Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have to set my new F7 standard up. I have read a few different set-ups for the front skid shock on this web-site & none have mentioned rider weight. I weigh 250 lbs without gear. I like the sled but have some ski lift. The front skid shock is at 1.6 inches of thread showing & does not want to thread up any higher. I have lifted the rear of the sled up to adjust but no dice. The sled is not frozen there is just too much spring pressure to overcome. I have never had a skid shock that has this much pressure, normally I crank them right up. The major thing I'm trying to overcome is the tippy feeling, the sled never settles down. It feels like it just needs a little more adjustment. I read in SnowTech that Cat says the rear bumper should be between 16.5 - 18.00 off the ground while sitting on the sled & the frt bumper should be 17 inches off the ground. Well I'm fine in the rear but the frt bumper lifts higher when I sit on the sled, meaning I'm decreasing weight on the ski's. Should I loosen my front skid shock? I don't think I'll be able to get the skid shock this tight again.

·
Registered
4 Posts
why do you have the ft skid shock so tight? that is why it feels tippy. get the nose as low as possible.

we had a long thread about the ft skid shock and how the Cat performance manual says to run it as soft as possible for best results:

·
Registered
2,763 Posts
I have a snopro but rode with some that had a new standard this weekend (he weighs 245). We took his front skid shock and loosen it till the spring rattled and then tightened it 3 full turns. We then took the front shocks and by time he got the sled adjusted to his liking we losened them up around 2". His spring blocks were both on #3 and coupler blocks were on #1. His had the adjustable limiter strap and it was in the middle hole on the strap. He did not like the sled the first few miles but after we made the adjustments he loved it set up this way.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Originally posted by mikef7@Jan 27 2003, 01:50 PM
I have a snopro but rode with some that had a new standard this weekend (he weighs 245). We took his front skid shock and loosen it till the spring rattled and then tightened it 3 full turns. We then took the front shocks and by time he got the sled adjusted to his liking we losened them up around 2". His spring blocks were both on #3 and coupler blocks were on #1. His had the adjustable limiter strap and it was in the middle hole on the strap. He did not like the sled the first few miles but after we made the adjustments he loved it set up this way.
Mike, that sounds great!

That's what I like to see, HCS members helping out other (less-well-informed) Firecat owners B) B) B)

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I purchased the sled "used" with 570 miles on it & have been running the set up as I got it. Thanks for the help, I'll do this & see how it goes.

·
Administrator
20,853 Posts
Originally posted by mikef7@Jan 27 2003, 01:50 PM
His had the adjustable limiter strap and it was in the middle hole on the strap.
Mike,

Did your buddy drill holes to make his limiter strap adjustable, or did he purchase an adjustable strap and install it? I know my strap is not adjustable (on the standard suspension).

Just curious ...
Chris

·
Registered
2,763 Posts
No drilling was done. He has one built later on than most I have seen or heard of (build date of Oct 29th) and I am thinking that might be why his had the extra holes.
No problem for me to help out others. That is what this forum is for. To help out fellow riders (shouldn't matter what you ride), to get ideas on trying things out and swapping ideas.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts