Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,846 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here one pic, more to follow. This is on FCR61's F7 Patriot, will be doing my Sabercat next weekend.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Looks good how about posting order info with price & part #. Thanks.

·
Registered
2,150 Posts
its not a part, he drilled hole in the running boards. You can do this yourself too. I wouldnt really want to drill hole in my running boards though.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Jay - What does it do to the strength of the running boards? I just put the side grips on ( the ones that wrap around the sides) and was planning on putting on the cheese graters under the feet but they didn't fit!. The cheese graters tend to hold snow anyway. Yours look great!

·
Registered
3,719 Posts
There half inch holes that are then flared with a tool that clamps both sides and flares it out nice and clean.I saw a thread about this on Snowest,the tool only costs thirty$,and most people have the drill bits needed to do the job,I bet you spent more on your after market grips,and the flared holes actually strengthen the running boards!

·
Premium Member
2,846 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
All true!!! Holes are drilled in the running board and then flared. Tool costs $30, but between me and FCR61 we are going to do 3 sleds like this. If I had to buy running board grips, it would be like $200 for 3 sleds, so it was a no brainer. And this actually strengthens the boards.

I got the idea from the Snowest forums. Here is the link to that which includes where you can buy the tool:
SnoWest thread

I went over and tried these tonight...... INCREDIBLE!!!!! Best solution I've ever seen, this will NO DOUBT work better than any edge or add on grip. The only thing that probably compares is the Rox Sledtred, but again those are like $180 for the set.

(BTW: Not that I care, but the drilled boards are standard on the Viper and RX-1, so its done in the industry for those who say they would never drill their boards)

·
Registered
242 Posts
I was truly surprised that a sled thet was sold as a "stand up sled" didn't have anything where you are supposed to stand. My ZL at least has dimples for traction. Maybe they thought each rider would have a preferance. This is the best I've seen yut. I hate the grip plates because they hold ice after I run awhile. This is perfect.

R

·
0 Posts
Hey your ship is going to sink and your feet are going to get wet with those holes in your boat!! :p B) :p Ha! Ha!, They look really good, might look into the tool.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Jay thanks for the info. What size holes did they drill , which size flare tool did you buy. If possible could you take some pictures of the tool. I work in a machine shop and could easily make this.

·
Premium Member
1,064 Posts
Guys, as Jay said this is the best solution so far, plus it is very inexpensive. All you do is drill a 1/2" hole (I used a uni-bit) then use the flare tool and a rachet. As far as strength goes I didn't notice any difference in the deflection of the board as compared to factory. A big thanks has got to go out to Huz-yur-daddy for bringing up this post. Happy drilling!!! :D

·
Registered
485 Posts
:lol: Absolutely perfect, you are the man, I want to do that to my snow flap, hood, and windshield! :lol: :lol: Seriously though the factory missed out on this finishing touch didn't they?

·
Registered
245 Posts
Yeah, Spend $8000 on the sled, then $2000 in accesories :blink: usually that GO FAST PARTS - Well, AC GAVE US THE GO FAST STUFF, now WE GOTTA buy the Accessories. Nice trade off 'eh :wub:

Seriously, I didnt have any freezing of my grips, and they worked pretty good. I got the "cheese grates" on now, and am planning on installing my CrossCounty grips this weekend (already got them) I'l let you know how that works. :unsure:

·
Registered
853 Posts
Huz said he used the 1/2" flare tool with the 1/4"-1" uni-bit. Here's the ph. number for Mittler Bros. 800-467-2464

·
Registered
24 Posts
My tool is in the mail. Hope they make enough of these with all the publicity they have gotten in all the forums. Great idea!
Looks great Jay, what was your spacing measurements, are you going to add edge grips also?

·
Premium Member
2,846 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Originally posted by SabreCat@Dec 12 2002, 10:19 AM
Looks great Jay, what was your spacing measurements, are you going to add edge grips also?
I don't knwo exact spacing, it was done by FCR61 on his sled. There is no need to put edge grips on with these perf's IMO.

·
Premium Member
1,064 Posts
Sabrecat, with this mod there is no need for edge grips what-so-ever, your feet stick to the boards like glue. As far a spacing I do have a couple of pics with a tape measure next to the holes, but just lay them out first with a marker, be sure not to put them too close together.

·
Registered
861 Posts
My Flair Tool and Unibit is in the mail as well.
Just got off the phone with the company, I think he may have just hung up with you Sabre, he asked if I was from Vermont like the other guy.
The number is 1-800-467-2464 and they have parts in stock.
I suggested they come on HCS and give a discount to the group, but he didn't seem so inclined......................Oh well, I tried.
Thanks again for the pics and the idea, should work great.

Kevin

1 - 20 of 31 Posts