Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys, a good quick fix would be to run with the switch in the "Ethanol" position. This will not let the motor get hot enough to sieze! Use the switch, that is what it is there for. I'm sure next year you will see the fuel mapping go richer in the "regular" mode. This will put an end to the warranty claims. Plus the sled still runs awesome in ethanol mode. If anyone siezes in ethanol mode, please post. I would I imagine that no one has.......the fix is already on your sled.........good luck.

·
Registered
51 Posts
They are not seizing because of a lean condition, It's because there is no coolant in the cylinders. (atleast in my case)

If this was a carb sled, I would jet it down a size because of the color of the plugs and the top of the piston.

Dan E...

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good post Dan, yes your correct, if it is caused by no coolant then it will not matter how rich the motor is. Oh well, there goes the quick fix right out the window!

·
Registered
3,134 Posts
If the coolant system is properly purged of all air and the engine is warmed up properly before riding hard, cold seizing the pistons should not happen. This engine has some tighter than normal tolerances. I can count how many times I've seen people start their sleds cold and then hammer the throttle without any warmup at all!! IMHO, I believe most engine related failures regarding seizures are brought on by the individual, not the component failure. JM2C.................

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
yea great theory, except all those guys that hammer the throttle cold and dont have cold seizure, whats the answer to that?
my zr 800's only warm up they got was pulling out of the trailer,
01 and 02 cross country 800, never a motor problem
though there is a piston recall on the 01 but i never had a problem

i think theres more to this firecat problem, than what cat is letting out of the bag!

have 50 miles on mine, no cold seizure but at the dealer now for all the bullshit!

·
Registered
4 Posts
the way I read it, is the F7 has tighter piston to cylinder clearance than other engines, so warm up is more critical. I can accept that :)

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
a little warm up time is better than no sled to ride!!
Rob, how long do you let yours warm up
in theory the piston should heat up and expand quicker than the cylinder due to cylinder being thicker material,
although some guys say metals heat evenly
any comments on this
could this be the cause of the cold seizures we here about

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Personally i let mine go for atleast 8 minutes and then after that its cranky and cold still...so i throttle around the lake in my bake yard.....then i stretch her legs and its all go from there.....

We had 1 melt down up here at..... the service guy told me the sled hit 8000 rpm while the engine was showing 11 degrees celcius!!!!!!

dumbass

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
Originally posted by CCC Sniper@Dec 25 2002, 08:10 PM
..... the service guy told me the sled hit 8000 rpm while the engine was showing 11 degrees celcius!!!!!!
Wow... the computer stores that kind of info? That's pretty cool! Or... um, not so cool in some cases, for some people! -- Roy

·
Registered
53 Posts
Dealers can tell the air temp and water temp the sled was last run @ or when it burned down. We can even figure average miles per hour the sled was driven (although not too accurate, considering idle time).

Keep in mind each time the sled tolerences are tightened up, the more critical it is the sled should be properly warmed up. This means the coolant should start to circulate. Whether it be some slow riding before hammering the throttle or not. Don't be in such a hurry. lol

1 - 10 of 10 Posts