Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
986 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got back yesterday from Canada complete bust We drove 835 miles to get about 350 miles NW of Winnipeg Got reservations for 12 days & ready to have fun..Go out in the morning ,take off & go 3 miles & both F7 act up .No fuel ,smart valves compress Took them to nearest dealer over a 100 miles away He spent the after noon working but couldnt repair them . He didnt have any new smart valves Also I had both of them up dated before I left .Called dealer in Winnipeg but had to wait to get them worked on.also it was 700 miles round trip to dealer & motel I was at said the hell with it & came home. 2064 miles round trip for 6 miles ridding Took them to my dealer & had so much contaminated fuel had to pull fuel tanks &wash fuel tanks by hand & replace smart valves Runs great now Been buying fuel from same station for years even when I RACED the pro circuit ,never had a problem. I filled up again at same station ,fuel good,dont know where bad fuel came from Didnt hurt pistons one good thing I guess we will leave next again & try again

·
Registered
50 Posts
That really sucks. I had one of my updated smart valves fail on me last weekend in Copper Harbor, Mich. Had just refueled, tipped sled to the left side slightly to adjust suspension, gave it a pull, F7 coughed and died. Wouldn't do anything. Of course after reading all the horror stories on this bulletin board I assumed the worst. Was riding with sales staff from "Waconia Farm Supply" (another plug for Lonnie and Dean) They tinkered with it couldn't get it to go. Dean gave me his Demo sled, called for a tow, hauled it to Calumet, Mich., had the valve replaced and parked in front of the motel before we got back. Service guy really didn't have answer for failure other than something foreign caused the proplem.

Thanks to Dean, Lonnie and the folks at the CAT Dealer in Calumet I was up and running the same day.

Thanks for the great weekend!!!!

BIGCATF7

·
Registered
986 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Only once since 1970 have my wife & I had a break down & that was in 1972 pulling a sled we scored a piston on our sled Granted we get new sleds every year ,a lot of years we get 4 new ones & keep the 2 we like best even so it is still a good record for good luck I gues I cant complain too much

·
Registered
743 Posts
Did the same thing after getting gas but mine was on the trailer, pulled out the smart valve it had ice all over it, water in the gas, let it warm up to get the ice off put in some dry gas and its good to go.

·
Registered
614 Posts
Well, you got me beat on miles traveled for nothing. I only drove a bit over 800. But, I didn't even get a half mile on mine before the bitter end.

·
Registered
298 Posts
its not the gas or no sleds would run. we had problems with f7's only last weekend every other sled ran fine with no dry gas added. who ever said cats like water never met mine. i had the same problem with my 600efi it would never run unless dry-gas was added my old 580efi would start and run with the exact same gas stored on the same trailer. looks like we need to carry iso with us next to the coat hanger under the spare oil do you think it will all fit in the trunk.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
2 Years ago I had the same problems with My ZR and ZL's Now I buy Iso by the case. use it every fill up. We carry a couple of bottles with us on the trail and a case in the trailer. The gas You buy anymore is junk!!! It all has water in it and You don't notice it till it really gets cold!! All it takes is one drop to screw up Your weekend!! Don't wait till You think You have a problem before You use it!!

·
Registered
986 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Even after all the miles we went for nothing wife & I would buy the same thing Even when they dont start they are still the meanest .badest , fastest sled out there.

·
Registered
183 Posts
I had smart valves replaced only to have sled act up immeadiately after service - took it right back - They found crud on the screens to the smart valves. Dealer said he would recommend bringing a spare filter - dumb style, and a bent coat hanger to replace it. :(

·
Registered
239 Posts
Would water in the tank (on the smart valve) cause an F7 to just run bad without much power? That's what happened to me. The sled ran, just no power for about 30 miles.

·
Registered
986 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yes water will make it act that way , now that I got mine running I under stand why they tell u to take the smart valvee apart & take out the check valve out & put it back together at least you can still ride it this way

·
Registered
4 Posts
Originally posted by byoffcr@Jan 21 2003, 04:44 PM
Yes water will make it act that way , now that I got mine running I under stand why they tell u to take the smart valvee apart & take out the check valve out & put it back together at least you can still ride it this way
DON'T DO IT.

If you do then the water and other crap goes into the injectors.

Yes, you will be able to drive, but for how long? And next time it won't be the smart valves, it will a cooked piston.

·
Registered
986 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Rob I agree but when both sleds are down it is a way to get back to a road so u can get your trailer to load them At 60 I m to old to walk 2 miles to a rood Hell if it blows let it they do make parts

1 - 15 of 15 Posts