Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2003 F7sp with the 128 track, im wondering what i need to ride in some powder. Im looking at riding like in Wyoming(snowey range) where theres groomed trails and some powder. I know i need a deeper lug track, just wondering how deep and who makes them if anyone. This will be my first time out west so i dont want to run out and buy a mountain sled just yet, want to see if i like it first. Ok, so here is what i need to know.....

1) Track..how deep and who sells them for a 13.5X128
2) Clucthing...riding in 7000 to 11000 altitude, what do i need for weights
3) Gear....any special gear

My sled is fuel injected, and i have a open face helmet with goggles. I want to keep my sled set up so i can ride here in the midwest to so i dont want to go to extreme with this. Just want some ideas so when i do go out west i can spend a day or two and convert my sled over...Any info from you guys would be much appreciated

·
Registered
446 Posts
for that elevation i would use 56.5g weights.
you could change the gearing, but probably not neccesary
not sure about the track, iknow you can get a 1.7in track tho
goggles work great for powder riding, make sure you have a no-fog mask tho

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
We setup a friends F7 128 with a 1.7" A 20 off the 05 snopros with the 3.0pitch. Its not a direct bolt on we ended up getting 8tooth wahl brothers no slip drivers and pressing them on. They will fit fine on the 03s as far as clearence goes but they fit in a different spot on the shaft. The stock ones sit inside the windows and the no slips need to be centered on the windows. Worked great though really lofted the sled out of the snow and still is very trail rideable although he did loose some top speed. There is also a 128X1.7 track with the stock 2.52 pitch.

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
It works so so it doesn't help alot but you'll be fine cause it shouldn't be bottomless powder in Feb like it can be early season. Suck the limiter strap up as far as possible helps the approach angle. 51flat helix for better backshift, leave the springs alone, and go for cats suggested weights there pretty spot on.

·
Registered
2,324 Posts
It works so so it doesn't help alot but you'll be fine cause it shouldn't be bottomless powder in Feb like it can be early season. Suck the limiter strap up as far as possible helps the approach angle. 51flat helix for better backshift, leave the springs alone, and go for cats suggested weights there pretty spot on.[/b]
great thanks... so if i pull up my limiter strap, won't that allow like zero weight transfer??

·
Registered
556 Posts
I was at the snowies 8th to the 12th, with my 2003 firecat 151" snopro and had a blast. I used 56 gram polaris weights with yellow primary and red/white secondary spring with a 53/51 helix. I also changed my gearing to 19/43. My backshift wasn't what I was looking for. I was going to try something like a 57/52 with a green secondary spring next time.

·
Registered
4,224 Posts
I had a 1.7 on my F7 last year and i loved it. Its a great all around track and doesn't even compare to a 1.375 in the deeper stuff. I don't know if you have stock skis or not, but if you do this would be another HUGE improvement. Also, get ur handlebars alittle higher for better leverage. The throttle is your friend in the deep stuff, but you really have to learn how to use it if you are going to ride a firecat in the pow...

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
http://www.tracksusa.com/trail.html
#1602-546 13.5-128-1.7 $399.00
if your not going to put a taller lug track on dont bother, a 1.375 isnt going to be much help to you since there usually not designed for off trail deep stuff. there designed for loose trail snow. i have a 1.5 ripsaw on mine and it isnt anywhere close to the performance of the 2" challenger in the deep, but mines a 136 not a 128 so i have more options.

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
My 121" Rev 600ho with a 1.65 track and geared down with brp clutching specs did great out in the snowy range. Had to hold on to the throttle a lot to keep going and i couldnt climb as high as others but still had a great time on the sled. Oh yeah if you can bring a oxygen tank with you when you do get stuck hahahaha, the air is so thin up there you get tired if your sled doesnt start on the third pull lol!!!

·
Registered
2,283 Posts
We rode in Cooke for the first time last year with Firecat EXT's with the stock track. Not so good in fluff IMO after switching to a 2.25" paddle. Night and day difference. Have been to Cooke twice since changing the tracke out and it is soooo much better. Now we are ready for some new M7's (leftover is cheaper when you have to buy two of them). GAWD! I need mountains!

·
Registered
137 Posts
I'm guilty of it too, but Flatlanders are hilarious!!!!!!!!!

I had fun out there on my 121.......well of course you did but the others on MTN sleds didn't have fun pulling you out all day long!!!!!! I have a 144 on my summit 800 and last time I was in the mountains I was running around pulling out 162's does this mean a 144 is better than a 162 in pow?????? No, it means I either picked better lines, didn't challenge my sled as much, or I'm a better rider! We are all going to have fun in the mountains cause there is much more snow then most are used to. But, whoever thinks a 121 or 128 floats in pow is full of $HIT!!!!!!

·
Registered
322 Posts
We rode in Cooke for the first time last year with Firecat EXT's with the stock track. Not so good in fluff IMO after switching to a 2.25" paddle. Night and day difference. Have been to Cooke twice since changing the tracke out and it is soooo much better. Now we are ready for some new M7's (leftover is cheaper when you have to buy two of them). GAWD! I need mountains![/b]

You need mountains too? I just got back from Cooke Sunday and I NEED to go back ASAP!!

Gett'n unstuck- LOL! That is so true!

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
I'm guilty of it too, but Flatlanders are hilarious!!!!!!!!!

I had fun out there on my 121.......well of course you did but the others on MTN sleds didn't have fun pulling you out all day long!!!!!! I have a 144 on my summit 800 and last time I was in the mountains I was running around pulling out 162's does this mean a 144 is better than a 162 in pow?????? No, it means I either picked better lines, didn't challenge my sled as much, or I'm a better rider! We are all going to have fun in the mountains cause there is much more snow then most are used to. But, whoever thinks a 121 or 128 floats in pow is full of $HIT!!!!!![/b]
Nobody is arguing that 121 and 128 float better than mountain sleds. All the kid is asking is if he would still be able to use his f7 in the mountains. And with the right set up on that sled, you can still have an enjoyable time with just changing some of the sleds aspects. To me it wouldnt be worth buying a mountain sled because Ive only been out west once(hopefully much more to come) but since i set my sled up correctly it behaved in a completely different manner if i would have touched it at all. I think that most of the time it is the rider more than the sled. I would guess that you are a much better rider than the person you explained in your post. Put it like this: If you could get the job done with less tools (your 144 sled) compared to another guy that cant get the job done with more tools (162 sled) than i would only guess that you are much better worker (rider in this case.) I asked the same exact question a few months back many people tried to scare me away from bringing my 121 out west but i did it anyway. I had a great time on the sled and i think if you can set up a sled correctly you will be fine. Just make sure you know the limitations of the sled. It is true that mountain sleds can get you farther deeper and higher than 121 or 128s but a sled is still a sled. Ten years ago it was a rareity to see a sled much bigger than a 136. And these people seem to agree with me http://www.hardcoresledder.com/forums/inde...howtopic=208481

·
Registered
2,324 Posts
Nobody is arguing that 121 and 128 float better than mountain sleds. All the kid is asking is if he would still be able to use his f7 in the mountains. And with the right set up on that sled, you can still have an enjoyable time with just changing some of the sleds aspects. To me it wouldnt be worth buying a mountain sled because Ive only been out west once(hopefully much more to come) but since i set my sled up correctly it behaved in a completely different manner if i would have touched it at all. I think that most of the time it is the rider more than the sled. I would guess that you are a much better rider than the person you explained in your post. Put it like this: If you could get the job done with less tools (your 144 sled) compared to another guy that cant get the job done with more tools (162 sled) than i would only guess that you are much better worker (rider in this case.) I asked the same exact question a few months back many people tried to scare me away from bringing my 121 out west but i did it anyway. I had a great time on the sled and i think if you can set up a sled correctly you will be fine. Just make sure you know the limitations of the sled. It is true that mountain sleds can get you farther deeper and higher than 121 or 128s but a sled is still a sled. Ten years ago it was a rareity to see a sled much bigger than a 136. And these people seem to agree with me http://www.hardcoresledder.com/forums/inde...howtopic=208481[/b]

Thank You!.... some ppl on here are unbelievable, all we did we ask a few questions to help out our chances of riding shorties out there... You can have the best sled available for the steep and deep, but if you can't ride it, then you might as well be riding a 377 Safari out there, I've been told that I can ride, so I'm not gonna brag, and I'm sure I'll get stuck lots of times, I just want to know what I can do to my 128 to make it work better out there.

Kevo

·
Registered
3,719 Posts
So-can anyone here give me some setup tips for an efiF7 with a 1.7 track-running f6 gearing-I am going to be riding from 6-9k- I was thinking either a 53-51 with a red/white sec.spring and was going to try and sling 60gram weights with either a pink epi or orange ac pri spring-am I even close to a good setup? or do I need to go another route-the whole deep snow at elevation riding is new to me soany help would be much appreciated-Thanks

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
So-can anyone here give me some setup tips for an efiF7 with a 1.7 track-running f6 gearing-I am going to be riding from 6-9k- I was thinking either a 53-51 with a red/white sec.spring and was going to try and sling 60gram weights with either a pink epi or orange ac pri spring-am I even close to a good setup? or do I need to go another route-the whole deep snow at elevation riding is new to me soany help would be much appreciated-Thanks[/b]
I would try to help you but looks like you will have to talk to an AC guy about that....

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.