Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so im looking at a project 03 f7 for a pretty decent price, the motor needs rebuilt and it needs a track. its the standard 128 or 129 whatever these are. My question is, i have two spare 144 tracks from my 03 mountain cat, would one of them work on here if i just got some rail extensions? or is the track totally wrong, because i know they made an f7 with a 144 i just dont know if it is an entirely different track.

thanks for any input

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
firecats use 13.5" track mtn cat 15" you'll need to rip it down with a skill or table saw.
so, it would work with a little bit of work.

How about rail extensions? i know there isnt that much of an overall length difference between a 128 and a 144 skid. i know i could fab them up pretty easy. would it be worth the time?

·
Premium Member
20,009 Posts
Rail extensions, and trim the track edges. There are some videos on YouTube of guys cutting them. Other than that, it will go right in.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
okay, cool. now the last thing that worries me would be the heat exhanger. would i have to extend that or could i just leave it where it is?

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
you'll need a tunnel extension to fit a 144
I know ill need that, but what about the heat exchanger. I dont want it to overheat or anything. would i have to get different, longer ones?

also, how long would the rail extensions have to be? im assuming about 8 inches since there would be 8 more inches of track on the ground.

·
Premium Member
20,009 Posts
You'll have to research the rails. Try to find somebody with some to measure, or find a 136, skid to measure (stock firecat ext) then do the math to convert out to 144. You can just use rubber hose, clamps, and copper pipe to move your rear cooler back, I think. On a cfr you could anyway

·
Premium Member
2,213 Posts
The F7 EXT rails will work and then you have to change the mounting brackets in the sled. The tracks should be the same as long as 13.5 and 2.52 pitch. Now if you find a set of rail ext that is the easy way to go as bolt them on swap tracks and add tunnel ext done. No need to move the location of suspension mounting points. Now I may have 1 more tunnel ext left as I had copied the factory ones Cat had when people swapped to 144 tracks. Use it with or with out tunnel cooler.

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
It is not a terrible project but nothing is just "bolt on and go". Depending on the lug height you are wanting to use, you will want to get some smaller drivers. I believe that I got the extrovert drivers from Wahl Brothers and still had to shave the lugs down a little.

You should be able to find EXT Rails somewhere or see if Tracks USA makes extensions for them.

I did a 128" to 162" and a 144" to 162" and both of them took some "custom" fabrication on just about everything. Thankfully, I have buddies that own fabrication and machining shops that were able to help. I also did both of these in the summer so I had plenty of time. None of this was bolt up and go.

Heat exchanger does have to be moved back. I also added another set or two of wheels under the skid and put an anti stab kit on them.

·
Registered
3 Posts
The F7 EXT rails will work and then you have to change the mounting brackets in the sled. The tracks should be the same as long as 13.5 and 2.52 pitch. Now if you find a set of rail ext that is the easy way to go as bolt them on swap tracks and add tunnel ext done. No need to move the location of suspension mounting points. Now I may have 1 more tunnel ext left as I had copied the factory ones Cat had when people swapped to 144 tracks. Use it with or with out tunnel cooler.
Bird hunter do you have any of those firecat extensions? I’m doing a 128-144 thank you

·
Registered
15 Posts
Mikedawg. I know of a set of extensions for 128-144 that fit an 04 SnoPro. Same as pictured. I’m not sure if the F rails are the same, but they look similar. B34FD86B-494A-4B6F-AE11-13168703BC0C.jpeg 6A74B580-F866-4820-885E-BC7EA9DB3EA7.jpeg And it makes a difference what drivers are on the drive axle. I have 9 tooth 2.52 pitch and run a 141. 144 with a 3/4” set back on the skid. With 10 tooth drivers I can run a 144 without doing the set back of the skid. Get my drift?

·
Registered
3 Posts
well bird hunter I figured if I could do it rite I will. I found a mint 144” skid with 1&1/4” tracks down a very nice ext saber cat tunnel and have my work cut out for me. I will have an 03 f-7 ext snow pro! Now the question is I think the ext’s so very well in their class at the 5-600 foot drags, did cat make an ext f7sno pro and will they contest me if I should miraculously win and have to go thru tech? Should I get a saber cat hood? I can’t wait to run it this winter. Less wheelies and more traction wins!!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts