Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
564 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys, First off Ill start by saying I own a F5 and a RX-1. I dont need any flap about the yami but am l seriously thinking about trading the F5 for a F7 or a ZR900. I want some honest feedback about both sleds performance. Take this for what its worth, but my RX-1 hasnt lost to any F7 (6 in all), but has lost to 2 ZR900's. The reason for wanting a bigger CC cat is the chassis. I love the F chassis and the ZR chassis. My RX-1 rides like a F$%^&^% brick. I just cant stand the skid on the trails, but is great on groomed trails and lake running. Do you think the ZR chassis will be repaced anytime soon. I would kick myself in the ass if there was a new ZR chassis, or if it was discontinued for next year. My F5 takes the bumps awesome, but feels a little to light for my liking. Meaning, I just dont trust it coming into the corners like I do on a lower profile sled. Is the ZR the best package with regards to the following, please rate

On a scale of 1-10 rate the following for both F7 and ZR900.
-Performance(Engine)
-Chassis
-Reliability
-Handeling

Thanks a ton guys. I need to make up my mind soon as time is running out this season. Also what is a good deal on both sleds...BBY

·
Registered
564 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Or do I wait a couple weeks to see what coming next year. I just wanted to steal a 03 seeing as dealers are starting to drop there pants a little...BBY

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Wait.
As you know from AM snow this years F7 is a problem child.
From what I've seen the F6 has a differnt suspension setup and works better then the F7. So possible changes for the 04's
The F7 is fun to ride but I still like the ZR more.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
hmmm but he already has a rx-tonne, so why would he need another lake racer.... i would go for the f7, not for top end but for its lightweight, jumping, rough trails etc......

i kinda wish i got the zr900 though, for speed alone

heheh

depends on what you want bro

·
Registered
141 Posts
Buy a reduced price end of year '03 F7 now, make sure all the updates are done, let it warm up lots on INITIAL, start up every day and you'll have NO problems. Fantasic sled, buy the snopro if you can, if your a more agressive rider and set it up the way you like it and it will eat a ZR chassis (as good as they are). Trust me, this is a great forum but too much talk of the neagtive here. Not that there hasn't been problems but I don't read alot of the site problem forum cause lot's of the problems are easily prevented by the owners (no offence guys). Anyway you won't regret it. I am real picky about what I ride and how it feels and this sled does it all very well.

speedmerchant

·
Registered
119 Posts
Ok--If you want honest truth--I'm the one for it--my dad and brother both have zr900s and I have a f7. both of theirs are modded up--If you want info email me and I'll give you my number to call and I'll tell you all about the sleds. [email protected] and I'll give you my number.

·
Registered
125 Posts
buy em both...the reason I say this is that I wish I had the money to buy the last year of the T-Cat and just use it every now and again, so maybe this is one of the final years of the zr chassis so a zr900 would be awesome too

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
to give a truly accurate opinion, it kinda depends on what kind of riding you do (tight twisty trails or long straight aways w/ sweeping corners). I was able to better dial in the steering on my F7 which made a TON of difference in handling. Once thing I did notice was the 'kickback' of the rear suspension (i've since made some adjustments but lack of snow prevents testing them). The 7 is a VERY fun ride, the power is something else, I'm really glad I bought one and will not go back to the older ZR chassis (probably because I have not had any problems either).

Wait and see what the 04's bring to the table. Then decide. There are (or at least were a few weeks ago) plenty sitting in the crates in ND, if you're willing to travel...

·
Registered
986 Posts
wait for the 04,handles & rides better.. Rear skid is better suited for coupling blocks & corners better F6 is already out & handles better than F5 & F7 - 03 Fuel injected 900 & thats about all for big iron

·
Registered
614 Posts
I just gave up the ZR chasis for the F7 This year, Best move I had ever made, it is the best of both worlds, great on the trails, ANd it holds its own on the lake. Wouldn't trade it for the world, Unless it blows up, just kidding.

·
Registered
4,053 Posts
I HAVE A ZR900 AND I HAVE NOT LOST TO AN F7 YET. BUT I HAVE 1500 + DOLLARS UNDER THE HOOD. i LIKE THE FEEL OF THE ZR BETTER THAN THE FIRECAT. MY BROTHER HAS A F7 AND ME AND MY DAD HAVE ZR900S. wE BOTH LIKE THE 900 BETTER THAN THE F7

·
Registered
564 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Guys, I really appreciate the info. Its a tough call, its just hard to not buy that 900 even though I Love the Firecats. I should just get them both, ya think my wife would mind?...BBY

·
Registered
622 Posts
Sell the RX1 and the F5 and get both the F7 and the ZR900!!!!!!!!!!!! Yeah baby, best of both worlds!!!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hey BBy I see I'm not the only one who can post on both sites. I too ride Artic Cats. But post under a different alias on the other site. See ya. P.S. F-7 great sled just make sure you do the updates. I'd see what 04 brings ya!! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
109 Posts
I love my 900. I never rode the F7, but I almost got it instead of the 900. I have a personal rule to never buy a first year model, and it paid off this year. I think that the 900 is getting so many good reviews and is running soo good, AC would be crazy to get rid of it as soon as it is perfected. Although, I thought the same thing about the triples before they discontinued them! The way I look at it, if you get the F7, you may or may not like it! If you get the 900, you know what you are getting and I'm sure you'll love it. The only question is if you want to take a chance on liking the F7 more!

·
Registered
564 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
You cat guys are not to bad. Again, i appreciate all your help. I may have a chance to trade straight up my RX-1 for a ZR900. Will the ZR9 run with the F7 in distances less than 2000 ft. I know its got some good top end, but I am looking for the best of both worlds. Maybe that sled doesnt exist, but i think the F7 and ZR9 are as close as I am going to get...BBY

·
Registered
174 Posts
I for the life of me, can't figure out why the 03 Firecats cannot have a few suspension modifications done for next year with MINUMAL expense when we all figure out what is the optimal suspension change. Funny how the F6 is only been out a week, yet there are so many experts that can make a honest statement that the 04's will handle so much better than the 03's. I would agree that CAT will change a few of the settings, but night and day, I ain't buying that.

Save now, or pay more next year. Sno-pro's are all but sold out here in MI, and there isn't many standard F7's left.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts