Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone see a wear problem on the front skid shock on 2004 F7 Snopro? I'm rebuilding one that has rubbed on the spring so badly that the body needs to be replaced. Any ideas what might cause this? Nothing looks to be bent.

[attachment=104231:attachment]

Attachments

·
Registered
2,179 Posts
Mine looked something like that after about 1500 miles but not as bad. I think it was because I was running the spring too loose. I tightened it up a bit after I had the shock rebuilt and it seems to be fine now.

·
Banned
1,883 Posts
Spring tension too loose? Something bent?

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
Shouldn't there be a rubber sleeve on there? I have used wraps of black tape, about 2mm thick to help with the rubbing...

that looks pretty bad, must be too loose of a spring?

:celebrating:

·
Premium Member
15,688 Posts
Looks like a missing plastic wear sleeve to me. :dunno:

·
Premium Member
5,950 Posts
That's a good one. Those alum bodies aren't cheap! Like hate2 said looks like the wear band was never on there (from the looks of the decal). Tighten the spring up a bit also.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the replies.

This is a rear skid front arm shock - it is not supposed to have the wear band like the ski shocks do. Given how badly it is worn I'm not sure that would have helped.

Spring had several turn of preload - much more preload than I ever ran on a ZR. I'll advise the owner to tighen it up a bit and keep an eye on it.

·
Premium Member
15,688 Posts
You are right, sorry there is no wear ring on the rear shock. That's a good one. Maybe it's too tight? I had mine loose till it rattles and then tighten 1-2 turns. When I took it apart a year ago it still looked like new. The spring or spring mount wasn't broken was it? Another possibility could be that there was an ice biuld up on the front arm and when it compressed the ice chunk would push the spring into the shock body? Just throwing idea's out at this point since I did not take it apart. Good luck.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts