Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

Just put nearly 400 miles in the last two weeks on my 2003 ZR 900 SnoPro with a new 1.25 Ripsaw and 192 Woody's 1.350 studs.
Thinking of getting a ripsaw for your big bore sled and studding the track... One word.... DON'T....
The f.....g track is way too soft and look at the pattern of the lugs. Does it remind you of a rake or a comb,well that is basically what it does to the snow
when you accelerate.My son's ZR 600 with a 1.25 paddle type track with full lugs and 144 studs just leaves me f.....g standing there while i spin the heck out
of my machine.We both have D&D clutch kits and i have a few HP tweaks on my machine.
Kind of hard to admit that a 13 year old blows you away off the start...
One word of logical advice,stick with the full lug tracks on the big bores and leave the ripsaws for the stock non studded machines,you want your track clawing at
the snow not raking it.
That is my personal opinion and if i had the choice to do it over again i would not by a ripsaw for this type of sled....

Have a great season !

·
Premium Member
12,762 Posts
Very odd................I've experienced exactly the opposite. Liked the Predator 1.25 on both on my ZR800's but flat out love the 1.25 Ripsaw on my 900. Sounds more like your not transferring enough to take advantage of the track, my sled hooks like crazy.

·
Registered
172 Posts
IF YOU HAVE COUPLING BLOCKS TAKE THEM OFF AND TRY IT. YOU WILL LOVE THAT TRACK SETUP.IF NOT SOFTEN SEC. SPRING AND SOFTEN REAR SUSPENSION TRI-ANGLE BLOCKS. YOU JUST GOTTA HOOK IT UP,WE RUN ALOT OF THESE AAAAA++++++ WHEN YOU GET IT YOU'LL BE GGGGGGOOOOOOONNNNNNNEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!! YOU DON'T WANT TO BE BEHIND ONE THEY FIRE BACK ALOT OF DEBRIESE.

·
Premium Member
12,762 Posts
IF YOU HAVE COUPLING BLOCKS TAKE THEM OFF AND TRY IT. YOU WILL LOVE THAT TRACK SETUP.IF NOT SOFTEN SEC. SPRING AND SOFTEN REAR SUSPENSION TRI-ANGLE BLOCKS. YOU JUST GOTTA HOOK IT UP,WE RUN ALOT OF THESE AAAAA++++++ WHEN YOU GET IT YOU'LL BE GGGGGGOOOOOOONNNNNNNEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!! YOU DON'T WANT TO BE BEHIND ONE THEY FIRE BACK ALOT OF DEBRIESE.[/b]
Took my blocks out for the same reason, pull the limiter in a bit if you get too much ski lift.......................get the odd complaint about snow flying when I throttle hard over a hill, teaches the tailgater's right IMHO. LOL

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The coupling blocks are out.Maybe it was the soft snow conditions...
Not getting much ski lift,also i think my rear shock is toasted,time to take out the skid and rebuild the shocks !

·
Premium Member
3,839 Posts
Hey guys,

Just put nearly 400 miles in the last two weeks on my 2003 ZR 900 SnoPro with a new 1.25 Ripsaw and 192 Woody's 1.350 studs.
Thinking of getting a ripsaw for your big bore sled and studding the track... One word.... DON'T....
The f.....g track is way too soft and look at the pattern of the lugs. Does it remind you of a rake or a comb,well that is basically what it does to the snow
when you accelerate.My son's ZR 600 with a 1.25 paddle type track with full lugs and 144 studs just leaves me f.....g standing there while i spin the heck out
of my machine.We both have D&D clutch kits and i have a few HP tweaks on my machine.
One word of logical advice,stick with the full lug tracks on the big bores and leave the ripsaws for the stock non studded machines,you want your track clawing at
the snow not raking it.
That is my personal opinion and if i had the choice to do it over again i would not by a ripsaw for this type of sled....

Have a great season ![/b]
my dad has a ripsaw on his 96 600 XCR and she works unbelieveable with it. awesome hook up :linemup:

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I took the sleds off the trailer and let them thaw out in the garage today and sure enough my rear shock
is toasted.Maybe that's why it wasn't tranfering and hooking up as well as i would have expected...
I think after i mow my lawn tomorrow i will take out the skid and rebuild my shocks... lol
Guess the ripsaw gets another chance ! ! !

·
Premium Member
5,136 Posts
I've read alot about how a standard 6 pitch track hooks up better and is better off trail, and I agree. I started out with a 1.25 6 pitch (only thing avail in 144", at the time) and it was an animal! The thing I love about the Ripsaw (and I think I had one of the first made) is it has good traction for all around trail riding, allows me to get my "Ladder Truck" around a corner a little better, and most of all, the difference at speed is amazing, I know not everyone spends all day on the lake but the lack of wind resistance in the tunnel makes a big difference, I picked up 5-6 MPH on top end.

·
Registered
1,809 Posts
I've read alot about how a standard 6 pitch track hooks up better and is better off trail, and I agree. I started out with a 1.25 6 pitch (only thing avail in 144", at the time) and it was an animal! The thing I love about the Ripsaw (and I think I had one of the first made) is it has good traction for all around trail riding, allows me to get my "Ladder Truck" around a corner a little better, and most of all, the difference at speed is amazing, I know not everyone spends all day on the lake but the lack of wind resistance in the tunnel makes a big difference, I picked up 5-6 MPH on top end.[/b]
Yeah, I was pleasantly surprised when I first got my sled and set it up. I extended it with the 136" Ripsaw(216 Woody's 1.325's) on it before I ever rode it and then when I was setting up the clutching I was hitting 115-116 GPS with stock gearing on an 80 acre lake making runs of maybe 1800-2000 feet. Didn't expect that much topend with an 1 1/4" track:Wow1:

·
Premium Member
3,839 Posts
Hey guys,

the snow not raking it.

Have a great season ![/b]
no afence but if you are spining, its probably the studs fault, cause everybody says the track works excellent.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I love my 1.25 Ripsaw. I hook up great and I only run 96 studs down the middle. You got to get that weight transfer correct. Get some ski lift then start tightening up the front limiters down. Worked for me.

·
Registered
446 Posts
I took the sleds off the trailer and let them thaw out in the garage today and sure enough my rear shock
is toasted.Maybe that's why it wasn't tranfering and hooking up as well as i would have expected...
I think after i mow my lawn tomorrow i will take out the skid and rebuild my shocks... lol
Guess the ripsaw gets another chance ! ! ![/b]
I have noticed that when people think they need more traction they go to buy a new track. Maybe what thay need is to make sure their rear springs are still in good shape first. It is the springs that push the track down into the ground for traction. You will never see a race sled with soft rear suspension.
I love the Ripsaw and the Predator 1.25" On hard pack it acts close to haveing nails in a 1" track. I change out my rear spring every two years and I weigh only 160lbs. Just my opinion.
CatmanCan

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I had to buy a new track because the dumbass who previously owned the sled understudded it and it tore 7 studs through the track. It only had 120 studs and believe it or not they were 1 inch long,not even protruding past the lugs... I bought the machine used and i got a really good deal !
It was a Sno Pro track,1.375 lugs Camoplast original A/C . The rest of the track was beautiful...
I believe that the rear suspension may have been on the soft side as the rear shock is in serious need of a rebuild. As for the rear springs,being a Sno Pro model,they are stiffer than a regular 900. The sled only has 2147 miles on it.
From the feedback i got from this post,i apologize to all Ripsaw owners and i can't wait to try it again with my machine in top form again... lol

1 - 15 of 15 Posts