Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking to part with a project car and get into sledding. It will be more enjoyable for me as I am trying to start a family and sleds take up less garage space then more cars would lol. And the frozen lake a block away is a plus. Not looking for something brand new as I will be buying a his and hers. $5000 or under so probably 2012 or older. Looking for as stupid fast as I can get (maybe some radr runs for fun) while sticking to a budget. Maybe F7/F8, M1000 or ZR 900? I like the idea of the Suzuki built engines.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I should have ended with which pre-2012 sleds can still compete with the new 800s across the lake?

·
Registered
704 Posts
I'm partial to the F7-F6 for His and Hers. anything old must be gone through. ALL the bearings repacked or replaced. 2004 F6 can RUN. F6 will except an 800 big bore.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks harmonysnowmobiler! His doesn't have to match hers. I'm not sure how much she would like the *** to bust loose at 80-90+ lol. Ya, I would go through the whole thing whether I got it from a dealer or joe schmoe. Better safe than sorry

·
Registered
265 Posts
I don't know what the prices are like over there but the first thing that comes to mind when using the words, older, fast, sled and lake is a Yamaha Apex or RX1. Plenty fast in a straight line and more or less bulletproof engines.

·
Registered
2020 Polaris xc 800
345 Posts
I should have ended with which pre-2012 sleds can still compete with the new 800s across the lake?
If it's just for radar runs and not trail riding...find yourself an older sled, pre-rider forward. They achieve a higher top end due to aerodynamics and will slowly walk a modern sled.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Older but modern, id go with F7 or Apex depending on what mods you want to do. not worried about the more modern chasis then SRX 700, Thundercat 1000, or Mach Z 809.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks everyone for commenting! I'm leaning towards a 2 stroke. Lighter, cheaper rebuilds and plenty of aftermarket support. Something that can run down a new/newer 800. Please include either best years or years to stay away from of each sled in your comments.

·
Registered
4,609 Posts
4-Stroke = NO Rebuilds ...... unless you over boost it

·
Registered
6,131 Posts
Not good by today’s standards on trail. But as far as speed. And running down other 2 strokes. Xcr &00 (2001 - 2003. Maybe a 99 ). Mach Z 800. (Not sure years I think 97 - 03 or 02. The 899 tripple ). And 1000 thundercats. 01 -02 srx 700 mph. Also. Maybe a ZRT 800. Tripple. If you like the cats. Etc. IMO there is not a 2 stone made today that this list can’t run down in a good distance on a lake. I think the cfr. Was a runner also. Speed wise. Keep in mind the trail manners of all these sleds is nowhere near today’s sleds. And they are getting increasingly hard to get parts for. The Xcr and mach z. Would run 114-115 pretty much showroom stock. On a stalker radar gun. I’m not sure about the listed others exactly. A 98 xc 700 would run 107. And early firecat about the same. On radar. Speedos will show a lot faster.

·
Registered
925 Posts
ZR 900. I agree with the apex, but you don’t want a 4 stroke. And you’ll never find an Xcr 800.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts