Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While out riding on Wednesday around Apsley our group of 4 riders came upon a group of slower riders out enjoying the day. They weren't necessarily crawling along but rather just out enjoying the day. For the record, no kids in the group we came upon. The first rider in our group closed up on the tail rider and waited to see what was going to happen. Well nothing happened and he (tail rider) made no attempt to stay to one side and allow a pass, if anything stayed in the middle to prohibit the pass. Well he was passed shortly after that, never actually seen the move but I can't imagine it being dangerous. The next rider in our group closed in and actually waited to be let by rather than push a little. Same response from the tail rider except after 3 or 4 minutes of tailing this guy he flipped us the bird. Not here to question his move, that was his choice, only to ask this question. How often do other folks come up behind a group and see this ridiculous "stay behind me your speeding" attitude? Why in the world would you want us "speeding crazies" anywhere near you. Pull over or at the very lest slow and stay to one side. They can tear off and you can go on enjoying your day. Acting like that just steams up both parties for no reason. Especially those who ride with mirrors and you know damn well there is someone behind you, I swear that makes it worse. I have come up on groups before who wave, slow down and allow the pass to happen safely. Both parties are enjoying snowmobiling their own way and everyone is happy. Any thoughts?

As snowmobilers we have all come to accept hand signals to notify of oncoming traffic as common practice. Is it time that a procedure is developed to allow a safe overtake as common practice?

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
I always pull over to allow the faster riders to go by, but I've also had some impatient asshole pass me on a narrow path by a gate when I've had my nephew on with me. Luckily for him, my wife met us at the restaurant, otherwise asshat would have had a nice bloody nose and some teeth missing.

I, too, have come up on peeps with mirrors who won't/don't look in them, but have always waited patiently for a safe place to pass them, after all, the max speed limit is 50 kph, never had anyone offended by me passing them, if done safely, though.

·
Registered
764 Posts
If that had happened to me, especially the finger part I would have patiently sat behind and waited until an open corner. Then I would have thrown a blatent block pass on him/her and hopefully a face of snow.

·
Registered
4,224 Posts
I too have been annoyed on many an occasion. The best one ever was when we were in the Parry sound area...came up on a couple riding fairly leisurely (spelling??). He was leading, his female friend on sled behind. Well after about 5 miles of us patiently waiting behind...( and she looked back 20+times) she pulls over and lets us pass. WELL HERE WE GO...the guy in front finally notices that I am not his GF behind him. I am thinking ok...now his is gonna pull over too...NOPE...he gives it all he can to stay ahead...good opportunity to ditch the wife I guess he thought. Well now this was getting real annoying so I'll be honest me and my riding buddies stepped it up quite a bit. We pushed this guy to the outer limits of his older MX for at least 10 miles. In the end he realized the inevitable and pulled over and let us pass.....I have no idea how long he had to wait for his GF, but it must have been awhile. I too have no problems with people enjoying our sport at different speeds. And although I am definitely pushing the legal speed limits I always ride on my side of the trail, and am in complete control. The way I see it....if someone comes up from behind...you have nothing to prove..just wait for a safe moment and pull to the side....shouldn't hurt your pride too much.

·
Banned
8,101 Posts
If that had happened to me, especially the finger part I would have patiently sat behind and waited until an open corner. Then I would have thrown a blatent block pass on him/her and hopefully a face of snow.[/b]
You the man .

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
I too have been annoyed on many an occasion. The best one ever was when we were in the Parry sound area...came up on a couple riding fairly leisurely (spelling??). He was leading, his female friend on sled behind. Well after about 5 miles of us patiently waiting behind...( and she looked back 20+times) she pulls over and lets us pass. WELL HERE WE GO...the guy in front finally notices that I am not his GF behind him. I am thinking ok...now his is gonna pull over too...NOPE...he gives it all he can to stay ahead...good opportunity to ditch the wife I guess he thought. Well now this was getting real annoying so I'll be honest me and my riding buddies stepped it up quite a bit. We pushed this guy to the outer limits of his older MX for at least 10 miles. In the end he realized the inevitable and pulled over and let us pass.....I have no idea how long he had to wait for his GF, but it must have been awhile. I too have no problems with people enjoying our sport at different speeds. And although I am definitely pushing the legal speed limits I always ride on my side of the trail, and am in complete control. The way I see it....if someone comes up from behind...you have nothing to prove..just wait for a safe moment and pull to the side....shouldn't hurt your pride too much.[/b]
Well said, been there done that too!

·
Registered
267 Posts
When someone comes up behind me I wait until I feel it is safe for him to pass ( I don't slowdown unless he is really aggressive) then pull over to the side and signal him to go by. If there is a bunch of them, and a bunch of us, I try and let them go by one at a time, split them up a bit, it can sometimes be scary if 4-5 rockets fly past, especially on those dusty days. I find it helpful to wave as I go by and to signal how many are with me and will be passing.

Usually I go along so slow I do not have to worry about passing to many.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Just had this this past week. Worst yet it was on a rail line, and these guys were doing much less the the 50km/h. First guy had mirrors, pulled over slightly and signaled to pass. Front guy had a girl on the back, never turned around even though the girl kept nudging his shoulder. We came to a road, and I;m thinking great this guys gonna stop for an extra second or two to let us pass. What does he do? Not even stop for a major road :nono: I watched him do this twice, then rather rudly passed him. Figured me passing him was a lot less dangerous then him blindly crossing roads with a passengero n the back

·
Premium Member
12,762 Posts
Pet peeve is when you come up on a rider with mirrors who has clearly seen you but flat out refuses / blocks the trail so you can't safely pass.................so who's the dangerous rider now?
Asshats one and all.

·
Registered
648 Posts
This is an interesting topic. We have been in lots of these situations with varied results some easy passes and some it felt like forever to get by,we must have followed a group of tourers for 3 miles on the way to shining tree before i pulled up beside and waved at the last guy, we all got by him only to get held up by all the next six,i would bet it took a good 6 or 7 miles to clear them.We were all gased up and had our lunch ordered at the lodge in shining tree before they arrived,it turned out they were a group of 70-80 year old americans from ohio on their first trip into northern ontario.We joked with them about using their mirrors,need less to say we made sure we got going before them,funny thing that was the only sleds we say that day till just before timins

·
Registered
12,141 Posts
If they do not yeild after I make my intentions known, I go by. Doesn't matter if they want me to or not. It's no different than in the supermarket is it? If someone needs to get by, you let them.

·
Registered
2,963 Posts
i do not like to pass or be passed. normally i am catching up to other groups. i hate it when they do not look back at a stop sign to see who is behind them, or if they see other people behind them and not let them pass. obvesly they were not behind them when thy left and they and are hold up other sledders.

·
Super Advanced Lummox
17,767 Posts
I ride at my own speed fast slow whatever I feel at the moment

If riders come up behind me I pull over and let the pass,as I can not stand having someone behind me

Nothing more annoying then following a guy going 30kmph yes kilometers and the prick knows you are there and you braap to be heard but he stays in the middle of trail

that said I have pulled over for sleds and have been roosted for no good reason,as its cool to roost others not in your group

If someone annoys me I have been known to roost them BUT to roost someone for no good reason????

·
Registered
231 Posts
I've posted on here before about this topic. Drives me nuts. And for some reason the perpetrators always seem to have mirrors. And ride down the middle during a good SAFE stretch where you could pass.
Is this being done on purpose? Are they the secret enforcers of the 50 km/hr limit? (that is only reality in a narrow twisty stretch)? Seriously- someone who is a blocker- post why you do it on here. We are all curious.

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Like I said before, keeping someone behind you only ruins everyones day. Not a big fan of roosting anyone in any situation on the way by. that is just uncalled for. Would love to hear, as already stated, from someone who is on the other side of the coin and holds people up just to see what their outlook is. And also how they were treated when they were passed.

·
Registered
828 Posts
I ride at my own speed fast slow whatever I feel at the moment

If riders come up behind me I pull over and let the pass,as I can not stand having someone behind me

Nothing more annoying then following a guy going 30kmph yes kilometers and the prick knows you are there and you braap to be heard but he stays in the middle of trail

that said I have pulled over for sleds and have been roosted for no good reason,as its cool to roost others not in your group

If someone annoys me I have been known to roost them BUT to roost someone for no good reason????[/b]

On a recent ride couple of rides I have ran into this same situation, I catch up to a rider or riders and wait patiently until I am signaled to pass them. I have so far been signaled every time to pass, I pass and waive thanks to them.
Now when I do pass the rider or riders on the trails I do not do it slowly, I try and get around them as quickly and safely as possible, leave as much room between them and I........I do not want to sit there riding in the on coming lane for longer than need be, I hope I do not offend the person I am passing by doing this, but like I said I am not doing it to piss the person off just trying to get around as quickly and safely as possible.

·
Registered
828 Posts
Like I said before, keeping someone behind you only ruins everyones day. Not a big fan of roosting anyone in any situation on the way by. that is just uncalled for. Would love to hear, as already stated, from someone who is on the other side of the coin and holds people up just to see what their outlook is. And also how they were treated when they were passed.[/b]

It would be nice to hear the other side of the story but I am afraid it will probably start a bitch fest.......I think the number of people that DO NOT let others pass is a small minority....or atleast I hope it is!

·
Registered
411 Posts
This is why I like have a clutch, so I can REV my engine to the moon, and say HELLO! On our cottage road, while be riding our motocrossers, and come up behind cars, and wait for them to let us by, and if they dont well, thats their fault, heres dirt in your grill.

·
Registered
6,119 Posts
For the most part I find people are pretty good about letting me by, some tend hang on a little long waiting for the next intersection (not knowing it's sometimes 10 or 20 klm away) :furious2: Sometimes if the timings right I'll stop at an intersection and nicely ask them why they would endanger their group, rather then safely pull over and let faster riders by ..... but that's only if their well under the speed for the trail and conditions. Other then that I'll just wait till they are well aware of me and motion for a pass.

Remeber they could be riding out a broken sled or sick or injured rider, or just riding with newbies who not comfortable at the same speeds some of us are :dunno:

As for roosting someone for not letting me pass, I'd never do it, you never know whats under your track ... sure would suck to injure someone just because they were to stupid to yeild to faster traffic. Plus that kinda stuff begins to paint us all with the same brush.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts