Hardcore Sledder banner

121 - 140 of 145 Posts

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
The Ace engune family is only 3 years newer than the 1200, so hardly a massive time difference, and plenty of 4tecs on the water too.

Like I said, the 1200 would easily fit in the G4 if Doo wanted it to, but their bean counters declared that their is more money selling turbos. That is the only reason. Any other reason given is just an excuse.
The new 900 ACE TURBO is a BRAND NEW engine so its Year 1. The 4 Tec motors are on their way out at Rotax across the board, its called technology and advancement.
Yes Doo wants to make money isn't that why they make snowmobiles?:wall: Its asinine to think they don't evaluate the market and apply technology to satisfy it! Cat, Polaris, Yamaha want to make money too, its not revolutionary.
Weather your beloved 1200 will fit in the G4 is really a moot point.
In a year from now we'll know a lot more, maybe the 900 T is the biggest piece of shit Rotax has ever built :dunno:

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
Sounds like guys are ordering a whole bunch of 900T's so yes in one yr we will know how they perform, stand up etc..

·
Registered
4,790 Posts
believe it or not, there are a lot of snowmobilers that just dont care about being the first one across a lake
I never need a sled to ever go over 80mph, even on a lake, but I want it to get from 0-80 in the fastest time possible. Actually it's the 0-40mph that I want as fast as physically possible. Everything else, I could care less as long as it handles 300 mile days, back to back, all season long, reliably. Lake racing to me is like drag racing and Nascar... just plain BORING! Your traps speeds could be 200 miles per hour and it's still just completely boring to me. Trail riding at a good clip and launching off every small rise and bump in the trail- HEAVEN!

I would like to own this sled but I am worried about the cost and 1st season reliability. If I spend $16k on a sled and I have a breakdown due to 1st season reliability, I'll be just slightly cross.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Like I said, the 1200 would easily fit in the G4 if Doo wanted it to, but their bean counters declared that their is more money selling turbos. That is the only reason. Any other reason given is just an excuse.
They paid a royalty for every 1200 they sold, the 900 is their own. :4strokes:

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
They paid a royalty for every 1200 they sold, the 900 is their own. :4strokes:
Whom does BRP pay a royalty too? I'd like to know whom this royalty fee is going too.
The 1200 4tec was conceived designed and manufactured by Rotax. Just as all Rotax motors are. Although I'm repeating myself the 1200 4tec had run its course in time. The G4 is the new platform and the 1200 was to heavy and bulky (wide and tall) to fit correctly, this is why Rotax developed the ACE generation of 4 strokes in preparation of newer chassis designs. Right now Roxtax is developing a new line of 4 strokes (beside the ACE) in preparation for new models and uses. Again it will be lighter narrower and produce more power than the ACE, its called innovation. Hence the G4 2017 with the new Rotax 850 etec, this purpose built brand new engine was released in a brand new chassis this was 5yrs of R&D and testing. Things like this just don't happen it's a long term design plan with all the BRP/Rotax engineers involved.

·
Registered
914 Posts
Petronas played a part in the design and engineering of the 1200 but the engine is built by Rotax. There has always been speculation that BRP pays some sort of royalty to Petronas for their part in the development but I'm not sure anyone knows how long that might have lasted or even if they did pay any royalties at all. It's possible BRP simply paid Petronas for their work and that was it. Petronas has had several partnerships in the world of F1 racing.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Petronas played a part in the design and engineering of the 1200 but the engine is built by Rotax. There has always been speculation that BRP pays some sort of royalty to Petronas for their part in the development but I'm not sure anyone knows how long that might have lasted or even if they did pay any royalties at all. It's possible BRP simply paid Petronas for their work and that was it. Petronas has had several partnerships in the world of F1 racing.
So the Wholly owned Oil and Gas company of the Malaysia Government helped design the Rotax 4tec 1200?? I'm positive this is not the case, the motor was designed, developed and built by Rotax, no one else was involved.

·
Registered
4,539 Posts
So the Wholly owned Oil and Gas company of the Malaysia Government helped design the Rotax 4tec 1200?? I'm positive this is not the case, the motor was designed, developed and built by Rotax, no one else was involved.
Wrong Petronas. This company builds F1 engines.

·
Registered
914 Posts
At this point there is no reason debating if it (the 1200) is a complete BRP/Rotax development effort or not. The only reason the involvement of Petronas keeps coming up is over speculation of a possible royalty that is being paid on every engine built and as a possible reason why BRP decided to not redesign the new G4 chassis to make it fit.

I don't think this is the case at all. It's because the 900 Ace was being positioned as the successor to the 1200 from the start even before the naturally aspirated version was launched in 2014.

Packaging makes a much better case for why the 1200 did not make the cut. The G4 wide designed specifically for the turbo version is less than an inch wider than the narrow even with all of the extra hardware added. The package also comes in at the same weight as the existing 1200. That is significant in a category where weight is going to be looked at very closely and every pound matters.

A royalty, even if there is one, would hardly be a reason to move away from a motor that is completely proven in the sledding world and has even been a solid performer when modified and boosted at the track as well.

·
Registered
4,539 Posts
At this point there is no reason debating if it (the 1200) is a complete BRP/Rotax development effort or not. The only reason the involvement of Petronas keeps coming up is over speculation of a possible royalty that is being paid on every engine built and as a possible reason why BRP decided to not redesign the new G4 chassis to make it fit.

I don't think this is the case at all. It's because the 900 Ace was being positioned as the successor to the 1200 from the start even before the naturally aspirated version was launched in 2014.

Packaging makes a much better case for why the 1200 did not make the cut. The G4 wide designed specifically for the turbo version is less than an inch wider than the narrow even with all of the extra hardware added. The package also comes in at the same weight as the existing 1200. That is significant in a category where weight is going to be looked at very closely and every pound matters.

A royalty, even if there is one, would hardly be a reason to move away from a motor that is completely proven in the sledding world and has even been a solid performer when modified and boosted at the track as well.
I doubt paying a royalty after 9 yrs had anything to do with it. They designed a modular engine and this is the progression of it. Smart move.

·
Registered
16,836 Posts
x2,
if they had wanted the 1200 to fit into the G4 , there wouldn't be any need to redesign anything

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
The 900T was not built to compete with the Winder. The 150 hp class is one of the largest segments in sled sales. This 900 will be closer to 160 hp than 150 also. With this sled they will sell more than a Winder class sled and they won't have to be compared to the Winder. I don't think any manufacturer wants to compete with the Winder. I don't think they really could. This was a very smart safe move by Doo and I think it will be a big seller for sure.

·
Registered
745 Posts
BRP pays a royalty fee for each 1200 they sell, they didn't design the motor. They want to stop having to do that and so they came up with the 900 Turbo to replace it. Makes sense to me when you understand that side of it.
Wasn't the 1200 BRP's (Rotax's) motor? If not, whos was it then?

121 - 140 of 145 Posts