Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Folks, I''m a new member and ran the following question in the ski-doo chat room. I recieved many interesting comments back - however they did tend to recommend the REV. I am quite intersted in getting some honest feedback from you folks.

OK folks, here is the question I would like some input on...F7 (Snowpro) or 800 X REV?

Your input on why the f7 or the rev is better. I don''t need bashing of either model. I''ve been a ski-doo man for the past thirty years and for the first time I am considering the CAT.

Tell me what you think.

·
Registered
8,701 Posts
haven't seen a rev outrun the cat on a lake yet.. as far as handling, i have no seat time on the rev. but in my opiniion, and not bashing it.... even if the rev were the best machine running, i wouldn't get it cause it is BUTT UGLY!!

·
Registered
113 Posts
hi louch,good idea doing you own research between the sites.these sites are great for the good and bad info.i rode a rev800 a few weeks ago with a open mind and as soon as sat on it i noticed the quality is the worst if ever seen.it seemed cheaply made.the pull starter felt like it was going to brake,it seemed to be all over the trail and gave me a no confident feeling.i was not impressed with the power,but it did handle the bumps nice.i don't think i could ride one all day,my knees started to ache a little being in that poistion.ski-doo has some great new ideas.i can't get into that new look either.i drove a f7 on my own for 20 miles.the fit to finish is a little low but the style and perf.is awesome.weight transfer is great,128"foot print is excellent, tracks straight when pulling hard.the harder you push the sled the better it gets.the sled gave a very confident feeling.now with all the bugs worked out i think the firecat is going to be a super package for anyone who wants to ride hard.good luck with your choice.

·
Registered
188 Posts
if you are over 5' 10" tall, you will be unhappy after a long ride on the rev, also do you need the snopro F7, do you do alot of jumping? I have the standard F7, I ride it hard and love it! I rode the rev, but felt to cramped up! (I`m 6' tall) and also, I have not yet seen a rev800 pull away from a standard F7 ;)
good luck!

·
Registered
2,763 Posts
I got to ride on Rev 800 a few weeks ago for half a day. I was following my F-7sp and trying to keep up. (both sleds were stock, no studs either)
The suspension is real nice and stable over the whoops, it does bottom out more than my F-7sp. I felt more bumps on the Rev, kind of bouncy feeling. It does corner well but the F-7 comes out of the corner alot better. Powerwise the F-7 has a bit more punch. No matter how fast we started my F-7 would always be pulling away. Both sleds are very capable. Being 6ft I feel as if I have more room on the firecat and the F-7 goes you a feeling that you are in control of it as it gives better trail feedback to the rider. Either sled you pick you probally couldn't go wrong. If you maily trail ride and cruise then the Rev, if you ride more agressively then the F-7SP would be a better choice. One bad thing about the Rev is that if you have bad knees, your knees will get stiff. My knees are fine after riding the F-7 all day but in the half day I rode the Rev my knees were stiff and swelled up. The rider of the Rev has the same problem with his knees, that is why he wanted me to ride it.
Good luck with your purchase.

·
Registered
26 Posts
My friends has a REV rode it and, I too feel a bit cramped on it. I am 6' tall and it feels like you sit too far forward. I know that it the design but it is uncomfortable on longer rides. It did not out run the F7 but it was close(both were stock). I did need to change the seat on my F7(BOSS Seat). I love the feel on the sled with out the bump in the back. It gives me the feeling of my ZR. My only complaint of the F7 is the short seat. IMO

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Originally posted by FINFASTF7@Mar 12 2003, 07:36 AM
if you are over 5' 10" tall, you will be unhappy after a long ride on the rev, also do you need the snopro F7, do you do alot of jumping? I have the standard F7, I ride it hard and love it! I rode the rev, but felt to cramped up! (I`m 6' tall) and also, I have not yet seen a rev800 pull away from a standard F7 ;)
good luck!
I definitely need the snow pro suspension. Our trails are visited by tourists from all over the world and many of them are the type that - hit the thottle then release - hit the throttle then release - get the picture?

Early in the morning our trails, especially the old railroad (St.Agathe to past MontLaurier, Qc.) is usually a carpet. By the time we return in the evening It has been totally chewed up. More like a roller coster ride than a sled ride. I presently scream through it with my Mach z but it is a heavy sled and I am looking for something lighter, more agile and it has to scream :D

·
Registered
254 Posts
I have the F7 standard and it is great. Other guys will tell you how fast it is , blah, blah, blah but whether you go 100 mph or 105 mph, I don't get too fussed.

The best part about my F7 is how easy it is to ride. It feels so light, easy to steer, easy on the throttle, very responsive and doesn't bounce all over the trail. Even my wife loves it and she is a complete amateur with only a mild interest in sleds. It is a huge step forward from our other 3 AC sleds

Be sure you really want/need the snowpro version. My standard is great for aggressive riding and I can adjust the suspension if I want a different feel. My dealer told me that he has had several F7 snowpro customers come back to have him put in softer springs, etc.

My friend has a REV and he says that he feels a lot more wind than I do on my F7.

Looks: The F7 and the REV are very different but equally hot. The REV looks great.

Good luck

·
Registered
313 Posts
I've rode both. I rode the rev800 and felt to far forward. I felt like if I hit a large bump that I'd go over the windshield. You sit higher and forward more. I'm 6'2". I didn't think it handled the bumps that great compared to my F7sno pro. I revalved my front skid shock in mine. It rides a lot better for aggressive trail and deep whoops now. I think the F7 is better, but cat has some bad choices in some parts and have some more bugs to work out. I think if cat used different skis, better suspension, and adjustable ecu, then it would be far superior. The one good things that I've seen w/ all the revs is no problems. Mines been in the shop 5 times now. Gets discouraging.

·
Registered
747 Posts
> The one good things that I've seen w/ all the revs is no problems.

Not true. Buddy I know with 800 Rev had to have his motor replaced. Crank bearings in some of the rev 800's are going.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Ridden both sleds, and both have their good points, as well as bad.

Thing is with the firecat you have to RIDE it.... its not a sled for grandma:) YOu can make it dance anywhere you want it too, handles the bumps well, and comes off the line like a rocket. Yes there are some updates and things to take care of, but I see the rev compound is having their share of troubles too, with rings and loss of compression. If you put the double runner ski's on the firecat I imagine the steering would be very similar.

The rev is easily a cruiser, sit back and do nothing all day. It can make a lousy rider appear to be a good one. I see more people that are probably outriding their abilities on the rev, mainly because they think its going to keep them out of trouble.

That said, it seemed to have decent acceleration, was very quite, but windy. The one I rode had lots of extra that aren't neccesary for me such as reverse and elec. start.

Your best bet would be to try out both before you decide.

I see posts on the ski doo site about how so and so got the wife one, and now she rides 20 or 30 miles and hour faster... is it making her a better rider? Probably not, simply outriding the ability, but the hubby likes it cause he can be cool and fly and not have to wait for the little lady...LOL

The other one that cracks me up is that if they had to ride a conventional sled, that they would quit riding. Not very into the sport if you ask me... I'd ride what I had to so I could be out having fun.

Hmmm... do you think if skidoo stops making the rev, that the trails will be less crowded cause all the crybabies will be home boohooing over the loss of the only sled they can ride anymore ?:wacko: :p :D

Happy sledding and ride safe :)

·
Registered
485 Posts
Great debate guys. the 2004 f7 should be a even better product. I've ridden both, my only beef with the rev was the fact your legs are locked in one position , it,s nice to have the option of changing positions, especially on a long ride, other than that different strokes for different folks.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Read ALL:
If you looked at my inventory of broken parts on my F7 Snopro, you'd seriously consider not buying one. Every ride something breaks: slide rails, exhaust pipes, bearings/gear case, voltage regulator, bent rear shock link, broken idler wheels, steering bushings worn out, handwarmers. It sure doesn't inspire confidence in the machine.

Out of the box, the handling was a joke. You didn't know where it would pogo stick to after launching off bumps, and it steered the absolute ##@$. Anyone saying different isn't riding it hard. BUT after revalving the shocks, changing springs, losing the coupler blocks, and adding outside rear idler wheels (we're talking lots of time and $), my F7 handles like a dream.

I'm sure the 04 will have worked some of the bugs out and enhanced the reliability. I hope.

Now I've ridden the REV too. Out of the box, it is hands down better. Tiny bit of valving the suspension stiffer. That's it. Corners like a train on tracks and is superbly balanced in the air. Reliability unquestionably is better.

What would I buy if I were to buy again? Probably Cat. Mostly because I've been with them forever and know them inside out. Cat owners are like Harley owners; faithful no matter what breaks down. But if I were new to the sport, REV.

·
Registered
534 Posts
I almost bought a REV at the beginning of the year. I was seriously considering it. Since I'm light and like to do a lot of standup, it would probably be a good sled for me. However since the season started it appears that there's about 50% of the Doo people who hate the REV. Some hate it because of it's looks, some hate it because of it's ride. It's probably a personal preference.

The Firecat is a different story. I wanted to replace my ZR600 SE (Blair Morgan) sled with something newer and looked good. I liked the looks of the REV, to me it looks like a "retro-future" Star War type machine. It's kind of retro in that it looks like something out of the first or second Star Wars movie, but I like all the early Star Wars designs (Y-Wings, X-Wings, etc). So for my opinion, I like the looks of the REV. That being said, and because of the new design style, my buddies who are CAT fans and CAT riders told me before the season, "they'd forgive me", if I bought a REV. But the Silverdome Braap Pack on Sno-Pro mod sleds sealed the deal for the Firecat for me. When I saw a Braap Pack guy do a 50 yard wheelie on the modified Firecat Sno-Pro chassis before the Firecat's were released, I said, " I've gotta get one of those." When CAT announced that the F7 would have 140 HP, nobody believed them. They were released, they had the power CAT promised.

When I saw the Patriot graphics package I knew I had to get it. So being a guy who came off a somewhat flashy 7c sled package, I knew I had some flash and a sled that had the looks to live up to my expectations. (In my normal life I'm not a guy who's into flash, but when it gets to sledding, I want something extra for my sledding dollars.)

Now I cannot speak for those who had F7 problems, because I've had ZERO. This is a subjective thing. If your already into sledding, you know that there can be some problems, and you'll want to check your sled over and perhaps play with it and adjust it a bit to get the top performance out of it. For the F7, to get a more normal performance out of it you can basically do ONE thing and that with a little riding practice will probably satify 90% of the f7 owners out there. That one thing is set the coupling block from the 1 setting to the 2 setting. That's about it. Stud it, put some 10 inch carbides on it, if your an agressive rider and ride the crap out of it.

Now of course there are some minor fit a finish things (all covered here more than once) that you can look into. Pull cord fix, things like that. These things will add maybe 2 to 10 hours of tinkering time to get your sled to the level of satisfaction that you require to have fun. After that, you don't look back.

Now for my ride analysis.

I have a F7 Standard. My buddy (SnoProG) has a F7 Sno-Pro. His is setup for a heavy rider with the heavy rider kit. He has the Dakota clutch and C&A skis with 9 inch carbides on it. His sled is much stiffer and has a better hole shot. His sled ROCKS. It NEVER BOTTOMS OUT. Never. My sled has bottomed out (at least if felt like it) about 3 times in 2300 miles. My sled has much softer ride for cruising and has more ski lift than his.

These sleds both have the following characteristics:

They both ride like a cross between a Z440 fan, a 440 OPEN MOD Sno-Pro, and a Thundercat. Now for the explaination of my logic.

First they are as light as a 440 Fan. That lightness makes them extremely quick and they rebound from bumps or "don't go into them" because they are jumping them by popping up the front end with the throttle. The lightness is like a 440 Fan. A 440 fan is so light that it can out ride a more heavy 440 liquid, simply because the front end is lighter and it has less inertia/weight going into a big mogul. So in heavy moguls, there is NOTHING faster than a lighter sled. This is an advantage for a Firecat over ALL earlier sleds, ZR's, MXZ's, etc. I can't say this is an advantage over a REV, because the REVS are light also. Some of the handling issues are due to both the F7 and the REV having a light front end. With less weight you have more ski lift under power and less weight on the skis means the sled may not "rail/track" as well. That being said, some minor adjustments to the suspension, Springs set all the way out, helps a lot. So it's light. That lightness is good.

Compared to a Modded ZR900 which had a lot of horsepower and goodies, I would say the F7 doesn't pull as hard or feel like a powerhouse. This is more of a persception based on the lightness of the sled and the suspension, and the linear pull of the sled. The F7 however seemed faster, because it's lighter. Faster off the line, less weight to pull. I talked with a guy who had a 711 modded Sno-Pro and he said the F7 he owns is faster than the 711. My buddy SnoProG had a 2000 ZR400 Sno-Pro, which are built for jumping and Sno-Cross. Immediately on my Standard on our first ride he noticed that the F7 is: 1. Better at handling jumps and landings. 2. is much more stable in flight characteristics than the older sno-cross machines. We both were thrilled and could not get the smiles off our face the first days of riding.

At 100 miles I did a little drag race in a field where I usually go riding. At 380 to 390 feet my F7 pulled 78 miles an hour from a standing stop. The speedo is different for an F7 than other sleds. The speedometer is accurate on an F7, but not on many older sleds. One of my older sleds a modified T-Cat with VForce, trail ported, and 244 studs would "read" 90 miles an hour at the same point. That 1000cc race monster seemed to pull harder to me, but it was heavy. My friend thought the F7 pulled just as hard, but linear, but he didn't ride the T-Cat much. If the T-cat's speedo was off by 10% then 90 miles an hour minus 9 is about 81 miles an hour. So perhaps my F7 was almost as fast as the T-Cat in the first 400 feet.

My friend dragged a couple of ZRT 800s in a short drag race (about 700 feet) and toasted them. So for short drags against triples, well only 900cc sleds or higher need apply against the F7s, the rest should be toast.

We both have 156 studs in our sleds. Since the studs are in the center of the track and the track is narrow, you can (when you decide) do POWER SLIDES on ice with studs. This is accomplished by turning the handle bars to the right and over stear the sled into a turn and hitting the break a little harder than normal. The rear of the sled will slide in a controlled manner, once you learn to do this you can literally turn the sled on a dime, but it's something I don't recommend doing on blind turns or against opposing traffic, just something to do for the fun of it. This "power sliding" ability is probably due to the thinner track and the fact that all the studs are in the center of the track (no outside studs). In a way it's almost like having an "on demand" studdless track at times. But when you want to stop straight, you just hit the breaks and it will stop. When you want to hook up you just hit the throttle and off it goes.

I can say that if I had ANY of the engine problems some of the other F7 riders have had, I'd be pretty pissed off, but this is a problem forum. Many people don't have problems and remain silent and lurk. If you have a problem with any sled, get on the dealer and make them stand by you.

SUMMARY:
This sled has performed WAY better than I could have imagined it. I routinely go 25 to 30 % faster on trails than I ever did on any other sled (T-Cat included). I cannot heap enough praise on AC for the performance of this sled. Since I've not had any major problems with mine, I would definately get an F7 again. WHen riding at my regular speed, during the last season, I have never been passed by a REV. I've seen a ton of revs on the trails, but none of them could keep up with my F7 on the trails. I don't know if this means much, but it's just a piece of information from my trail riding history.

I've had 2300 trouble free miles on mine.

Which ever sled you pick, you'll probably have a blast.

There are some issues with any new design sled. (Not meant to be a slam but last time out I saw a sled that was a REV that had a connecting piece that holds the whale tail snow flap, broken.) Every new sled will have some design failures that will show up. I've heard of a few REV riders who gave up their REV pretty quickly not liking the ride seating change and went back to conventional sleds, but the ones I met and talked to on the trails (about 7 REV owners I talked with), seemed to be pleased with their REV purchase. So it's a matter of personal choice in the end and what kind of a sled your looking to purchase.

·
Registered
183 Posts
First - I can't believe people are talking about getting or not getting a sled because of how it looks. I guess that's why cat is offering all the different graphics packages.

Back to the question. It is completely different strokes for different folks. The Rev is a great machine. Almost boring to ride. It seems to just go and want to ride flat. No big weight transfer accelerating or braking. Much easier for a novice to ride hard with. It really only has one riding postion though.

The F7 is also a great sled. More traditional in its rider position. If you want to ride the tank just slide it up. Hit the big lake, slide back an grab a fist full of throttle. My drag races with a rev 800 (both stock) were fairly even. F7 slight advantage out of the hole, but give it enough time and the Rev 800 would clearly pass the F7 but it needed a lot of space.

Which is better? Well, all I can say is you got to ride both and make up your own mind.

That's my $0.02.

·
Registered
614 Posts
Well, I'm here to say that the F7 is soooooo sweet to rip over those into-town and out-of-town moguls that you all know about. Not the huge jump-type or small ripple-type but the somewhat tall sharp peaked moguls. My sled just danced over them at the right speed. Kind of like the motocross guys do. I would have love to gotten seat time on a REV; but, never did.

Here I am trying to outrun a cannon ball across from Mackinac Island to St. Ignace
:lol:

·
Registered
534 Posts
Doze00F7,

Sorry I don't work for AC. However I'm very happy with the F7, so I'm more than happy to put out a post about it's merits. (I'm a computer analyst who has to many free hours sometimes during the day so I post long posts.)

http://www.firecat.info/index.php?act=ST&f=10&t=6712

Some pics from last weekend. (Not going to get to ride this weekend. Hoping that there may be enough snow and cold in Canada for one more trip where there is snow. Maybe WAWA Ontario, perhaps sometime before April 1st.)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts