Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 20 of 102 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok Sled Heads
It’s summer and we can’t ride, but we can remember.

Was thinking reminiscing about some of our favorite sleds from back in the day would be a good summer project.

Will start the discussion by listing some of my favorites in different categories…obviously not all inclusive.

Entry level sled
Arctic Jag and Yamaha Enticer
The Jags had especially good fuel mileage…most tests on the Jag 2000 were over 40 MPG. Had some seat time on a Jag 2000 and it was a great all around sled.
Both the Jag and Enticer had CD Ignition, good carbs and the Enticer had oil injection. These were all big upgrades back in the late 70’s and early 80’s. Both companies sold a ton of these and many learned snowmobiling on these sleds

Trail Performance
Polaris Indy 400
Had one of these and was an outstanding trail sled and no slouch in the straight away
Late Model John Deere Liquifire
It was marketed as a performance sled, and it was no slouch, but as Kawasaki would not sell John Deere Invader engines, JD had to get creative. They made it as light as they could which made it a great trail performer

Luxury
Kawasaki Invader
It was performance and luxury in one…which may have hurt its sales as it was kinda of its own niche. Drop dead gorgeous looks, great marketing…anyone remember the Darth Invader poster?
Arctic Cat Pantera
Another gorgeous sled, good power…not Invader power but a solid performer

Performance
9500/9700 Ski Doo Blizzards
Great looks and performance. Like the Invader, they had a sound all to themselves….tuned pipes probably helped.
As a side note, the 1980 Moto Ski Ultra Sonic was one of my favorite Moto Ski color schemes, and obviously performed just as a Blizzard
Arctic El Tigre’s
Beautiful sleds, both liquid and free air and great performance
And for it’s one year, the Kawasaki Interceptor was an absolute screamer.

Race Sleds
1976-77 Yamaha SRX
Very light with a very high HP engine. 340 and 440 in ‘76…440 only in ‘77
Sno Jet Thunderjet
Another company that got innovative due to not having the highest HP engines. Extremely light sled….and free air jugs through the cowling was always cool. Both won their fair share of oval races.

The sled that in my humble opinion changed it all:
Polaris TXL Indy
Oval racing started waning by the lates ‘70s but XC h racing had not.
Arctic Cat with the Trail Cat and Ski Doo with the 5500 Blizzard MX/Moto Ski Sonic MX tried IFS, but did not really know where the sleds fit. Polaris knew what they wanted IFS to do and they put the TXL engine in the Indy chassis and had a winner. Soon it launched the Indy 500…with the Unser Brothers promoting the sleds and Polaris began its run as the leading sled production leader until Ski Doo rang in the modern era.

Hope this is a fun topic and look fwd to your favorites and comments

·
Registered
2005 polaris 700 XC-SP F/O & 1980 Polaris TX-L
2,130 Posts
well.... this a topic I can definitely get excited about. I love vintage sleds.
i will just list my favorites.
first and foremost, I'm a diehard TX fan.
TX
TX STARFIRE
TX- L
78 RXL
POLARIS EDGE
RUPP MAGNUM
SNO TWISTER
MOTO SKI ULTRA SONIC
SNOW JET THUNDER JET
I have more, but these are my tops.

this is my pride and joy. its been my baby for 30 years this past March.
Snow Vehicle Watercraft Snowmobile Automotive tire
Snow Motor vehicle Automotive tire Tree Vehicle

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
well.... this a topic I can definitely get excited about. I love vintage sleds.
i will just list my favorites.
first and foremost, I'm a diehard TX fan.
TX
TX STARFIRE
TX- L
78 RXL
POLARIS EDGE
RUPP MAGNUM
SNO TWISTER
MOTO SKI ULTRA SONIC
SNOW JET THUNDER JET
I have more, but these are my tops.

this is my pride and joy. its been my baby for 30 years this past March. View attachment 2134323 View attachment 2134324

·
Registered
47,614 Posts
Geez i still like riding my vintage edge, but don't consider it vintage yet....gotta be of the last century.
The 81 SRV, 85 vmax 540, and 87 indy 400 were some of my favorite's.
Should do a poll of the ugliest sled of all time.....with my vote going to the ski doo stratos. Sled looks like it belongs on star trek.

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
Geez i still like riding my vintage edge, but don't consider it vintage yet....gotta be of the last century.
Should do a poll of the ugliest sled of all time.....with my vote going to the ski doo stratos. Sled looks like it belongs on star trek.
I know... 🤣 I figured you would comment on my vintage Edge listing.
however the 2000 through 2001 edges are.
I too don't think of them as vintage yet. too me the style still looks as if there new.

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
I totally agree. my brother in law had a 88 stratos. it was the funniest looking thing I ever seen at the time. it was warm though.
Product Automotive lighting Vehicle Watercraft Toy

·
Registered
47,614 Posts
I totally agree. my brother in law had a 88 stratos. it was the funniest looking thing I ever seen at the time. it was warm though. View attachment 2134326
I did a bag trip with 3 of those ugly suckers back around 85-86. One would chit the bed on monday, then another a day later. I still have nightmares riding my vmax towing those ugly chitbox's.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
On another note while on the topic of vintage sleds, how about changes to them that most improved our sport.
Starting with a few
Slide rail suspension. Anyone who has ridden a bogey wheel suspension knows this was the beginning of improved ride quality. Nothing like feeling every bump with three inches of travel and seeing the bogey wheel bolts in the snow

CD ignition. starting breaking point engines was a great way for young kinds getting full knowledge of the English…or French… language.

Mikuni and Kiehn carburetors. See above for the joys of a Walbro or Tilotson equipped engine

Oil injection Not only it ended shaking the gas can, but also opened up longer rides…or at least made them easier… as you could just pull up to the pump to refuel instead of trying to figure out how much oil to add.

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
On another note while on the topic of vintage sleds, how about changes to them that most improved our sport.
Starting with a few
Slide rail suspension. Anyone who has ridden a bogey wheel suspension knows this was the beginning of improved ride quality. Nothing like feeling every bump with three inches of travel and seeing the bogey wheel bolts in the snow

CD ignition. starting breaking point engines was a great way for young kinds getting full knowledge of the English…or French… language.

Mikuni and Kiehn carburetors. See above for the joys of a Walbro or Tilotson equipped engine

Oil injection Not only it ended shaking the gas can, but also opened up longer rides…or at least made them easier… as you could just pull up to the pump to refuel instead of trying to figure out how much oil to add.
yup all of that and some.
the few that really pop out to me is, polaris's extra 10 and 12. and definitely polaris's IFS.

1 - 20 of 102 Posts