Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2,553 Posts
Thanks Paul. I had a buddy that was up riding solo after we left Saturday morning. Just had a gut check. I was able to get ahold of him.
Friday night it was snowing so hard you couldn't hardly see going 35 mph. Came across 13c to spring camp road around 8. Terrible.

·
Premium Member
6,100 Posts
Can someone please confirm when this happened?
I also had some friends riding up there about the same age. Here's the details

Still sad RIP

** Snowmobiling Fatality On Trail 17 Near Oma Wisconsin **
On the night of Friday December 30th, the Iron County Sheriff's Department received a report of a missing snowmobiler. During their search efforts, at approximately 10:20 AM on Saturday December 31st, Sheriff's department personnel located a snowmobile crash scene on Trail 17 in the town of Oma.
According to Iron County Sheriff Tony Furyk, the snowmobiles operator, a 45 year old male from Illinois, was unresponsive and later pronounced dead by Iron County Coroner Diane Simonich. The snowmobile was travelling Southbound on Trail 17 when it left the trail and struck several trees. Speed is believed to be a factor in the crash.
Members of the Iron County Sheriff's Department, Hurley Police Department, Wisconsin State Patrol, Hurley Fire Department - Snowmobile Rescue and Iron Country Coroner assisted at the scene. The crash remains under investigation by the Iron County Sheriff's Department and Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources. The name of the victim is being withheld pending notification of next of Kin.

·
Administrator
2021 VR1 Eight-Fiddy HYPERSLED!!
20,585 Posts
I hate seeing this stuff ... so sad, especially during the holidays season. RIP

·
Public Relations Officer
Cat SX
15,773 Posts
Yep. Another in N. MN too.

Gotta remember what we are doing out there and what the risks are. "Fun" has a way of erasing common sense.

Sad.

·
Registered
2,553 Posts
Yes me too Chris!
Seriously, I was leading Friday night and it was snowing those giant flakes hard. I was only going 35 and kept checking over my shoulder to see my 12 yr old behind me. Him , 3,4,5,6th sleds said they couldn't see anything but a taillight and the red reflector on the back my son's helmet through the dust. There were times I know I wasn't going 20 it was so bad. When we got home it was a good feeling. I explained to my boy that when it gets like that, slow down as much as it takes to see and get your ass to home or somewhere safe, that's when accidents happen. It only takes a millisecond. How it saddens me, I was right.

·
Administrator
20,585 Posts
Yes me too Chris!
Seriously, I was leading Friday night and it was snowing those giant flakes hard. I was only going 35 and kept checking over my shoulder to see my 12 yr old behind me. Him , 3,4,5,6th sleds said they couldn't see anything but a taillight and the red reflector on the back my son's helmet through the dust. There were times I know I wasn't going 20 it was so bad. When we got home it was a good feeling. I explained to my boy that when it gets like that, slow down as much as it takes to see and get your ass to home or somewhere safe, that's when accidents happen. It only takes a millisecond. How it saddens me, I was right.
Those are words to live by for all of us, not just your son (great advice!) :thumbsup: I'm glad you guys were able to put on some miles, and came home safely. Hopefully this will be a year of fewer fatalities.

·
Registered
494 Posts
It was my buddy Bryan. I was at the site today. Yes he was flying South out of Hurley on Trail 17 and just as the trail cuts to the right he went straight and hit a few trees. His girlfriend thought he just hauled ass down the trail for some time or got lost cause she kept heading South by herself until she reached the Cranberry Inn where she called police and reported him missing. . She drove right by him in the ditch/trees. there he lay for approx. 12 hours until he was found around 10:30 the next day. I cant believe it! Totally experienced rider leading in front of his girlfriend. This happened about a minute from my house. So i'm laying in bed at 11 at night on Friday and he's lying off trail in the ditch at the same time less than half mile from my home dying. Unreal.

·
Registered
2,533 Posts
It was my buddy Bryan. I was at the site today. Yes he was flying South out of Hurley on Trail 17 and just as the trail cuts to the right he went straight and hit a few trees. His girlfriend thought he just hauled ass down the trail for some time or got lost cause she kept heading South by herself until she reached the Cranberry Inn where she called police and reported him missing. . She drove right by him in the ditch/trees. there he lay for approx. 12 hours until he was found around 10:30 the next day. I cant believe it! Totally experienced rider leading in front of his girlfriend. This happened about a minute from my house. So i'm laying in bed at 11 at night on Friday and he's lying off trail in the ditch at the same time less than half mile from my home dying. Unreal.
Real sorry to here and when you put it that way it sounds even worse

·
Registered
296 Posts
Sorry to hear about your buddy. Have a feeling this could happen to any of us if something just slightly goes wrong or catch something unexpectly....

·
Registered
467 Posts
Been on trail 17 many times, know the cut you are referring to you. Whether you are going south or north, there are a couple of cuts and they can sneak up in a hurry. I have seen way too many paths into the woods in this area. Stay safe my fellow sledders.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Yes me too Chris!

Well said!

·
Registered
468 Posts

So sad, sorry to hear that. I have been riding my whole life and to be honest the past few years, I have slowed down big time.....and, I worry more and more.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Horrible,,,, I got chills reading about this as its something that ran through my head when we were riding down trail 3 in the snow Christmas week.

I make a conscious effort to make sure I dont overdrive my headlights these days.

·
Registered
2,553 Posts
I like to ride hard. Too hard as a matter of fact. Pushing my sled and myself to its limits. When it gets dusty or snowing hard I back way down. Just plain freaks the shit out of me like nothing in this world. Many years ago , I was involved in a fatality accident. I drove into a complete white out traveling 60-65 mph down a lake. Total white out meaning I couldn't even see the front of the sled. Not seconds later something came over the hood and took me and my wife off the sled. That something ended up being my friend. I'm telling ya fellas there's nothing like getting out of bed every day since then. That was 17 yrs ago at the end of this month. When you can't see, slow down. I never had a chance to slow down or didn't even think to back then. I always wonder what if this or that. Just not worth it!

·
Administrator
20,585 Posts
I can't even imagine ... it's bad enough having close calls. Truer words couldn't be spoken ... when you can't see, slow the f down.

In fact, I hate to sound like a prude ... but when you're on the lake, try to stay off your buddy's bumper (or near it). Things happen way too quick on the lakes. I got launched off my sled a couple years ago, while we were going across Lake Namakagan headed towards Garden Lake and I was fortunate my buddy wasn't directly behind me. Ever since then, it was a wake up call to stay off to the sides of each other or far enough behind to react. I guess it IS possible to learn as we get older, because when I was younger there was no way I'd consider that. It was always a blast putting the ski tip on my buddy's snow flap.

Stay safe ... have fun too!! But be safe.

·
Premium Member
1,094 Posts
Just sad....I know I've slowed down the last few year and have become way more defensive as I've had a few close calls of mine own. Stay safe to all those out this weekend.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts