Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was riding my f7 today and when im going wide open the tach is very unconsistant, it bounces all over and does not give a good reading, so i check my max rev recall and it says it was 9880! thats way to high because if i was going that high i would have blown my sled or have had no power, right?

so i was wondering if anyone else has had this problem of the tach bouncing and the max rpm recall is way off, over revving?

My concern about this is that, if i wanted to clutch the sled and whatnot i could not get a good tach read to clutch the sled properly, and because the sled should be running in the high 7000 rpms for best power, i would like it to be there, and with this dumb tach i have no way of knowing what my rmp is!

thanks,dave.

·
Registered
4 Posts
there are posts about this on the old board. The fix is to turn the coil 180 degrees. The wires crossing are causing the wrong readings.

·
Registered
2,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
has anyone actually turned their coil and see a better result?

rob,

the only reason why i didnt see it on the other board was that i didnt have my sled so i didnt really check up on the problem. I just checked the old boards and it is not up on there anymore, the forum that it was in was removed or somthing. if i brought my sled to the dealer do you think they could fix this? have you tried the turning the coil thing?

thanks,dave

·
Registered
18 Posts
The tach/speedo is very difficult to read. I did find it is easier to read when the tach is digital and the speedo uses the needle.

Let's hear from someone who has tackled the coil fix.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I took my sled back to the dealer for the overrev problem. They relocated the ignition coil to the alumninum bracket for steering post between oil filler and exhast valve servo. Tach now works great as it should. Tach now registers max RPM 7840. I have heard the inverting 180 degree method works as well.

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
My tach also work's well....grain felid about 15 cm snow tach read's 7840-7950.On a snow/ice packed road very slick and fast it will read up to 8200-8300 at 115 mph on the speedo.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Originally posted by Davey_Boy@Dec 7 2002, 08:26 PM
has anyone actually turned their coil and see a better result?

rob,

the only reason why i didnt see it on the other board was that i didnt have my sled so i didnt really check up on the problem. I just checked the old boards and it is not up on there anymore, the forum that it was in was removed or somthing. if i brought my sled to the dealer do you think they could fix this? have you tried the turning the coil thing?

thanks,dave
the old forum is still up at http://www.robertlyonsphotography.com/forums/index.php
and you can search for old messages. I did a search for "tach" and found the thread:
http://www.robertlyonsphotography.com/foru...T&f=2&t=706&hl=

This works...for sure.

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
Yup, my digitach was doing the same damn thing -- 9100-9300 peak RPM recalls, and the needle bouncing around sometimes too. You guys are TURNING the coil 180 degrees, and not flipping it upside down right??? It'd sure be nice for everyone's sake, if we got the low down, or official word, on EXACTLY how to cure this unacceptable problem! -- Roy

1 - 13 of 13 Posts