Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Put on a little over 400 miles between X-mas and new years in the UP without any major incidents. Sled ran great and the shaper bars made a huge difference. Did notice two things though.
First the oil light comes on way too soon when only down a quart. Ran into an AC technician in Pine Stump Jctn who said Cat is aware and a bulletin should follow soon. Anybody else heard this.
Second after decelerating from 110 mph on a hard pack wide road the sled just died. I was afraid to even pull it over thinking a piston might be lunched but it started right up. Ran slowly back up to about 85 mph and the same thing occurred. Now I'm nervous. Started thinking what it might be and recalled I dropped the gas tank cap in the snow the day before and got as much of the snow off as I could but maybe some moisture still on clogging the smart valves. I'm thinking since the trails were a little lumpy and we were rocking pretty good that the sloshing inside the tank may have kept the moisture moving but once on the smooth road it got sucked to the bottom of the valve. Added dry gas in Grand Marais and never had any problems for remainder of trip. Could my hunch about the smart valves be right? It seems someone else mentioned some stalling issues related to the smart valves previously but I don't recall the details. Anybody know if the smart valve update kits are available yet? Thanks!

Jeff

·
Registered
70 Posts
yeah my oil light comes on really early too, and after i get my f5 up to 90 or so and let off i can barely see the speedo and rpms because it becomes dimm along with my headlights, is something wrong or is it ok?

thanks

·
Registered
142 Posts
heres a quick fix for your smart valve if it stalls on the trail b4 you get it to the dealer...reach into your gas tank(the gas will be cold as hell) grab the wires at the bottom and hit them off the tank side, this should open up the valve enough to get you home. take it to a dealer and get the recal fixed so you don't have to do that. mine sounded like it was going to stall and i took it to the dealer and they had a recall for it. no big deal.

·
Registered
149 Posts
You can also pull the smart valve out and seperate the valve with a small screwdriver or pocket knife. There is a small rubber seal around the spring. Take it off and snap the valve back together this will stop the valve from sucking in and closing. It is easy to do just be carefull that spring is small :p Make sure the spring is keeping the valve open it should be pushing out on the screen it should still move in and out :blink:

P.S. The seal is white :p

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the reply guys! Once again this forum is of great help. Will contact the dealer for the update.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts