Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 20 of 145 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A fake rider is the guy with the all the stickers, magazines, etc, but when it comes time to actually pack up, spend a few bucks and ride they ALWAYS have a excuse. Examples that come to mind are:

1) Can't afford it-then why did you buy a sled?

2) No time-nah, you just have poor time management skills.

3) I've got other plans-it's winter, you claim to be into sledding, it's time to ride.

4) My sled will get stolen in Canada-I'm sorry, but the sled I bring to Canada is normally worth more then the combined value of the other 3 that I go with. I would not go if I felt I could not ride in a safe place.

I'm really sick of all these morons that wear there 'Ski-Doo' or 'RX-1' hat all year, but when the snow is a few short hours away, they just sit at home, drink beers and talk about sledding. Anyone else care to vent?

·
Registered
2,568 Posts
No venting here, just agree'ing with ya on that one.. I know a few like that but yet they won't ride with anyone but themselves, when you cannot go with.. they talk about where they were but won't go with you to the same places

·
Registered
2,114 Posts
Yeah I hear ya!! This sport became very commercialized in the past ten years!! When I ride I don't even have a name brand jacket or fancy expensive riding gear, and when it snows I ride, because you never know how long it will be around for.. Some people don't travel all over to ride because yes, money is a problem.. I'm a middle class blue collar concrete worker, who wasn't born with a silver spoon, so yes I work for a living!!! Too many yuppies have gotten into the sport and go out an buy all new gear and only ride once all year!!! That's what pisses me off!!! Like I said when it snows, I'll ride all night, and then go to work the next day and do it all over again, that's what people who love to ride due, They ride every chance they can!!!

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah I hear ya!! This sport became very commercialized in the past ten years!! When I ride I don't even have a name brand jacket or fancy expensive riding gear, and when it snows I ride, because you never know how long it will be around for.. Some people don't travel all over to ride because yes, money is a problem.. I'm a middle class blue collar concrete worker, who wasn't born with a silver spoon, so yes I work for a living!!! Too many yuppies have gotten into the sport and go out an buy all new gear and only ride once all year!!! That's what pisses me off!!! Like I said when it snows, I'll ride all night, and then go to work the next day and do it all over again, that's what people who love to ride due, They ride every chance they can!!![/b]

I'm with you. I cannot that some morons spend 1500 bucks on a riding outfit :banghead: I spent about 120 on a jacket and bibs at WalMart and it worked GREAT last year riding in Canada with just long underwear, sweatshirt and jeans under it.

I guess some people like being a walking advertisement.

T

·
Registered
751 Posts
I have a friend that always finds an excuse to not go out. Its usually he cant afford gas or he has something else to do. All year round he talks of how much hes gonna ride and he never does. Although since his Ski-Dont is broken again he has a real excuse.

·
Registered
4,366 Posts
How about the guys that couldn't be bothered to do any preventitive maintainance on their sled in the fall, and suddenly want to do it all the minute you show up with the trailer to pick them up?

Cheap-asses who do stuff like put a chain back in because they don't want to spend the money, knowing it has a cracked link, only to have it grenade in the first hour up north.

I could go on for quite awhile on this one. Luckily my wife is really into sledding and rides fast, all my lifelong buddies that used to ride now just want to sit in the first bar we stop at and drink for hours instead of riding.

·
Registered
57 Posts
i go on one trip with some of those guys, it is usually at the end of the year and it is mostly just the guys i went to high school with. during the good part of the season (if we get to it!) i ride with my buddies that love it, not bar hopping. i try to get those guys to come with the guys that love it, but they always say no. even just leaving in the morning and test, set up clutching, ect and be back that night they wont. go figure? :i_need_snow:

·
Registered
6,455 Posts
Sounds like some of my buddies. Before I bought a quad they bragged up about how they ride all the time, but then once I got my quad and asked them if they wanted to go riding they always said they were busy, or were hurt, or tired, or their quad was broke.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
How about the guys that couldn't be bothered to do any preventitive maintainance on their sled in the fall, and suddenly want to do it all the minute you show up with the trailer to pick them up?

Cheap-asses who do stuff like put a chain back in because they don't want to spend the money, knowing it has a cracked link, only to have it grenade in the first hour up north.

I could go on for quite awhile on this one. Luckily my wife is really into sledding and rides fast, all my lifelong buddies that used to ride now just want to sit in the first bar we stop at and drink for hours instead of riding.[/b]

I'm with you....they load up the sled, and it breaks 10 minutes out. In fact, lack of maintenance cost me a ENTIRE Quebec trip last year when 2 sleds broke right after heading out.

My sled is ready to ride by the start of November.

T

·
Registered
277 Posts
the most common one i here is ''o im not gonna bother buying a trail pass since we never get any snow anymore'' well why dont you trailer or put the sled in the back of the truck for a 30 min drive north, ''o i can't be bothered to pay the $180 and then pay gas to trailer my sled to the trails''

·
Registered
12,141 Posts
Don't pidgeonhole me into being fake if I don't want to spend 7 days and 600 dollars along with a 14 hour trailer tow one way to ride...I have an '04 with 3000 miles, 32 last year, none this year. I have the matching gear too. Am I fake?

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Don't pidgeonhole me into being fake if I don't want to spend 7 days and 600 dollars along with a 14 hour trailer tow one way to ride...I have an '04 with 3000 miles, 32 last year, none this year. I have the matching gear too. Am I fake?[/b]

Sounding pretty fake to me, chief. In fact, I anticipated this kind of response when I saw your screen name.

·
Registered
5,617 Posts
the most common one i here is ''o im not gonna bother buying a trail pass since we never get any snow anymore'' well why dont you trailer or put the sled in the back of the truck for a 30 min drive north, ''o i can't be bothered to pay the $180 and then pay gas to trailer my sled to the trails''[/b]
Holy shit i wish I only had to trailer 30 minutes! :banghead:

·
Registered
193 Posts
I'm with you. I cannot that some morons spend 1500 bucks on a riding outfit :banghead: I spent about 120 on a jacket and bibs at WalMart and it worked GREAT last year riding in Canada with just long underwear, sweatshirt and jeans under it.

I guess some people like being a walking advertisement.

T[/b]

So somebody is a "fake" rider just because they worked hard in school, got good grades, in turn a good job, and in turn can afford a kick ass name brand outfit? That makes a lot of sense... :wackit:

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
as far as towing to anyplace, it depends on what kind of rider you are.

some people dont know how , or are not willing to ride ditches or cross/back country. so if thier favorite place to go riding doesnt have perfect groomed trails with a foot base and 2 foot shoulders they wont go sledding period.

personaly i need about a 10ish inch snow event ( on bare ground ) to be worth driving any distance too, less if there is any base.

also fact of the matter is ,, despite what this board may lead you to belive ,, we ( hardcore sledders) are a rare and dying breed. so with fewer and fewer of us out there i have accepted the fact that if i want to sled i will be going solo. rule of thumb is , if it snows i go sledding. i dont wait for the weekend or whatever , i may wait for daylight , but i generaly go right away.

that said i can understand , familey life is > sledding , and many outher RL issues that prevent anyone from going. i have some good friends that i hardly see in the winters anymore doe to changing of prioritys, i dont resent them or anything its just the facts of life

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
So somebody is a "fake" rider just because they worked hard in school, got good grades, in turn a good job, and in turn can afford a kick ass name brand outfit? That makes a lot of sense... :wackit:[/b]

Spend whatever you want, I just get a chuckle when I guy looks like a walking billboard.

·
Registered
12,141 Posts
Sounding pretty fake to me, chief. In fact, I anticipated this kind of response when I saw your screen name.[/b]
I was riding Ski-Roules solo 8 years before you was even born sonny.. :)
Bring yer turbo-prop up here and show Uncle OT how to ditchbang will ya? lmao..

1 - 20 of 145 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.