Hardcore Sledder banner
81 - 100 of 102 Posts

·
Registered
2022 Polaris Indy XC 650 137...2017 Ski-Doo renegade 900...
158 Posts
the 72 Motoski on the right was my first snowmobile purchase in high school... The skiroule was the sled that I picked when my father was buying 68 and 69 Johnson ski horse... My father won since he was buying... LOL...
Vehicle Photograph Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive design
Clothing Outerwear Green Motor vehicle Vehicle

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #84 ·
Could recall my first bag trip with F troop, one of the guys with us had a new 440 motoski. It did the entire weeks trip without breaking down, totally unlike the other guys that had ski doo everest 440's. We had to visit a ski doo dealer everyday for something.
My cousins had an F340 and an F440…and you are right, they were bulletproof. Also fairly advanced for 1973…fwd mounted engine, and slide rail suspension…even a kill switch.

·
Registered
47,607 Posts
yeah god knows what was done.your probably right.
One of or prominent drag racers had one that was fast as hell. They ran it at one un-sactioned drag in a 600 trail class of run what you brung. It destroyed other triple 600's bad. They had gone so far as an open chain case spraying wd 40 on the gears every time it ran.

·
Premium Member
7,495 Posts
One of or prominent drag racers had one that was fast as hell. They ran it at one un-sactioned drag in a 600 trail class of run what you brung. It destroyed other triple 600's bad. They had gone so far as an open chain case spraying wd 40 on the gears every time it ran.
all i knows is it was loud as hell and not great off the line but mid to top it was walking down everything it ran. probably only thing 600 was the hood for all i know.lol. it was the only one i seen race

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #88 · (Edited)
Another one from the vintage days..1974 Ski Doo Elan 294SS. Still magneto ignition, Tillotson carb, engine in your lap, narrow ski stance and high CG…. but slide rail suspension!!!!! Much easier to ride than the Johnson….and taught me how to handle a sled that wasn’t exactly built for quick turns.

Attachments

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #89 ·
Well….Johnson’s and Elan’s are not the most exciting sleds, but this was a fun sled. My father picked up a 1974 Ski Doo 440 TNT F/A that had been sitting for who knows how long, for a few hundred dollars. Started right up and never gave a lick of trouble. Though Ski Doo was still using Tillotson carbs, it was easy to start…probably due to having CD ignition. Rear suspension was a bit stiff, but few sleds rode well in those years. Though not a screamer….though not a slouch, it was a very good trail sled as it was light and handled well. Loved my Indy 400, but this was also a favorite.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,982 Posts
My father picked up a 1974 Ski Doo 440 TNT F/A that had been sitting for who knows how long, for a few hundred dollars.
Had a family friend with 1974 Ski Doo 340 TNT F/A back in the day, it screamed for a 340. I added some orange highlights to my old 2009 T'NT in tribute to it.

Reactions: Newbomb

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #92 ·
Always thought these were cool from the first time I saw…and heard one. The tuned dual pipes probably helped the unique sound. Didn’t see too many but there was a 7500 and 9500 nearby. Never rode one, but always wondered if these were just good in a straight line or if the were good trail sleds also…..ok a good trail sled for the leaf spring era. Perhaps some of our members who have experience with these could chime in.

Attachments

·
Registered
47,607 Posts
Always thought these were cool from the first time I saw…and heard one. The tuned dual pipes probably helped the unique sound. Didn’t see too many but there was a 7500 and 9500 nearby. Never rode one, but always wondered if these were just good in a straight line or if the were good trail sleds also…..ok a good trail sled for the leaf spring era. Perhaps some of our members who have experience with these could chime in.
Never owned those only a 74 400 fa ski doo, but i have taken rides on buddies back in the day when we swapped sleds. I can tell nothing exceptional stands out except they were very unreliable sleds.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #94 · (Edited)
A few more…IMHO….cool sleds from the leaf spring days.
Did not see too many of these….though when going to visit my grandparents there was a Kawasaki and John Deere dealer that we drove by….never stopped😖. Thought the Invaders and the Interceptor for the one year it was produced were very cool sleds. Like the Blizzard, always would like to hear from members that have experience with these sleds….the good, the bad and the ugly. As a side note, classic ad with a guy jumping a snowmobile in a cowboy hat.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,982 Posts
In 1986, I got off of what I considered my "fast" 1983 Polaris Sport 440 and tried my neighbor's Kawasaki Interceptor 440 ..... I was blown away.

·
Registered
882 Posts
In 1986, I got off of what I considered my "fast" 1983 Polaris Sport 440 and tried my neighbor's Kawasaki Interceptor 440 ..... I was blown away.
I believe the 440 was called the invader, they later came out with the 550 they called the interceptor. They had the race of champions in eagle river with identical prepared 550s for a big promotion in its release. I owed both back in the day, they where fast!

·
Registered
4,982 Posts
I believe the 440 was called the invader, they later came out with the 550 they called the interceptor. They had the race of champions in eagle river with identical prepared 550s for a big promotion in its release. I owed both back in the day, they where fast!
You're right!

·
Registered
47,607 Posts
Those 440 invaders were slow. I could remember a lot of other manufactures 440's were killing them.

81 - 100 of 102 Posts