my o1 zr500 was so bad that I had to switch to redline racing oil. It was the only oil that wouldn't gum the cables up and I used cable luber to blast the crap out. o2 zr 500 was better because of the much more frequent clean cylce I was able to run spectro power valve syn. Cables only came off once. The f5's seem to be even worse than the 01's no drain hose and the old program for servo cycling. AC should recall and update to the more frequent servo program of 02. Make sure your oil pump is not to fat. If that doesn't work the redline will.

·
Registered
236 Posts
mine a frequently hanging up due to gumming. As many times as i have removed and cleaned i can blow cats flat rate all to hellmy dealer didnt even know that cat didnt put drains on the f-cats. hello. 900 miles of inconsistant and pissed off riding. Im working on the f-ing thing more then i ride it. apv cables (2 problems number of times) have left servo cover off for quick fix,bolts falling out,ice glaciers on the outside of tunnel, bad servo motor,pinched and shorted wiring,chaffed coolant lines, only one enrichment valve on carb working b-cause of missing set screw,leaking chain case, It seem like its one thing after another. I like the cat but come on. i can see im going to take it up the ass on retail work if i dont tradeWas thinking of a f6 but am a little scared that thats going to have a problem. i would trade right now if i knew that most everything is ironed out. what to do???????????? Hate to say this but can you say Polaris???????

·
Registered
13 Posts
Could someone please provide a photo of cables off the servo motor.....and how much top end do you lose?How do you know when they come off......I dont normally tinker much with my sled i just ride the thing.Last time i rode on perfect conditions i could only get 93 mph.....Would appreciate the help...THanks

·
Registered
236 Posts
Originally posted by blackf5@Feb 11 2003, 07:53 PM
Could someone please provide a photo of cables off the servo motor.....and how much top end do you lose?How do you know when they come off......I dont normally tinker much with my sled i just ride the thing.Last time i rode on perfect conditions i could only get 93 mph.....Would appreciate the help...THanks
when my cables come off or the servo isn't working it struggles to reach 80mph.

·
Registered
79 Posts
your Max RPM will only go to about 7800 - 8000 rpms when it should reach 8340 - 8450 rpms. your speed will go from 90's to 80 max.

·
Registered
47 Posts
A couple of weeks ago I was having the classic signs that the cables were disconnected. Took the cover off and sure enough off the servo motor. Reconnected them and over the past weekend took the cover off to check if they were still connected, they were. I started the sled and watch the servo motor turn but what I also notice the cables slacked up. It was -5f. The sled ran fine all day but I am not going to take that fricken cover off every morning to check on the cables. COMMON ARCTIC CAT LISTEN TO YOUR CUSTOMERS AND MAKE THE FIX. THERE HAS BEEN TO MUCH WITH ALL THE PROBLEMS TO BE IGNORED. I WAS A LONG TIME POLARIS RIDER BEFORE MY F5 AND WITH ALL THE PROBLEMS I AM CONSIDERING GOING BACK!!!! BUT THERE IS A PROBLEM THESE SLEDS ARE CONSIDERED TAINTED SLEDS TO THE SLED CONSUMER. SO THERE GOES MY RESALE. MAYBE AFTER NEXT YEAR AND ONLY MINOR AMOUNTS OF UPDATES MAYBE PEOPLE WILL FORGET. SO I AM STUCK WITH IT ANOTHER YEAR. HOW ABOUT ANOTHER YEAR OF WARRENTY OR IS CAT TO WORRIED ABOUT MORE UPDATES AND RECALLS. DOES THAT MEAN ANYTHING? IN MY SALES JOB WE BEND OVER BACKWARDS TO MAKE THE CUSTOMERS HAPPY. COMMON ARCTIC CAT DO THE RIGHT THING FOR CAT'S DIGNITY AND CUSTOMER SATISFACTION.

·
Registered
6,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Tahoe32-Keep your cover off,i have on both for a month,no snow gets near there here in u.p. and wisconsin,no problems keeping cover off-anyways gls did get back to us-they know there is a problem with the cables(New cables should have a seal or some type of o ring)Anyways my dealer has two sets ordered,should be here this week-will let everyone know how they work when they come in-scott-gls also said this problem will be fixed for 2004-to bad most of us had to wait the whole winter until arctic cat had figured there was a problem-but talk to your dealer and have them order the new and improved sealed cables for f5s,according to cat should keep oil and moisture from entering cables causing them to freeze up and then slack up and fall off-HOPE THEY WORK!!!!!!!

·
Registered
153 Posts
I have to put them back in everymorning before i go riding i've gotten so good at it i do it in like 5 minutes with my hands. I get up to 89mph with them off and the throttle response sucks compared to it when the cables are on i get up to 112mph and i've taken off on every sled i've raced!!

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
What's different between the F5 and the F7 AVP valves and servo systems, in that the F7s don't seem to be having the cables disconnecting problems that so many of the F5s are having??? -- Roy

1 - 20 of 33 Posts