Hardcore Sledder banner

41 - 60 of 145 Posts

·
Registered
16,818 Posts
for highest boost ratio the 660 cat wins - from 44 hp stock in 02. Then 55 naturally aspirated in 03 to 110hp boosted :D

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
Also, I can tell you that the 900 Ace is reliable to about 300 horsepower in stock form. It is a VERY good engine. In a snowmobile, 225 hp should be possible with just a reflash and 300 with a stock turbo upgrade.
Interesting, after reading a post made by TD that's easy for an average Joe to understand I didn't think so...

"Hey guys before you all go swap for the ski doo, check this out...
7750rpm they are tuned for... Tiny turbo much smaller than the sidewinder and as you know turbo size matters.

Low rpm means much more knock prone... Vs the 9000rpm sidewinder.
They will not respond nearly as well to tuning. Because of the small turbo almost maxed out and the low revs and small cc size..

The stock 998 motor na makes 130hp before even being turbo ans revs high. This is why the 998 is superior to the 1100 on pump gas. More tolerant to knock.

Now take a motor with 150cc less than the 1100 but it revs the same. This motor na makes 90hp.

That means the ski doo is boosted a ratio of 1.66 so 66% power increase from NA stock.

Arctic cat Suzuki was 1.44 or 44%
And sidewinder was 1.5 or 50%"
The 1049 is 130hp. I've heard the 998 is more like 110. 205/110 is 1.86.

·
Registered
16,818 Posts
110, thats lower than the old carbed 973 cc triple used in the vector / ventures etc ...?

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
110, thats lower than the old carbed 973 cc triple used in the vector / ventures etc ...?
The 998 is used in their sport side by side. I don't know if the turbo has a different cam than the SxS engine, but normally a boosted engine is not cammed agressively, so it would make sense to keep the cam with more low end. Sled engines are not normally cammed/ported for low end grunt.

Besides efi isn't free hp, so why wouldn't the old carb engine that is the same size and tuned for higher end power not make more power?

·
Registered
163 Posts
While I like the idea of a 900T. And feeling the marketing will appeal to the masses.

Can the masses afford $16k? Answer: absolutely not!

Most of the sales will come at end of year closeouts.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Doo 16K? The 2018 Sidewinder L-TX (LE) had a MSRP of $16.8K? So although they are both expensive at MSRP pricing, we both know dealers will let them go for less. Guys (and girls) are and will pay for them,, then they buy a $1200 muffler and tune, spend $300+ on clutching, $300+ on studs, $100's on carbides, windshield, tunnel protectors, hand guards, belt, scratchers, belly pan protector, secondary adjuster, GPS, Ipad, lightweight battery, 4th wheel kit, and on and on and on it goes. Yep that sure does sound like most sledders to me.

·
Registered
4,770 Posts
Yep, I've gone through this with sport bikes. And vehicles. An F150 used to cost less than $15k when I was in high school, now you need to spend $40k. That's not just inflation, it's technology and everything. It wasn't long ago the top sport bikes (I used to track race) would run you $4500 brand new off the showroom floor. Now the race liter bikes are $15k. It's just the way things go. I am really not happy spending 16k on this sled, but guess what, I'm going to.

·
Registered
4,770 Posts
Just a quick question, when you guys are comparing weights on the 850 to the new ace turbo, does the 850 have electric start? I know when alot of guys compare 4 stroke to 2 stroke sometimes they do so without adding the battery and starter weight to the 2 stroke. I'm not an electric start guy myself, but it just makes it fair.
Yes, what they don't have anymore is a pull start which is an add on. All the 850 come with e-start unless they are the mountain sleds with Shot capacitors.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Doo 16K? The 2018 Sidewinder L-TX (LE) had a MSRP of $16.8K? So although they are both expensive at MSRP pricing, we both know dealers will let them go for less. Guys (and girls) are and will pay for them,,
Bud.....For 16k at Yamaha, you are buying the fastest production sled today! Oh, and that comes with a heated seat, no less.
For $16k at Skidoo, what am I getting?

Oh, yeah thanks for acknowledging the Skidoo 900t would be like a unisex type sled. Lol! Your something.....

So like 15 more ponies than a 1200 for $4k+/-. I'm I doing the math correctly?

·
Registered
848 Posts
Bud.....For 16k at Yamaha, you are buying the fastest production sled today! Oh, and that comes with a heated seat, no less.
For $16k at Skidoo, what am I getting?

Oh, yeah thanks for acknowledging the Skidoo 900t would be like a unisex type sled. Lol! Your something.....

So like 15 more ponies than a 1200 for $4k+/-. I'm I doing the math correctly?
When you look at the pricing some are being quoted its around $2K more to spring order a 900T vs a 1200 spring order last season. That's not a ton of money for a new chassis and turbo with a factory warranty.

I get that the SW owns the HP race at the moment and at the closeout pricing my dealer has you can pick up a leftover 18' for the same price as a spring order 900T but not everyone wants a SW. Priorities are different for everyone and its nice to have choices. Doo is taking a risk bringing a sled that at least on paper will compete head to head in the trails with their still brand new 850......

·
Registered
163 Posts
900t is going to compete with 850 in the trails????

My God man, what are you saying?

Light is right when the trails get tight! That's that!!!!

For $16k what does the 900t bring to market? Please don't go to "best in class fuel economy" cause I know what your thinking. Haha.

So for $16k what is the label that we can bestow on such a Marvel?

·
Registered
4,539 Posts
While a few guys are a bit over exuberant about the 900T, I think it'll be a nice sled that'll satisfy a fairly good market of high milers. Should be able to run the big trails easily and be pretty comfortable doing it. So it doesn't do 120 mph, big deal. Are the MSRP'S cheap? Nope, but they'll be discounted and the prices will be ok. Not everyone is looking at the XRS models.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I have priced a Renegade X 900T for 13,200.With a 225 Hp tune i would gladly take that over a spine grinder.

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
In the end, it's a Doo, so expect electrical problems, among other things.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I have priced a Renegade X 900T for 13,200.With a 225 Hp tune i would gladly take that over a spine grinder.
Hmm......love to run that beast on a lake to see who breaks first. Lol!

Can't wait to see these 900T's all cranked up.
Next season is going to be the best! Lol

And you live in Wisconsin, that's great! I'll pick you up...lol

·
Registered
39 Posts
Hmm......love to run that beast on a lake to see who breaks first. Lol!

Can't wait to see these 900T's all cranked up.
Next season is going to be the best! Lol

And you live in Wisconsin, that's great! I'll pick you up...lol
Sounds like from most in the know, the 900ace is pretty stout. plenty of beef for 225hp.

Even if the SW tuned is the sled to beat on the lake, the doo will be much more enjoyable sled to own and ride for 2k miles a year. If its is fast, just a bonus. :buttrock:

i agree next season is gona be fun

·
Registered
163 Posts
Please don't think a 225hp tune on a 900t is going to be easy peezy......please, for you. Stay close to the trailer. Pulling that sled through the woods ain't going to be fun.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Please don't think a 225hp tune on a 900t is going to be easy peezy......please, for you. Stay close to the trailer. Pulling that sled through the woods ain't going to be fun.
Thanks for the advice bud. haha.

Given i had a successful year on an 850 turbo i dont expect the 900 to be any different.

P.S the sidewinders?TC's i ran into didnt fair well on the lake vs a boosted 850....

41 - 60 of 145 Posts