Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Where do I start? Well the sled has 470 (easy) miles & this sled deffinately is not what I thought it would be. Only had the sled for 2 weeks & I have been back to the dealer 3 times for updates & other misc. problems. Problems I have encountered from just 1 weekend of riding:

-Went through 1 gallon of APV oil for 470 miles of riding
-Parking brake fell off...how I don't know!
-Terrible Ice builup coming from under the seat..drooling down the tunnel & building up on the running boards.
-Terrible trail riding performance in the corners
-Stock 4" carbide is not adequate for a supposedly top notch $7000-$8000 sled
-Both upper spring retainers on my front shock springs fell out 80 miles into a trip.
-RPM will go up to about 7800 but the sled struggles to get above 90 mph on good hard pack conditions.
-Brake fluid was not topped off when the sled was purchased...same with coolant.
-Hood decals look like shit peeling off & not aligned properly
-Seams on hood don't align properly
-Exhaust pipe was rusted & the paint was peeling from day 1.

The most frustrating thing for me is that I feel that Im not being told the truth by the dealer....& Cat tells me that I can speak with the dealer only! I can accept the fact that the fit & finish is horrendous. The thing that bothers me is that I'm coming off a 1999 ZR 600 efi & that sled has more balls from bottom to top! I've gotten to the point that I don't want to bring the sled back to the dealer because he can't understand why I would want to go over 90mph. The F7 is supposed to be one bad ass sled...I would like to think my F7 has that potential but there is so many factors in why it seems to be lacking..in regards to a lack of power & top end speed. Can someone help me out as to why this motor seems to be seriously lacking! From what I have read on this site many people have the same issues...but as far as the power & lack of top end issue I have not seen anything but a lot different opinions.

Here is some of what I have been told that may lead to lack of power/top end:

-Throttle cable needing adjustment.
-Power valves needing adjustment/cleaning
-Clutch out of alignmnet
-Piston damage due to various issues
-Cracked exhaust pipe
-Bad ECU
-Bad Belt
-Track comes too tight from the factory
-Oil pump adjustment runs the sled too rich
-Improper fuel & fuel switch being used in the wrong mode
-Fuel pump restricted

It would be nice to think I can just tweak a few things & this sled will run like it should...does anyone else have the same issues?? Does anyone have any simple solutions? Buying this sled has been the most frustrating experience for me...I'm not a mechanic or a rocket scientist....so I do not have all the answers. My dealer just seems to care about making sure the updates are done & that the sled is getting as much oil as possible. It seems to me that some of the updates take away from the performance of the sled to cover A/C's & the dealers ass. What about the consumer who was told that this sled is one of the fastest most radical sleds on snow? So far I think I have a lemon. The sled doesn't even have 500 miles & I could write a book on all the the problems & issues that need resolving on this sled. At this point in time I just wish I could get the sled to run stronger. If anyone could outline & describe to me what I need to do I would like to be able to do the work myself without having to load up & drive 2 hours back to my dealer. Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
820 Posts
I hate to reply to this thread but here goes, 1 gallon in 470 miles? I dont even think it could run at that usage, let alone perform like an f7.
I would start with the oil usage!

·
Registered
820 Posts
I dont know, I am sure someone will give you a guess, mine came from the factory at 58-1 or so and mine is still melting down, next time you ride even if it is a short ride check your ratio!

·
Registered
2,763 Posts
Best bet would be find another dealer in your area. Just list your city and state and ask for dealers in that area. Someone from here can point you in the right direction to getting a dealer that will provide better to meet your needs.

·
Premium Member
9,228 Posts
All you listed could effect performance. I would find a new dealer maybe one that is performance minded. Also your fuel/oil ratio is horrendous at 32:1. Start with the oil pump, then the power valves. Your other problems are due to poor dealer setup.

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
* Also make sure the plastic vent tube (for barametric pressure sensor) from the ECU on top of the airbox isn't plugged with grease where it goes down next to the air box. Takes two seconds to check.

* And of course you ARE using 87 octane with the fuel switch in Regular mode, right?!

* Did you take the black plastic cover off the APV servo motor and run the sled on the stand over 7000 to make sure the servo IS indeed operating?

* Not too much play in your throttle, which would indicate a possible need for throttle cable adjustment?

* Possible TPS (throttle position sensor) need adjusting?

Just curious, did you run your F7 against your old '99 ZR600, or any other stock F7s for comparison's sake? -- Roy

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the help guys! I don't know what I would do without everyone's help at this site. The possibility of a plugged ECU vent tube is something I haven't heard yet...I will check that out. My dealer told me to keep the switch in ehtanol mode because sleds have been burning down in regular mode...also my state has mbte in the gas which requires ethanol mode. I took the cover off the APV servo & ran the sled up over 7000 & it did move..but is that all you need to look for??...I measured the distance in the cables for the powervlaves & they are within spec. How can I adjust the throttle cable or the TPS sensor? Seems to be a lot of movement in the throttle. Haven't felt comfortable running the sled hard...& have not run any other sleds yet. Thanks for the help!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts