Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just seen an F7 in the shop that was burning about 76 : 1 fuel ratio with factory pump settings. Way to lean guys! I would suggest people do a ratio test next time out. 50L gas = 1L oil. Anything over 55:1 I would adjust up, anything in the 40-50 range is normal considering varying throttle position. Most guys aren't scared to burn a little extra oil vs not enough.

·
Registered
930 Posts
Originally posted by Thumper@Dec 28 2002, 02:59 AM
Just seen an F7 in the shop that was burning about 76 : 1 fuel ratio with factory pump settings. Way to lean guys! I would suggest people do a ratio test next time out. 50L gas = 1L oil. Anything over 55:1 I would adjust up, anything in the 40-50 range is normal considering varying throttle position. Most guys aren't scared to burn a little extra oil vs not enough.
It depends on the riding conditions, at speed (say in Quebec) with constant throttle, 70:1 is not unusual. It's where it should be...Marc

·
Registered
404 Posts
While it's under warranty I wouldn't touch it. I like the idea of using less. BTW, I needed oil after 1.5 tanks, what's the size of the oil tank?

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Oil tank capacity is 2.67 L or 2.8 US qt. Every throttle position varies the ratios of which I had here at one point. I think GLS posted them at some point and will try to get him to repost. I just checked consumption again today and it was 83:1. Although I would tell him not to worry if it was a little out that is just to lean for longevity. Watch and see while on warranty is fine but when you take out a motor warranty does you no good while you are sitting sledless waiting for a new one. Another case scenario would be that the motor continues to trudge on but ring and cylinder longevity is dramatically effected. I was gonna adjust but adjustment nut for long wrench has changed size and is very hard to get at with any other wrench. I would be curious to know what everyone else is getting for consumption on average?

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think I will just add premix in wee amounts as saftey till we can get the proper adjustment done. Looking at the beast now I am not convinced as to how to adjust. Does linkage have to be unhooked from throttle body and everything turned or can the lock nut be loosened and just the barrel nut turned with the proper long 90 degree head wrench like used on the old ones. Also I can see no alignment marks to verify setting like on the cable assembly. Also of note and not in the pic is a pin or something that goes through the barrel nut, who's purpose I am unaware of.

In addition there is the theory that adding premix actually "leans" it out. I am not sure I follow this as all I can see that controls oil flow is the mechanical linkage to the throttle body. I was not aware of a sensor that monitors oil flow or amount in mixture and adjusts accordingly?

Attachments

·
Registered
147 Posts
Just the other day I called Lubetech and ask what the oil ratios were on the Arctic Cats - they are 90:1 @ idle and 40:1 @ wot
The oil pumps are not to be adjusted from factory settings (inless they are incorrect to begin with and by incorrect they mean the index lines on the oil pump housing and the oil pump control arm arms @ idle and wot are off)
Heck oil is cheaper than engines, don't ya think!
And another thing people do is go out and use the cheapest oil they can find " thats really DUMB"

·
Premium Member
13,993 Posts
All you need to do is tip the sled on its side, pull the belly pan off, stick a mirror up in there and see if the marks are in line, adding oil to the gas tank will cause the engine to run lean (on fuel) as the oil takes up volume that the efi thinks is gas.

Krom

1 - 9 of 9 Posts