Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We finally got enough snow here in Mn. to take the 02 Z440 SnoPro for a ride(1st time). All I can say is WHAT A BLAST!!! I would sell my F7 in a heartbeat if I could have the handling and bump capabilities of this sled if it had a bit more umpfff. It handles like it is on rails, and it can take whatever you can throw at it as far as rough trail/bump situations..... Very solid and predictable and sucks up the nasties like nothing I have ever ridden before. Hit a sharp/big bump and the front end sucks it up, launches(very predictably), and comes back down just waiting for the next one. This sled ROCKS!!!
-John

·
Registered
909 Posts
The 02 snopro has the fox racing shocks 5/8 shafts instead of 1/2" on the f's. Much stiffer in the dampening and rebound. Also the nitrogen pressure in the 02 sno pro is 250lbs vs. 200 in the F's. I am sure you can change the valves and stacks on the pistons to the same as the 440. Plus the 440 only weighed in at 424 dry or so they claimed. You can deffinately feel the weight difference. Would love to put my 700 in it an try it but its alot of work.

I have both the F7 SP and the 02 440 snopro. I like my F7 better so much in fact that I would like to sell the 440 and get an F6 also.

·
Registered
6,976 Posts
I don't own a firecat, but do own an 02 sno pro. I love the bump capabilities. :D And it is pretty quick. Feels at least as quick down low as my 01 800 ZR. I will ride an F5 this weekend and see how big a difference there is between the sleds. I also left the sway bar out of mine. We'll have to see. Houghton, MI this weekend.
Cat S.

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
i also have a 02 440 sno-pro, very fast to about 70 mph, and thats it!
geared and clutched for racing, this sled will beat you up on long rides trust me, very fun for jumping and short ditch riding trips
would not want to ride 200 miles straighton it!

·
Registered
6,976 Posts
I have mine set up pretty much stock motor and clutching wise besides the helix. I can break 90 on the speedo (on a lake with no one around of course)in about 300+- yards. It does seem to loose steam after about 75 or so.
Cat S.

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
cat 50,
how did you hook up a speedo, my guage is tach only, analog or digital, checked on my f-7 and the 440 has less wires going into the guage!

·
Registered
6,976 Posts
AHHHH,
It should be the same??? at least pretty close to the same unit as your F7. As you probably know the speedo didn't work well or at all from Cat last year. The magnet in the pickup under your secondary is too big. Cat updated it and if you put the new one in which is smaller it will work perfect. The hardest part is breaking the old one and getting it out. You really have to hit it hard with a screwdriver of something. Hopefully you have the updated speedo. I have 2 good ones. Let me know what you have.
Cat S.

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
i have never had a reading at all on speedo, talked to other 02 sno-pro owners and they said the same thing
have only had tach from day one, i figured since it was a race machine the speedo electrics were not there,
glad to know this, i'll ask my dealer today about a update!

·
Registered
6,976 Posts
Ya,
I think the new magnet costs like 50 cents. Sometimes I think they had to replace the whole speedo. I have 2 updated ones. I think they will send out a new one for free. I got my magnet and speedo from the race dept. Good luck with them this time of year.
Cat S.

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
i was just out in my shop, messin with the 440, looks like a wire just hangin behind the guage, now i have to look at f-7 and see where that wire goes, maybe for speedo, also will check and see if magnet is there!

·
Registered
6,976 Posts
That doesn't sound good. You should just have to take the old magnet out and put the new magnet in. Glue it in good. I had to re-do mine. If you have cut or broken wires.....I don't know electrical.
Cat S.

·
Registered
773 Posts
The magnet is behind the magneto pickup on the driveshaft.Easy way to get to it is remove drive belt & driven clutch.Then you will see the pickup which is held on by three nuts,remove pickup & you will see the magnet on the end of the driveshaft.I used a auto-punch to remove the old magnet.Super glue new magnet as close to the outer edge as possible.The updated magnet is Part Number 0630-167 & you may also need the updated speedo unit.

About 80mph is all I can get out of mine but it has a aggresive Speedwerx clutch kit.I can spank big cc sleds until about 75mph then I run out of helix.

·
Registered
6,976 Posts
Yes they make a good trail sled. Yes they do require more attention than a regular sled, but they are a blast.
Cat S.

·
Registered
773 Posts
Yes & no.If you want to trail ride all day & keep the throttle pinned on lakes a lot its a big no.If your like me & ride trails to the good stuff like jumps,hillclimbs & just screw around all day yes.The ride is rock hard to say the least compared to consumer sleds but more precise.Just revalve the shocks if to stiff.Power is awsome untill about 80mph & then its done.

The 01 Sno Pros had major problems with fading Cross-Link suspension so might want to look at a 02 or a 00.If you get a 02 make the the owner has had all the updates done cause this is very important on this sled.I have ridden Firecats & would not trade mine for one,just to much fun on the true Sno Pro.

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
they are very stiff and valved for jumping,
but very fun to ride, quick and light!
love to be jumped, dont let it fool ya this 440 puts out close to 100 h.p.
very finicky though!

·
Registered
6,976 Posts
I can ride mine all day at 40 mph and it's no problem. Let her warm up real good and it will run like a top all day. I was worried about how the sled would run on the trail, but it's really no problem. Just revs pretty high. At least compared to my 800. The thing really RIPS in the powder.
Cat S.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Thanks guys. I'm going to focus on finding an 02. I do have a complete list from AC showing the updates needed. I like my F5, but really want to experience the sno pro. Everyone I have spoken to, they love the power and rev. of the 440 motor. I'm in my mid 30's but still live to ride hard.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts