Hardcore Sledder banner
21 - 40 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
535 Posts
Arctic Cat Suzuki 800 is very reliable and are old enough to be affordable. 2012 chassis had clutch problems that may or may not be fixed.. Any Polaris or Cat or Ski-Doo 600 are reliable enough and pretty fast.

Stay away from any 900 or 800 Polaris until 2013 or so. 2013-14 Polaris 800 is okay. 2015 and up Polaris 800s are very good but might be out of your price range.

Ptek carburetor Ski-Doo 800s are okay. Etec 800s are okay.

Old triples are great. But they are old and usually corroded and beat. Can be expensive to fix etc.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I think the Suzuki 1000 twin is undersold. I know the M1000 came in the Fcat chassis, I think the F1000 was only the 2 spar chassis? Either way, that engine made 168ish hp? not far off from the triple 1 liter from Suzuki.

If you could buy a M1000 cheap and put like a 136" track / tunnel on it with a studded track, pipe it, port it, heads, clutching. It'd be pretty fast.

·
Registered
750 Posts
I think the Suzuki 1000 twin is undersold. I know the M1000 came in the Fcat chassis, I think the F1000 was only the 2 spar chassis? Either way, that engine made 168ish hp? not far off from the triple 1 liter from Suzuki.

If you could buy a M1000 cheap and put like a 136" track / tunnel on it with a studded track, pipe it, port it, heads, clutching. It'd be pretty fast.
You are headed down a slippery slope my friend. I have witnessed guys buying mild manner turbo's and a year later+ $6000 they are still trying to be first.You have three options in my opinion: F7,any manufactures 3 hole sled or a TURBO.It's not the sled alone,there are other factors.If you live in an area that is not competitive then you will shine.

·
Registered
750 Posts

Sorry Banshee, My mistake. I thought you were the O.P. The 1000 twins have not lived up to potential.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Sorry Banshee, My mistake. I thought you were the O.P. The 1000 twins have not lived up to potential.
You are headed down a slippery slope my friend. I have witnessed guys buying mild manner turbo's and a year later+ $6000 they are still trying to be first.You have three options in my opinion: F7,any manufactures 3 hole sled or a TURBO.It's not the sled alone,there are other factors.If you live in an area that is not competitive then you will shine.
I know it's not realistic to keep up with a 850 patriot on a 10 year old motor. Just like a 93 fox body 5.0 isn't going to take down a 2019 coyote 5.0. Technology has evolved. Higher horsepower along with reliability. Just looking to turn heads next to people who don't drive a brand new sled (2015+). Banshee, are you saying the suzuki 1000 wasn't the bees knees or that it could be great if someone went that route?

·
Registered
25 Posts
There's no doubt if you pick up a cheap Yamaha RX-1 / Apex and put a turbo on it you have a fast sled.

But if you're looking at Cat sleds and want a 2-stroke, I think the 1000 twin motor is a bit overlooked. The thing made 168hp and it isn't uncommon to see them taking down 'almighty triples'. In fact, there's plenty of speed runs where a 1000 twin takes down old T-Cats. People remember the old triples as faster than they really were.

The 1000 twins may take some work, but they were overlooked for their potential if wanting them to perform in the realm you are looking for. Obviously the M chassis (Mountain Chassis) is the old Firecat chassis and not that hulking twin spar jobby chassis cat had (kermit the frog). I'm just thinking an M1000 that gets turned into a short tracker and has some work done could be a fairly quick sled. I mean, wanting a Suzuki 2-stroke as the limiting factor, that's the avenue I would consider.

·
Premium Member
22,071 Posts
As a guy that has owned every Sled mentioned in this thread so far, other than an old mxz triple and the SRX Triple, I can tell you that if you’re trying to go fast on a budget, z1 turbo is it, going to put you right there. Yes a fire cat is fast for what it was (I had them all 600/700/big bore, 180hp)) , and the Suzuki 1000 can be made over 200 hp pretty easily (mine was 214) but aZ1turbo can be 300 hp……for like 500 bucks in a tuner/flash, (and you can buy/build a straight pipe Cheap),no need for a $1000 exhaust. So much faster than the other sleds here….it’s just silly. Then if you want to trail ride it, you put the muffler back on, or shop for a trail rideable type performance exhaust during the summer.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I agree completely with that. Not only is a turbo 4 stroke fast, but you can wring it out, put it away and it's sitting there the next ready to do it all over again without any fuss.

But the OPs limiting factor is he wants a pre 2012 with a 2-stroke Suzuki engine. My assertion is the 1000 twin suzuki is overlooked as a potential fit for his criteria.

·
Premium Member
22,071 Posts
I did read that he “liked the idea” of the Suzuki, but I may have mistakenly thought he just meant “cat” as opposed to say Fuji or Rotax. If I had to stay Suzuki, the list goes like this ‘10-11 CFR 800 or ‘07-11 CFR 1000, then ‘03-04 F7 EFI. But for what any of those cost….add a grand tops, and a z1turbo is 100hp ahead

·
Registered
48,515 Posts
I agree completely with that. Not only is a turbo 4 stroke fast, but you can wring it out, put it away and it's sitting there the next ready to do it all over again without any fuss.

But the OPs limiting factor is he wants a pre 2012 with a 2-stroke Suzuki engine. My assertion is the 1000 twin suzuki is overlooked as a potential fit for his criteria.
I can tell you those old rx-1 yamaha's, and apex's with a bender turbo friggin haul the mail. Their a piss poor excuse for a trail sled, but get them on an open lake bay a few miles wide, and watch them go out of site in a hurry.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
It sounds like the majority is pro 4 stroke lol. Anyone have any experience with how much power/boost the RX1 or Z1 Turbo could handle with stock internals and a boost controller? Do they still sell parts for a rebuild and for how much are they? I know the 4 strokes go and keep on going like there is no top to the top end. I saw that the 2007 RX1 was 140-150 hp stock and the 2007 1000 crossfire made 162 on top of being lighter and no lag. Wouldn't a 1000 stand a chance against a new patriot with a clutch kit and some domes?

·
Registered
25 Posts
I forgot AC made the Crossfire 1000. I don't see a reason why you couldn't make one of those as fast as the the 850's. They are roughly same HP range. I think you'd have to spend some money on the 1000 (pipe, clutch, heads, etc like you said) but also spend some $$ lightening it up. When the lake ends, get ready to eat shyt though. :)

·
Registered
25 Posts
Wonder if this forum member still has this for sale?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
Ya, I didn't expect $5000 call it a day lol. A decent priced sled with potential after throwing go fast parts on. Pre-2012 because I heard hit and miss as far as reliability as Cat moved away from suzuki and had some manufacturing issues here in Minnesota and they were bought out not long after and Polaris was spotty pre-2015. That's why I singled out Arctic Cat. I'm no means biased if there's an equally reliable engine. Don't get me wrong Yamaha builds mean $hi+ don't get me wrong. Nothing beats boost but as this would be a trail/lake sled, a 2 stroke is probably the better choice. Sounds like the crossfire might be a good choice then

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
A pile of miles can be had with the Z1 turbo

I have 4000 miles maybe on mine, I’ve seen ones with 25k miles on 20psi boost

I have a mod stock turbo / anti lag / max94 tune / ron ward clutching all in for around 6k Canadian (including the sled)

Pulls like a freight train, will wax any 2 stroke - modded or not. Runs with the tuned 998s, tops out at 128-130mph

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

21 - 40 of 46 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.