Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With all this melting I need help to zero in on a fix with little time to test. Here's the scenario: weight 220#, 1.25 x 15" ripsaw w/204 1.375 goldiggers, track is hooking up real good on my icy melting road, engine is running good, xs817 belt, BMP torsional secondary w/orange spring, 40/36 helix, Dakota Performance 70 gr arms w/orange-white primary. This thing rips out of the hole, at 7700rpm in about 50 feet holds steady til about 80 mph then rpm starts climbing with the mph til I let off which is about 8200rpm at 90mph. Inspection reveals no visible slippage in secondary (slightly warm), primary has intermittant black streak(top edge is 3/8" from outer edge of sheave)and is hot to touch fixed side, real warm moving side (obviously slipping). Doesn't appear to be slipping
at lower speeds but over 80 the rpm creeps up. I tried adjusting secondary spring to lower preload thinking it might be fighting with the primary, it only lowered the rpm a little but still slipped up top on the primary. I cleaned the sheaves between each run and warmed up the belt out back in the deeper snow. Please respond if you have any insight with detailed explanation. Why would the 70
gram arms have enough belt pressure down low but not up top? Thanks for any help.

·
Doesn't play well with other
5,450 Posts
With all this melting I need help to zero in on a fix with little time to test. Here's the scenario: weight 220#, 1.25 x 15" ripsaw w/204 1.375 goldiggers, track is hooking up real good on my icy melting road, engine is running good, xs817 belt, BMP torsional secondary w/orange spring, 40/36 helix, Dakota Performance 70 gr arms w/orange-white primary. This thing rips out of the hole, at 7700rpm in about 50 feet holds steady til about 80 mph then rpm starts climbing with the mph til I let off which is about 8200rpm at 90mph. Inspection reveals no visible slippage in secondary (slightly warm), primary has intermittant black streak(top edge is 3/8" from outer edge of sheave)and is hot to touch fixed side, real warm moving side (obviously slipping). Doesn't appear to be slipping
at lower speeds but over 80 the rpm creeps up. I tried adjusting secondary spring to lower preload thinking it might be fighting with the primary, it only lowered the rpm a little but still slipped up top on the primary. I cleaned the sheaves between each run and warmed up the belt out back in the deeper snow. Please respond if you have any insight with detailed explanation. Why would the 70
gram arms have enough belt pressure down low but not up top? Thanks for any help.[/b]
70g seems way to light

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I still don't understand why the 70 gr arms work so well down low and mid but not up top. Is there a primary spring change that would help the situation?
Another issue,, I am adding pipe and y-pipe soon with fuel controller (more HP). Feedback?????

·
Registered
124 Posts
Artichuck.

I'm having the same problem,

bikeman clutch kit.......torsional spring conversion.......etc...etc.....

I've run the secondary in the middle hole, and have added 2 grams to the adjustable weights.....now 80 gr....

still turning 8100+ rpm.............
you would think, by gearing these things up a little, you would be able to run less weight than the 2007's were running

I just lowered the secondary spring rate to the lowest hole, but it seems this has already been done, with no solution to the problem.........

I checked for bind in the secondary, with my spring collapsing tool, on the bench, doesn't seem to be binding???

I'm sure we can probably keep adding weight, but that is not the correct fix.................

The problem is in the secondary............either to low finish angle on the helix (for trail riding) or to much spring rate..

Bikeman should be able to give us a hand.........I'm calling today, and see what they have to say.....
Does anyone have a helix something like......48-44.......worth a try.....

I'm not going to spend 100 buck to try it................bikeman should now what to do.....
and go good for a helix swap, if this is the problem.

keep in touch
max

1 - 7 of 7 Posts