Hardcore Sledder banner
61 - 80 of 102 Posts

Premium Member
My favorite one I owned from back in the day. Also the first IFS sled I rode. It was fairly light, great handling, very quick for 400, just all around fun. Would I trade my 600 IQ Shift 136 or my hopefully arriving 650 XC 137, no鈥ut certainly would not mind adding one to the stable.馃槉
Wish I had a pic of mine, but no cell phone cameras then.
there heavy by todays standards by quite abit , but comparing them to there competition in the 80s and 90s', i think the indy's were the best looking by far throughout the 80s and till the mid 90s before doo , cat and yamaha caught up imo.

handling i personally think were the best, cat really closed the gap with the aws and the early 90s zr's. some would say better, but i give the nod to the indys still.

my brothers 91' 650 triple with pipes, porting , some other stuff and studded for bear was my first taste of what i would consider a powerful sled. keep in mind i was 13 years old and used to a 340 ovation. That triple felt like a 300 hp 1400 to me back then. thing engaged at 5200 rpm.

my brother passed on just a couple years after.one of the best memories was him coming home xmass time, throwing me the keys and saying tan her, dont be a pussy.theres a xcr 600 my buddy got thats due for a tanning and your lighter then me.'

came back white as a ghost and smiling ear to ear.' thata boy.shes no fucking 340 is she ?'

needless to say, a huge role he played in getting me into sleds. I miss him man , and the sight of those old indys just triggers such great nostalgia for me and some of the best bonding moments sneaking me beers and out in the shed talking shit about sleds and what makes them fast. i was 17 when he passed and he was 23. looked up to the guy my entire life at that point and were becoming more like buddies then the typical fighting growing up as kids. it was devastating to me.

so yeah, maybe theres some indy bias in there too. either way, early wedges were sick and looked fast just sitting there. I loved those too.

Reactions: Newbomb

Registered
2005 polaris 700 XC-SP F/O & 1980 Polaris TX-L
My favorite one I owned from back in the day. Also the first IFS sled I rode. It was fairly light, great handling, very quick for 400, just all around fun. Would I trade my 600 IQ Shift 136 or my hopefully arriving 650 XC 137, no鈥ut certainly would not mind adding one to the stable.馃槉
Wish I had a pic of mine, but no cell phone cameras then.
beautiful sled. 馃浄 I had a 86 Indy 400. It was extremely reliable, and fast for a small displacement sled.

Registered
there heavy by todays standards by quite abit , but comparing them to there competition in the 80s and 90s', i think the indy's were the best looking by far throughout the 80s and till the mid 90s before doo , cat and yamaha caught up imo.

handling i personally think were the best, cat really closed the gap with the aws and the early 90s zr's. some would say better, but i give the nod to the indys still.

my brothers 91' 650 triple with pipes, porting , some other stuff and studded for bear was my first taste of what i would consider a powerful sled. keep in mind i was 13 years old and used to a 340 ovation. That triple felt like a 300 hp 1400 to me back then. thing engaged at 5200 rpm.

my brother passed on just a couple years after.one of the best memories was him coming home xmass time, throwing me the keys and saying tan her, dont be a pussy.theres a xcr 600 my buddy got thats due for a tanning and your lighter then me.'

came back white as a ghost and smiling ear to ear.' thata boy.shes no fucking 340 is she ?'

needless to say, a huge role he played in getting me into sleds. I miss him man , and the sight of those old indys just triggers such great nostalgia for me and some of the best bonding moments sneaking me beers and out in the shed talking shit about sleds and what makes them fast. i was 17 when he passed and he was 23. looked up to the guy my entire life at that point and were becoming more like buddies then the typical fighting growing up as kids. it was devastating to me.

so yeah, maybe theres some indy bias in there too. either way, early wedges were sick and looked fast just sitting there. I loved those too.
Have you ever ridden the srx 600 or 700? Imo, they took the old polaris wedge chassis, and just made it better. Those srx's were like a slot car as long as the trails weren't too rough. You couldn't get that inside ski lift with one like a lot of polaris indy wedge sleds.

Registered
I bought one of my daughters a 1979 500 Centurion, fast but rode like crap.
Our guys made those 500 triples into a 605 back in the day. They ran only a couple sleds slower in 1000' than our 707 big bores. Those old leaf spring centurion's rode worse than my leaf sprung Yamaha SS440 and that was pretty bad.

Registered
2005 polaris 700 XC-SP F/O & 1980 Polaris TX-L
Have you ever ridden the srx 600 or 700? Imo, they took the old polaris wedge chassis, and just made it better. Those srx's were like a slot car as long as the trails weren't too rough. You couldn't get that inside ski lift with one like a lot of polaris indy wedge sleds.
that's probably because they were so heavy. no ski lift.

Registered
that's probably because they were so heavy. no ski lift.
They didn't feel any heavier than an indy 650...the one i rode felt just like a xlt, just planted better. In fact the 700 srx reminded me of my 95 xcr 600 after i triple piped it, but quieter. The srx had a more comfortable seat to.

Registered
2022 Polaris Indy Matryx 850 VR1 137
72 Cats hold a sweet spot in my heart now.. just picked this 340 up in April. Was driving to the gas station one morning and it was on a trailer... $600. All original minus the windshield. Collected dust in a barn for 25 years. 3600 original miles, everything works, seat is good. I'm excited to throw some miles on er this winter! Guy I bought from also pulled a 72 440 panther out of the barn so I'll more than likely own that one too haha.
Tire Automotive lighting Automotive tire Wheel Motor vehicle

Premium Member
They didn't feel any heavier than an indy 650...the one i rode felt just like a xlt, just planted better. In fact the 700 srx reminded me of my 95 xcr 600 after i triple piped it, but quieter. The srx had a more comfortable seat to.
driven that style yamaha too.there ok. i like them. feel alot smaller when your on it then looking at it, especially compared to my old mach z that felt humongous out in front of you sitting on it. handled much better then my z did.

i was talking early 90s for the indy handling the best.the others caught up by 98' when the srxs were first out..cats handling was sharp too by then. the twin zr's railed. my 03's were arguably the best handling sled ive ever riden imo.ride was nice over stutters too, which helped. way soft for anything bigger then stutters though, even when i put hd springs on it.

Reactions: too slow

Registered
driven that style yamaha too.there ok. i like them. feel alot smaller when your on it then looking at it, especially compared to my old mach z that felt humongous out in front of you sitting on it. handled much better then my z did.

i was talking early 90s for the indy handling the best.the others caught up by 98' when the srxs were first out..cats handling was sharp too by then. the twin zr's railed. my 03's were arguably the best handling sled ive ever riden imo.ride was nice over stutters too, which helped. way soft for anything bigger then stutters though, even when i put hd springs on it.
Back in the early 90's you could make those indys handle on rails buying the wider sp sway bar kit, and radius rod ends, plus add fox gas shocks, and race skis....basically what i did on the chassis of a 400 i converted for ovals after building a full mod fuji 440 for it. In the end i ended up with a rotax 440 in it to be competitive.

Premium Member
Back in the early 90's you could make those indys handle on rails buying the wider sp sway bar kit, and radius rod ends, plus add fox gas shocks, and race skis....basically what i did on the chassis of a 400 i converted for ovals after building a full mod fuji 440 for it. In the end i ended up with a rotax 440 in it to be competitive.
the rotax motors were strong in the early 90s. the chassis were complete pigs though.,

my buddy bought a 94 formula z 583 in the f chassis.

seemed real snappy..felt like it was made out of cast iron frying pans. that thing was so heavy for a twin.it almost didnt make sense.they hiding a boat anchor in here somewhere?' ;p;

more room under the hood you could rent it out as an apartment . what a ridiculous sled, twin looked silly sitting in there.huge hood.

my other buddy bought the s chassis version and wow, it was like they shed 200 lbs in 2 years by looks and feel.

Registered
the rotax motors were strong in the early 90s. the chassis were complete pigs though.,

my buddy bought a 94 formula z 583 in the f chassis.

seemed real snappy..felt like it was made out of cast iron frying pans. that thing was so heavy for a twin.it almost didnt make sense.they hiding a boat anchor in here somewhere?' ;p;

more room under the hood you could rent it out as an apartment . what a ridiculous sled, twin looked silly sitting in there.huge hood.

my other buddy bought the s chassis version and wow, it was like they shed 200 lbs in 2 years by looks and feel.
This a sno pro rotax 440, about a 110 hp, not the consumer 440 in trail sleds.

Premium Member
This a sno pro rotax 440, about a 110 hp, not the consumer 440 in trail sleds.
yeah but the trail motors werent bad. shit the old 780 and formula 3 600s in the f pig chassis still hauled ass despite the weight and size.

Premium Member
Those formula III 600's were turds here. My 95 xcr 600 with the pipes would destroy them.
i seen em go. musta been a lemon or the one i saw a freak runner, cause it was a missle from what i saw.

ugly as sin , but a missle.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #77 ·
Well鈥.this certainly isn鈥檛 my favorite vintage sled, but was my first. 1967 Johnson Skee Horse. Weighed app the same as a Sherman tank, powered by a solid 14 HP OMC engine鈥.and the smooth ride delivered by a boogie wheel suspension. 馃槼馃槚馃槚. Was app nine years old when I started driving, vs riding, it and it was not pretty. Just trying to turn it was a major challenge and boogie wheel bolts laying in the snow also wasn鈥檛 attractive. Ohhhh鈥 crappy carb in your lap along with breaker point ignition made a joy to start. My father soon sold it and got a Ski Doo Elan 294SS鈥.but that is another story.

Attachments

Registered
Well鈥.this certainly isn鈥檛 my favorite vintage sled, but was my first. 1967 Johnson Skee Horse. Weighed app the same as a Sherman tank, powered by a solid 14 HP OMC engine鈥.and the smooth ride delivered by a boogie wheel suspension. 馃槼馃槚馃槚. Was app nine years old when I started driving, vs riding, it and it was not pretty. Just trying to turn it was a major challenge and boogie wheel bolts laying in bed
Well鈥.this certainly isn鈥檛 my favorite vintage sled, but was my first. 1967 Johnson Skee Horse. Weighed app the same as a Sherman tank, powered by a solid 14 HP OMC engine鈥.and the smooth ride delivered by a boogie wheel suspension. 馃槼馃槚馃槚. Was app nine years old when I started driving, vs riding, it and it was not pretty. Just trying to turn it was a major challenge and boogie wheel bolts laying in the snow also wasn鈥檛 attractive. Ohhhh鈥 crappy carb in your lap along with breaker point ignition made a joy to start. My father soon sold it and got a Ski Doo Elan 294SS鈥.but that is another story.
the snow also wasn鈥檛 attractive. Ohhhh鈥 crappy carb in your lap along with breaker point ignition made a joy to start. My father soon sold it and got a Ski Doo Elan 294SS鈥.but that is another story.
My 1st was a 70 Ski doo Nordic 399. I feel all the pain you speak of馃槨. It was enough to get me hooked though! Seemed fast back then and going for a 10 mile ride seemed like the trails were endless. Those were still great times.

61 - 80 of 102 Posts