Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had my F7 out for the second time this weekend. I put on about 80 miles last weekend without any problems and this ride was going well too, until it stalled about 50 miles into the ride. I was probably going around 50 mph, when it sounded like it was going to stall, then it revved back up a little bit, then finally stalled and coasted to a stop. I let it sit for a minute or two, then tried to start it back up again, which it did on the first pull. It seemed to run fine for the rest of the afternoon (only about 15 more miles before I got back home), and I haven't had it out since.

I'm hoping this was some sort of fluke, but after many of the stories I've read here, I guess I'm fearing the worst. Is this (stalling) an indication of something specific? I'm assuming I should probably take a look at the pistons, but to be honest with you, I don't exactly know what I should be looking for. Any help/advice would be appreciated.

Thanks much,
Matt

·
Registered
208 Posts
Pull the pipe and look if you want but I will just about guarantee you cooked the mag pist. I should Know, I've done it twice, same conditions.

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
you need to pull the y pipe and look at the pistons mine did the same thing a little scuffing is normal but you should not be able to feel them. Run your fingernail across the piston if you feel it catch on any groove time for new piston good luck I am still waiting for cylinders for mine.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Originally posted by Chezhed@Feb 10 2003, 10:47 AM
I had my F7 out for the second time this weekend. I put on about 80 miles last weekend without any problems and this ride was going well too, until it stalled about 50 miles into the ride. I was probably going around 50 mph, when it sounded like it was going to stall, then it revved back up a little bit, then finally stalled and coasted to a stop. I let it sit for a minute or two, then tried to start it back up again, which it did on the first pull. It seemed to run fine for the rest of the afternoon (only about 15 more miles before I got back home), and I haven't had it out since.

I'm hoping this was some sort of fluke, but after many of the stories I've read here, I guess I'm fearing the worst. Is this (stalling) an indication of something specific? I'm assuming I should probably take a look at the pistons, but to be honest with you, I don't exactly know what I should be looking for. Any help/advice would be appreciated.

Thanks much,
Matt
this sounds like another "light seizure". What is your oil ratio? Chances are you are running lean. I would contact your dealer as soon as posible.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the info guys...that's what I was afraid of, but it's what I thought I'd probably hear. I'll take a look tonight after work. I'll be giving my dealer a call as well.

Rob, I do not know for sure what my oil ratio was. It might actually be difficult to determine what it was at the time, since some of the gas in my tank was still the premix from the first tank. I had 100 miles on the sled, but my fuel guage was getting down towards empty and I didn't know where the next gas stop would be, so I filled it back up. I was only able to get a little over 8 gallons of gas in the tank so there was still a fair amount of premixed gas/oil in the tank. Thoughts???

·
Registered
1 Posts
My sled did the same thing on it's 2nd run. I will bet that your mag side piston is getting ready to shit just like mine did. Cat wanted 2-3 weeks for a new set so hope you don't have any trips planned soon unless you know a good dealer who will pull a set out of one on the floor(it is good to have a dealer who understands customer service). Cat is sending out a tech bulletin to advance your oiler a notch, but for you it is probably too late. Good luck, but bring a rope with the next time you're out.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Originally posted by Chezhed@Feb 10 2003, 12:50 PM
Rob, I do not know for sure what my oil ratio was.  It might actually be difficult to determine what it was at the time, since some of the gas in my tank was still the premix from the first tank.  I had 100 miles on the sled, but my fuel guage was getting down towards empty and I didn't know where the next gas stop would be, so I filled it back up.  I was only able to get a little over 8 gallons of gas in the tank so there was still a fair amount of premixed gas/oil in the tank.  Thoughts???
If you only had 100 miles on, check and see how much the oil reservoir was down from new. It should be fairly easy to say how much oil it used in that hundred miles. If the level was hardly changed, I bet it was the oil pump. But with only a hundred on, its also possible that it was an air bubble from the rear cooler let go also.. Cat can tell by reading your ecu. Make sure your dealer sends your ecu back for the update, and also does the oil pump update. ALSO, have the dealer flow test the front cooler. If he doesn't know how to do that have him call Cat.

Sorry you had the problem, but you should be good to go when you get it back this time.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Rob, before I say anything else, I want to say thank you for this great site. The info that you and others have posted has been invaluable and a big help. With that being said, I will check the amount of oil in the oil reservoir tonight. I always top it off before I go out. It was full before I left on the first ride, and when I filled it before the second ride, the oil came from a brand new gallon of oil, which hasn't been touched since...shouldn't be too hard to figure out how much oil was used during that first trip. I haven't refilled the reservoir since then, so I should be able to figure out how much oil it used during that last trip too.

Regardless of what the oil reservoir shows, I'll be giving my dealer a call tonight...hopefully they can take care of it quickly.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Mine did it also at about 80 miles, right after I got it back from updates. Going down the side of the road around 50mph, and just cut out. I pulled it over and started right up, been running great since, might be just the way I was using the throttle lever, ( over ride switch ). Seems to be getting faster everyday I ride it. The things a BLAST!!!!

·
Registered
118 Posts
smart valve in the fuel tank? once it stalls out and the engine stops the diaphram in the valve will reopen and then start right back up! just my .02 How cold was it out?

·
Registered
244 Posts
Originally posted by DpDoug@Feb 11 2003, 08:05 AM
smart valve in the fuel tank? once it stalls out and the engine stops the diaphram in the valve will reopen and then start right back up! just my .02 How cold was it out?
if i remember right it was around 15 degrees

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I don't remember what the temp was when my sled stalled on Saturday, but I'm guessing it was somewhere between 0 and 10 degrees F. This might be an old question, but have there been problems with the smart valves in the fuel tanks? I had just filled up with gas, probably 20 miles or so before it stalled, so a lack of fuel shouldn't have been an issue.

I didn't get a chance to look at my sled last night, but I'm hoping to get around to it tonight...I'll post what I find.

Thanks again guys.

·
Registered
4,395 Posts
Get the smart valve update and have your oil pump arm adjusted. I think you should run iso heat (red bottle) in your sled if the temp is below 20 degrees.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Mine also burned down with 550 miles on it, also cruising about 50-60 miles an hour.
It was frustrating as I was on a trip to the iron range when it happened. Oh well i got to sit in the bar and get loaded :) The best part is that i am a partsman at a good sized ac dealer. I had the foresight to order in a good amount of cylinders, pistons, and related gaskets when the firecats came out. I brought mine in to work the following monday and had it up and running later that day including all the updates that needed to be done. It sure is nice to have an experienced catmaster on staff who knows his stuff. I feel sorry for all of you who's dealers won't stock motor parts. Good luck gettin em together!

joe

·
Registered
960 Posts
That reminds me of my first sled, the kawasaki intruder 440, one hell of a sled. Same thing happened i was doing about 50 and it stalled, but never started back up :( so i left it in the kennedy feild an rode home with my dad.

RIP

F

·
0 Posts
2003 F7 snopro
350 miles
all updates

Cruising 50-60 down the river and it just stalled out on me. Pulled plugs, both looked great (tan), checked clutches, chaincase...all looked good.

Motor still pulled over fine, might have been slightly stiff on first pull.

Fired right up, had to ride it back to the house. Pulled it in the garage and removed the exhaust to find some bad scoring on MAG piston. I had had the exhaust off around 100 miles ago and noticed slight scuffing on both pistons, but nothing to be alarmed about. It was about 10F when it stalled.

I have over 100 miles on the sled at -20F and colder. I was going to check my oil-fuel ration this weekend, guess I can't now :). But I was getting 1 full tank and about 1/2 through the second tank of gas before my oil light would start to flicker.
Hopefully parts arn't too far backordered!

Guess I gotta take the RMK to the moutains this weekend B)

Kevin; Fairbanks, Alaska

1 - 20 of 28 Posts