Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

Well I haven't had much time to go out and ride my sled lately, so the other night I decided to go out for a night ride. Everything went well until, I was 1 km away from home. I hit a rock in the middle of the lake and I crashed. I was doing about 30 - 40 miles (Track speed) (I was in about 9 inches of fresh powder) when I hit it. My head hit the handles bars and I don't recall anything after that. It twisted the tunnel and smashed the hood and handle bars. Not sure about the sled now - if it's a write off or not. Insurance stages.

I'm posting this for the safety aspect only. I can see a crash if I was out performing or something, but it was a nice leisurely ride when it happened. It will get ya when you least expect it. Please ride safely!

Always wear your helmet. I believe thats the only reason I'm still here,and able to write this message!

·
Registered
720 Posts
Sorry about the sled, but I am glad to hear you are o.k.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I second that Mike C!

Let's all remember most of us in here have little
one's at home we all love to come home too. The
sled can be replaced (with another Firecat!) but we
can't----Ride hard and Ride Safe!

·
Registered
485 Posts
:( Sorry, glad your o.k., I was riding on Mitchells Bay last week and there on the ice was a cinder block, very similiar to the blockhead who would put something like that out on the ice. Good luck with the insurance.

·
Registered
2,150 Posts
Glad to hear your ok.

Everyone must be safe and ride with caution during the night, and dont over drive your headlights.

Did you see the rock before you hit it?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No I hadn't seen anything before I hit it. I was with two firends and one was in front and one behind. Guy in fornt didn't see anything and the guy behind me only seen my laying on the ice after it happened.

My wife thought I was out doing something stupid when I explained it to her and didn't believe me. I went to the place the next morning and it took me 10 minutes to find what I had hit. It was a rounded off chunk of bedrock covered in snow. Even when you look at it in daylight it doesn't look like a big deal. After seeing the sled, I noticed both A arms struck the rock rather than the ski's, but didn't hit the nose cone. It was a complete freak thing! Thats what makes it scary.

I don't know what to say to people in order to learn from our mistakes..................just be "Extra" cautious I guess!

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Morby...Glad to here your ok. I had a similar one on my 2000 sxr, while on the lake i hit a tree stump unseen from the snow cover at about 50 mph. Sled was fine after 5 barrel rolls and i had a broken shoulder....out of commission for 6 weeks....ouch!!!

·
Registered
827 Posts
it's good to hear that your ok,the sled can be replaced people can't,,

·
Registered
76 Posts
Sorry to hear about the accident. However, if insurance totals it out, we would be interested in 1 part from it. We need the throttle cam, where the throttle cable attaches to the throttle body. That complete assembly behind the nut. If you are interested in selling that one piece, please drop me an e-mail.

Glad you're ok.

Brian Michales
[email protected]

·
Registered
629 Posts
Morby,

Glad to hear you are safe. We have a saying in our group.. if you ain't breaking it, you are not riding your potential. Nice thing to have helments on huh!!

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
Same thing happened to my buddy on his sled last year-hit a rock sticking out of the .3 of us in front of him missed it by inches. He totaled his sled and we wear Tek-Vests now- there is always someone waiting at home. Even if it's just your trusty dog. :)

Attachments

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
good to hear your ok....Nothing worse than hearing about one of your own crackin' up....keep the faith and good luck with insurance

S

·
0 Posts
Imagin Yellowknife (where Morby lives) christmas day -20 beautiful, My dad,ZR600LE, Buddy440mxzand me 98ZR 600LE racing across a lake 80mph+ lookin at buddy as I pass him, next a windrow from a ice road that was not there night before, about twenty feet in front of me, Sky, ground,sky, ground,sky ,ground.
my sled was totaled busted my Smiths into the handle bar, lens cut my face all up. Dad said sled was 30+ feet in air when I let go, the sled only went about 20 feet from impact. front skid (frame), both a-arms,One front shock, hood, belly pan, stearing post, kill switch, and a lot of rivets! cost me about $4000.00 not a bruise but the cuts on face LUCKY!! exhaust springs were 6"long!!!!!
Morby did you do this on V lake as well? Guess that's where I got my Name huh? It's all in the way you look at things.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well I appreciate everyones concern. Thanks! Yep the Tek - vest will be order soon.

Hey Snowblind, no I did this on Range lake - in the middle of town!

It was a total freak crash with the worst possible outcome ever. Didn't think someone could cause that much damage going so slow!

Safety first.

I'm running out of my 9 lives, thinking back to my earlier days, I used quite a few there!

S

·
0 Posts
Man I here yah, I did not mention that I was wearing my tek, How's it look? got some pics? How did the insurance Go? Do yeh Know me Troy Bradbury? be there on monday and all week getta Try out my Bro's 900Zr Monday Night.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 20 Posts