Hardcore Sledder banner

101 - 120 of 145 Posts

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Gaige2, it's all good....lol. oh, BTW...you may not have known, and for the record....yes the SRX is back. And the newest baddest feature you seemed to have overlooked. the electronic, on the fly, push of a button adjustable, upgraded, updated, fox suspension......I smell a convert. Pm me when your ready, bud. I'll do what I can to help you thru the early order process......haha....
Dude I'm READY,, haha. As I explained its an awesome sled, fast as hell and great suspension it has a lot going for it I don't think I've said anything different during all of this dialog, its a great machine. It's just not for me, if they could dump 70+ lbs off it I'd be buying one and Doo skis of course,, sorry man I had too :bc2:.
Yes I'm aware of the new Iact (not sure what Yamaha is calling it) system, as Sleepybrew said this remote type of suspension control has been done by Yamaha in the past, actually its been done by all the manufactures in the past. As suggested hopefully for YamaCat Iact works out, in the past these types of remote adjustment suspensions did not last as ice build up and foreign objects/things make it very susceptible to damage and suspension failure, but hopefully for all of us it does work this time. Did you also know this new Iact suspension is going to bump the MSRP of the Yamaha to (are you sitting down??)
Its going to be a jaw dropping $17,899 so it appears that YamaCat will again be the most expensive trail machine on the snow and heaviest too :#1:. Like I said WE WILL buy them, Yamaha's Cat's Polaris and Ski Doo we don't like it but we always do, its a sickness I think. Cheers brother enjoy your Sunday :bc:

·
Registered
163 Posts
Gaige2, it's all good....lol. oh, BTW...you may not have known, and for the record....yes the SRX is back. And the newest baddest feature you seemed to have overlooked. the electronic, on the fly, push of a button adjustable, upgraded, updated, fox suspension......I smell a convert. Pm me when your ready, bud. I'll do what I can to help you thru the early order process......haha....
Its going to be a jaw dropping $17,899 so it appears that YamaCat will again be the most expensive trail machine on the snow and heaviest too
Hmm......thanks for putting things into prospective. Now Yamaha sucks too!
Sorry guys, just playing devil's advocate. Too bad all of us can't maintain a positive attitude and be able to engage the question at hand. No worries.... I'll keep digging, lol!

Thanks for the feedback!

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
I know JT, its all in good fun. I don't even own a Doo haha, and Yamaha doesn't suck. I've enjoyed the discussions, I've also played the devils advocate and hope I haven't offended anyone because that was not my intention.
I'm just happy to see new and interesting changes to the sport, like YamaCat's new suspension and Doo's new 4 stroke turbo,,, all good things for us sledders.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I know JT, its all in good fun. I don't even own a Doo haha, and Yamaha doesn't suck. I've enjoyed the discussions, I've also played the devils advocate and hope I haven't offended anyone because that was not my intention.
I'm just happy to see new and interesting changes to the sport, like YamaCat's new suspension and Doo's new 4 stroke turbo,,, all good things for us sledders.
I'm with you 96% I wish Skidoo could have set the bar a little higher for the money.

And diehards keep missing the point I'm trying to make.

Peace, bud. Keep it moving......

·
Registered
4,539 Posts
I'm with you 96% I wish Skidoo could have set the bar a little higher for the money.

I'm not buying one either and no one has missed your point, you've said it numerous times.
Too expensive and not enough power. You've missed the point that there are buyers out there that aren't looking for 200+ hp. I know MANY 1200 owners who like what they have for power because that it is all they need. So this is a little more powerful and a bit lighter. They also have over 10k miles on them and have spent next to nothing on repairs. I'd think that is the demographic BRP is trying to make move on from the 1200.
I've always had fast sleds and spent money on making them faster but as I get older, it's not that important. I like putting on miles now not 600-1000 ft at at time.
Your on Dootalk saying the same mantra and people get tired of the same:blahblah1::blahblah1::blahblah1:. along with a few who are thinking the 900T is the second coming. Everyone knows where you and they stand. It just gets old from both sides.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Please show me dootalk post? You are mistaken, no biggie Iggy!

It's just great that ski-doo doesn't need to supply it's riders with the very best of something, not horsepower. And you enjoy! Haha! And all at a premium.

So, we as riders are looking for less, but want to pay more. Ok, I didn't know.

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
Electrical problems with Doo's? Please elaborate.
Five sleds in my group this year alone with electrical problems. Just today my buddy's 1200 endure, the speedometer stopped working. I guess the good part is that his sled had 50 less miles on the odometer than me. I could go on and on, but i'd get slammed here by the cool aid drinkers. I only report what I observe, it's up to the readers to believe it or not. I've put on 4002 miles so far this year, so I'm out there a lot.

·
Registered
16,827 Posts
Bought a nice low mile 1200 GTX last year , on the first trip 2 coils went out. But still got home under its own power. First trip this season light relay went out. My brother had to ride it home with a ledlenser headlight , lol

·
Registered
4,776 Posts
There are 2 types of Ski Doo riders... ones that have had electrical issues and ones that will! I fit into both categories!

·
Registered
163 Posts
The coil thing is an ongoing issue. It's a simple fix. Just bring a spare. Grab two three relays. May as well. Should be good to go!

·
Registered
4,776 Posts
Yep, I learned a long time ago to ride with those relays. Plus now I know which ones to buy at the auto parts stores for $4 instead of the $22 through BRP!

·
Registered
163 Posts
Yep, I learned a long time ago to ride with those relays. Plus now I know which ones to buy at the auto parts stores for $4 instead of the $22 through BRP!
Very nice find......but you could also just warm them up and put them back in. 1200 is a good sled. Rode one for a short time.

Option #2 is replace relay with solid state. I think that might put an end to that game. Not 100% positive.

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
I like this sled.. For me its always a toss up between the 600 or 800 2 strokes when I buy. I honestly don't need an 800cc but I do like the extra power at times so my last 2 have been 800etec's. So with this 900 ace turbo its making me really want to buy new because it fills the gap between the 600 and 800 and will not eat 2 stroke oil like crazy! I think its gonna be an awesome all around sled for sure and like some have already mentioned, when you get bored of 150hp, there will be a programmer and exhaust available that will turn it up to 175-200hp.
I didn't want to own another first year production motor so I bought a leftover 1200 Enduro.

Reactions: Rev M&S

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
And the HIGH COUNTRY 9000 TURBO 153” LTD is rated at 241 kg / 530 lbs dry. :dunno:

Whats up with that?
I thought the Doo was lighter.
BS! I own a 137" Sidewinder and it's close to 600 lbs. The new Thundercat is listed at 608 lbs dry. The high country 153 limited is rated 573 lbs.

·
Registered
1,834 Posts

I'm not buying one either and no one has missed your point, you've said it numerous times.
Too expensive and not enough power. You've missed the point that there are buyers out there that aren't looking for 200+ hp. I know MANY 1200 owners who like what they have for power because that it is all they need. So this is a little more powerful and a bit lighter. They also have over 10k miles on them and have spent next to nothing on repairs. I'd think that is the demographic BRP is trying to make move on from the 1200.
I've always had fast sleds and spent money on making them faster but as I get older, it's not that important. I like putting on miles now not 600-1000 ft at at time.
Your on Dootalk saying the same mantra and people get tired of the same
. along with a few who are thinking the 900T is the second coming. Everyone knows where you and they stand. It just gets old from both sides.
It is like 5lbs lighter than the 1200 tops.
For the price premium, you could easily get a 1200 to make more power. BRP could have made a HO 1200 for a $200 or less price premium.
The only people that the 900t makes world's of sense for over the 1200 are those that will throw a tune at it or those at altitude. Those that would throw a tune at it would be better off with a 998t

Ps. The only reason the 1200 doesn't fit in the G4 is because BRP didn't want it to.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Groo,, you really love that 1200 eh:lol:
Almost everything you've said is true, net weight savings will be minimal if any. Yes you could get a left over 1200 for around $12,500usd add a Turbo kit $3500, clutching $400 and have a 200hp 1200 for about $16,400usd but no warranty.
But your 1200 now weights about 30lbs more and carries the weight higher, needs 91 fuel but has 200ish HP.
The reality is the 1200 is OLD :backpeddle:, the 900 is a better motor bottom to top, the turbo is integrated so weight is less, carries it lower and the motor is narrower, it also produces 20+ hp then the 1200 which is substantial, and it comes in the new chassis too.
Yamaha could have just stuck a turbo on their Nytro 1049cc motor and called it a day but they didn't why because the 1049 is OLD 9yrs into the build when they released the 998 Turbo.
My buddy is getting a 900 turbo, he's been on 1200's for 8yrs now but he isn't moving because the 1200 is bad, or that he is head over heels in love with the 900 T its because he has no real choice with Doo. His is a 2016 X its on its last year of warranty and he's got just under 10,000miles on it so he is moving on as he always does as warranty runs out.
He's happy that they offer a XRS version so he's snow checking one, he isn't happy about the price but he said he's never been happy about the cost of sleds when he snow checks them. He won't be doing a tune he has never modified any of his sleds including 2 strokes.
I realize that he has other choices outside of Doo but when you have a dealer and mechanic that is awesome you tend to stay with them. Hey he's optimistically exited about it mostly because of the G4 platform and XRS shocks and he's getting some more HP too.
P.S He still loves the 1200 just can't get one in the Renegade this year.

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
Header, exhaust mod, tune and PB80 could be done to a 1200 for the price difference of a 900t. That combo would make very close to 900t power on 87. I wasn't talking about a turbo 1200.

The reason yamaha went with the 998 over the 1049 is because of the side by side market that has a 1000cc limit self imposed on it. It has nothing to do with engine architecture, design or even snowmobiles beyond they aren't a big enough market on their own to justify the r&d.

All that said, the 900t will no doubt be a good engine. My point is its just not enough better to justify the price of it over the price of the 1200. I suspect that is the real reason the 1200 was dropped. There was certainly room to improve the 1200, but they decided there was more money to be made selling smaller turbos.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Header, exhaust mod, tune and PB80 could be done to a 1200 for the price difference of a 900t. That combo would make very close to 900t power on 87. I wasn't talking about a turbo 1200.

The reason yamaha went with the 998 over the 1049 is because of the side by side market that has a 1000cc limit self imposed on it. It has nothing to do with engine architecture, design or even snowmobiles beyond they aren't a big enough market on their own to justify the r&d.

All that said, the 900t will no doubt be a good engine. My point is its just not enough better to justify the price of it over the price of the 1200. I suspect that is the real reason the 1200 was dropped. There was certainly room to improve the 1200, but they decided there was more money to be made selling smaller turbos.
Ahh, sorry man I thought you were talking about boosting the 1200, your right with a little tweaking and a tune you'd be right at the 150hp market and pretty cheap too.
I agree that the cost has gone up substantially, seems to be the trend with all the manufactures :dunno: sad reality indeed.
Too bad about the 1200 but the writing was on the wall when the G4 platform was released as a narrower chassis and has better centralization of weight both of these are achieved with the ACE style motors. They now use ACE motors in Sleds, side x sides, seadoos and are slowly eliminating the 4tec motors. Just as they will when the next latest/greatest engine design comes out and the ACE will be eliminated.
Cheers man.

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
The Ace engune family is only 3 years newer than the 1200, so hardly a massive time difference, and plenty of 4tecs on the water too.

Like I said, the 1200 would easily fit in the G4 if Doo wanted it to, but their bean counters declared that their is more money selling turbos. That is the only reason. Any other reason given is just an excuse.

101 - 120 of 145 Posts