Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,693 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My F7 had the check engine light come on twice during a 4 day ride. The oil pump was adjusted before the ride and I even ran about 8-12 oz of oil at night as the temps were always near -20 to -40f. The first time the light flashed, I let the sled sit a few minutes, but the light would keep flashing at anything over 4000 RPM. It quit when I pinned the throttle a few times. You could then feel the water start circulating through the running boards again. Ran fine the rest of the day. Mornings were always a problem. The sled would keep bogging and not circulate water until the the radiator cap was cracked open. You could then feel the water begin to circulate through the exchangers. I did run the sled in the ethanol position when the temps dropped below zero. The one night that I forgot, the check engine light came on after a prolonged pace of 35-40 MPH at about 5500-6200 RPM. Again, after I cracked the cap and pinned it a couple times again, the water would start circulating again. Its not an oil issue or air issue on mine, it has over 1400 miles on it now. Would a slight overfill of coolant not allow enough room for expansion and be causing these problems? The sled would run perfect when pushed hard and the RPMs were above the 5500 range. It was just the mornings and prolonged cruising that caused problems. Otherwise, the sled was perfect for our 825 mile trip. Best sled I have ever owned. :wub: Thanks, Bill.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Try reburping the system . you might have an air bubble still in there. When you crack it open you make the pump push harder and the anti-freeze will work its way around that air bubble but when you slow down you'll have a bigger bubble in one place ( not as much force ). Also what were the snow conditions?

·
Registered
244 Posts
When you crack your cap it releives all the pressure so that air bubble will break up some and the coolant will flow easier. When you put the cap tight again there is nowhere for the air to go so it will block your coolant.

·
Premium Member
2,693 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
herm, the sled has over 1400 miles on it now. Its been burped numerous times. Snow conditions were perfect, all fresh groomed trails with over a foot of base. I'm starting to believe there is a design flaw in the system or bottle. It would not flow in the morning either, when the motor was stone cold, like -30F. I would like to see the new bottle on the F6. Like I said, it was SLIGHTLY overfilled, I wonder if there is not enough room for the expansion. I would assume my box will have to be redone also. It really runs lean below zero.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts