Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The bulletin states to adjust it to the max, anybody done it and how's the ratio working now??

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
rob, turned his up two turns and also mentioned the marks on the pump are useless!
every one is saying, you have to drop belly pan, it looks like to me you can get to the linkage from up top, (have not tried yet!) so i can not confirm :wacko:

·
Registered
6,125 Posts
Honestly has any one checked the ratio before even getting bent out of shape-if your running in the average of 60-1 to 80-1 i wouldnt even touch the damn thing-i own two f5s and all of us f5 owners where complaining that our sleds where using to much oil!!!!!!!!!One f5 was at 25-1 now i adjusted the oil pump and its at 65-1-the other is at 45-1 and still have to adjust-If your an f7 owner and your ratio is at 85-1 to say 120-1 yes i would be pissed and be all over cats ass-personally i would tell them to take their gift certificate and!!!!!!But on the other hand if you have been keeping track and it falls in the correct range,dont worry about it,hang on tight and go kick some ass-Whats going to happen if you shorten it up and all of a sudden its using to much oil like us f5 owners????To me its almost a no win situation until cat gets these damn things addressed for 04-by that time it might be to late-but remember if your in that 60-1 to 80-1 ratio DONT SWEAT IT hell if your in the 40-1 to 50-1 ratio your doing even better if you can live with the oil usage-scott-bottom line check your oil ratio and go from there!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
6,125 Posts
They can check the marks,thats about it.I guess if they wanted to get technical they could do a oil injection out put test right in the shop-its explained in the performance manual-otherwise cat should have told us right from the beginning to check our oil ratios while riding,not after winter is half over-i did check my oil ratios from the beginning but in hindsight i guess it was good compared to some of you f7 owners-remember mine where using way to much oil-scott-trust me i feel for you guys-i would be pissed after 2000 miles to find out that my sled has a ratio of 120-1-i guess with owning cats for so long thats why i keep track of this stuff right from the beginning-just my two cents-the only problem im having to deal with besides my apv cables is whats the resale on these things going to be next year-who in there right mind is going to buy used 03 firecats-hell now i have to drive them till the tracks fall off-thats sucks-no retail value!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
244 Posts
check in tell it to arctic cat . GLS just posted what the problem is and the suggested oil ratio should be.
under GLS:eek:il ratio

·
Registered
4 Posts
Originally posted by bee1971@Feb 9 2003, 11:00 AM
Honestly has any one checked the ratio before even getting bent out of shape-if your running in the average of 60-1 to 80-1 i wouldnt even touch the damn thing-i own two f5s and all of us f5 owners where complaining that our sleds where using to much oil!!!!!!!!!One f5 was at 25-1 now i adjusted the oil pump and its at 65-1-the other is at 45-1 and still have to adjust-If your an f7 owner and your ratio is at 85-1 to say 120-1 yes i would be pissed and be all over cats ass-personally i would tell them to take their gift certificate and!!!!!!But on the other hand if you have been keeping track and it falls in the correct range,dont worry about it,hang on tight and go kick some ass-Whats going to happen if you shorten it up and all of a sudden its using to much oil like us f5 owners????To me its almost a no win situation until cat gets these damn things addressed for 04-by that time it might be to late-but remember if your in that 60-1 to 80-1 ratio DONT SWEAT IT hell if your in the 40-1 to 50-1 ratio your doing even better if you can live with the oil usage-scott-bottom line check your oil ratio and go from there!!!!!!!!!!!
Good Post!
and I agree! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
6,125 Posts
Thanx rob-and after reading gls response this morning he says some f7s you can turn the rod 1 turn and some up to 6 turns-so where does that put most f7s,probably in the middle-so this problem might effect ????I guess if your really concerned after checking your oil ratio,pull the exhaust y pipe off and check your pistons,that should tell you everthing you need to know,or better yet after dealer adjusts your oil pump if needed have them check your pistons and cylinders for free-its called piece of mind-scott

·
Registered
4 Posts
Originally posted by bee1971@Feb 9 2003, 05:07 PM
Thanx rob-and after reading gls response this morning he says some f7s you can turn the rod 1 turn and some up to 6 turns-so where does that put most f7s,probably in the middle-so this problem might effect ????I guess if your really concerned after checking your oil ratio,pull the exhaust y pipe off and check your pistons,that should tell you everthing you need to know,or better yet after dealer adjusts your oil pump if needed have them check your pistons and cylinders for free-its called piece of mind-scott
My oil pump rod had at least 6 turns of threads showing.. Even after I increased flow 2 turns there are at least 4 turns left. My oil ratio was 59:1 today. If I would bottom the threads it would be one rich bitch for sure! No way do I want that. Mine stays where it is, no need for more oil than that.

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
in terms of resale, if cat does'nt make any major changes i do'nt believe resale will be all that bad. i've got 750 trouble free miles on so far and i know many other people with the same situation. i believe that because of this site, we are MUCH more AWARE of up to date information regarding individual problems that some firecat's are experiencing. so it is possible that this intensified awareness is causing acute paranoia. if not we always take it in the rear when it comes to trading after the first season of use anyway. how much more pitiful could it get?

·
Registered
6,125 Posts
Yes on all the zr 500s ive owned i set up for 60-1 to 70-1- and average about 2500 miles a year-never had a cylinder off period-ive had great luck with cats 500 so thats why i bought f5s-1500 miles on wifes have set to about 60-1 after recieving from dealer at 25-1-my other is about 40-1-about 500 miles-both go into shop for some minor twitches-but if your at a good ratio i wouldnt screw with it also-hell you got the most miles and your sled runs awesome,zero problems-by the way thanx for this website,now i spend all my time on here when im not riding-my wife hates me,she thinks i have twenty girlfriends on the web,this website in the winter-moparts.com in the summer-life is good-firecats and superbees!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
3,397 Posts
I adjusted my oil pump rod tonight just to be safe as I am going riding the next four days - don't want any trouble. I had about 7 threads on the rod and tightened up three turns. I will be keeping track of my oil usage more closely and adjust if needed. Pulled the exhaust will I was at it (makes it easier to adjust rod also) and pistons look good.

·
Registered
269 Posts
I posted this in the problem forum also. had my update done on the oil pump.and noticed some scratches on the right side piston,so the dealer took it apart and the nical plating was pealing.they are replacing the piston and cylinder.which is covered under warranty.the machine runs strong.i'd recommend everyone to check their pistons while its still under warranty! just pull the pipe off and look in at the pistons.better to be safe than sorry B)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts