Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
772 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
opps...orginal post was posted by me...reply to this one...wrong name..using the pappys name

well boys and girls..after running against my buddys tongiht in the first of many shootouts i have a hard time beleiving the posts that everyone out there with there stock f cats are beating everything else out there ...first off..track was packed down 3 nights ago and decent track conditions about 1/4 mile runs maybe little longer...but it was little loose on top and fluffy compacted snow..not the best conditions but not bad..all sleds have 1.25 or 1.375 tracks and non studded....first off the ONLY things ive done to my sno pro 7 is adjust the limiter straps going up one notch...and then i changed my gearing to 22/40 .....i dont have another stock F7 to compare to but ...anyways..raced 2003 MXZ Renagade 800 and a 02 800 Renegade the renegade has stock gears and the 02 800 has the stock MXZ gears..i belive they are 25/45 ?? am i wrong..but anyways...with the 03...i beat em all out of the hole every time WHEN I got hookup...and walked right away about 2-3 sled lenghts..the 02 with the MXZ gears walks by me at a steady clip after about 600 feet and keeps going slowly till about 4-5 sled lenghts ahead..then we just kinda stay even..i dont gain nor loose...with the 03 renegade with stock gearing....i beat him agian..and he catchs up to about 1-2 sled lengths maybe a little closer and and i beat him pretty much every time..but sometime hes almost ready to pass at the 1/4 mile mark or so...but here sthe thing..stock rengade is more for hole shot and less for top end..and the mxz gears in the 02 renagade is gonna alow more top end and less hole shot..but the 02 wouldnt be to far behind if we both hoooked up out of the hole....it was pretty embarassing for me...going there me racing countless times and then switching sleds over and over and still the same results...like once or twice i beat the 02 renegade by 1/2 sled....i thought if anything they would get me out of the hole and my Fire kitty would take em up top AFTER 600 feet...remember the renegade is 136 track too...the 22/40 i thought would keep a hole shot and improve top end...i have to choices....throw in the top 23's again and try 23/40 or go back to stock..because my buddy before he changed his gearing to the stock MXZ gearing and chain said my sled would pull on his stock Renegade...no today when i raced i didnt pull at all on the stocker..was even if not ready to loose..weird stuff huh...what would u recomend?? which size gearings..remember i havent touched clutching...nor do i really want to...with my 22/40 gearing i was pulling 7840 RPM on max recal..which i thought was right on right??? the only thing i destroyed today was the 03 Pro X 700...like top to bottom was not even close...i have him a literal 6-8 sled lenght start and i caught up within a 1000 feet and walked on by...that was funny...but all u guys saying ur beating Rev or MXZ 800's or Thunder cats etc etc..i have a hard time beliving it...well throw me some suggestions guys :p

·
Premium Member
2,693 Posts
There are so many variables its not funny. Max RPM means nothing on the tach. That could have happened at take-off. You need the to watch the tach during your run to see whats its pulling on top end. 22/40 may be too tall for your weight or conditions, who knows? Track tension, rider weight, transfer, belt slippage,studs, a lot of things. Do not run over 87 octane, if you are running 93, you will be slower! These motors are plenty rich on top and don't need the extra octane. Proper set-up and ideal conditions are critical for best runs. If you are having problems with those sleds, stay away from mine or you will really be upset. Check belt condition and deflection.

·
Registered
20 Posts
big fire chief,
one word for you, put your sled back to stock! your gearing is to low, good out of the hole, but sucks up top! stock gearing is much better!

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
Stock gearing on a 02 renegade is 23/40. I owned one last year and there is NO way that it would compete stock to stock with my F7. The renegade pulls hard to 100 and then falls flat on its face. If you are geared to low you are going to lose alot on the bottom as in snow you just spin out.
Trust me, that 800 renegade is not stock and you can make your sled run better.

·
Registered
772 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
...i know lots a variables....on real hard pack it could be differnt...i only run 87 octane....cheap junk and runs running on the regular mode...in looser snow like we had...i suppose the limiter should of been let out all the way...tension on track was loose...i got 750 miles on my sled..and stock belt...so that should be fine...im just fluster...maybe i should go back to stockers..or maybe try the 23/40..i never ran against anyone with the 23/40..but the 22/41 may be better for the rengades?? who knows..the thing that gets me is the one with the MXZ gearing..it goes against what i thought....that he wont have the top end as much with the longer track..but it seems to pull fine..

·
Registered
485 Posts
:lol: Too much orange stuff slows you down!!!! The 800 doo and 800 rev are very, very close to my f7. IF they are stock and not dialed in you will take em evrey time. If they tinker and optimize what they have, and I'm not talking aftermarket parts here,just good setup, then you'll have a good match. Take my buddies 02 800 doo every time, however my buds 800 mxz '02 runs right beside me. He tinkers, the other doesn't. Try this, find one of these guys who runs about dead even or very close. Then trade sleds and repeat, the results might surprise you!!!Hold your head high too my friend, remember your on a 700 playing with 800s and long tracked hook up kings. If your still feeling bad go race a rx1, haven't lost yet :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
593 Posts
you should not be grtting beat by 2002 800 ski-doos. Two of my friends have these sleds with a little clutch workm done to them and i beat them every time on my stock 7f. what ever you did to yours change it and go back to stock

·
Registered
141 Posts
I was competing at the COSDRA drags in Blind River (that's Ontario, Canada for all you yankie gents). I placed second in STOCK 700cc single pipe non-studded class both Sat and Sun. I didn't feel to bad though the winner of those finals was on an f7 with the front tied down and who knows what else. It was supose to be stock but had holes drilled in his airbox, which the officals made him either plug up or D.Q. So he taped them up. Much closer of a race then, but not sure if he touched his clutching or not. Mine is literally "box stock". No clutching, no nothing. the only thing I have done was change my plugs! As far as the competition, well Pro X 's were a joke (no offence) and the MXZ's seemed to be the more of a challenge. I raced in the 800 classes as well but was redlighting the heats which prevented me from progressing to the semi finals in those heats. Would I have done well if not for that? i think so. Their times were real close to mine. But let's face it. All 660' drags are pretty much won at the start. You'd be suprised at what a fraction of a second and speed at 60' makes on the outcome. Regardless my F7 got me two trophies and some money, hats, plugs etc. It was a great weekend- Thanks Arctic Cat

speedmerchant

·
Premium Member
2,693 Posts
Go back to 22/41 gear. Don't try to compare gear ratios with other sleds. The F7 has large diameter drive cogs on it which has an effect on overall drive ratio. Stock gear will pull well over 100 MPH. I run 22/40 because my clutching combination needs it. I'm running less weight in the primary clutch than a stocker. I need the taller gear to load the motor harder. The taller lug track will also cost you some speed on top end. For optimum results, the sled should run at 76-7700 rpm and build up 7800+ on top end. If its going over 8000, that might be causing your problems. Mine seems to flatten out and stop pulling hard just under 8000. It will still keep revving, but doesn't pull as hard. Make sure your belt isn't glazed over. Mine was starting to separate at just over 600 miles.

·
Registered
37 Posts
If your running in any kind of loose snow you should be running a mountain cat if you want to complete with cross over or mountain sleds. My f7 will run 95 to 100 in groomed trail conditions, 115 on ice. The renegade is going to run 100 in either condition. Run in different conditions, you won't be dissappointed.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Check your APV valves first, I too have the sno pro suspension. Something I noticed on my sled was when I pulled my limiter strap up one hole. I lost top end big time on my sled. I wasn't gettting the weight transfer that I was getting before. My sled just didn't perform like it did. I'm not saying this what happened in your case. My sled turned alot better with straps up one hole. Any way I ended up dropped the strap back down to the stock setting and what do you know, my performance was back. I just went with longer carbides. Problem solved. I now am able to turn and I have all my performance back. Try dropping your strap back down to the stock position. If it doesn't help pull it back up. It did make a difference in my case. Just my .02 worth. B)

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
Originally posted by LUVMYF7@Feb 6 2003, 09:52 AM
I too have the sno pro suspension. Something I noticed on my sled was when I pulled my limiter strap up one hole. I lost top end big time on my sled. I wasn't gettting the weight transfer that I was getting before. My sled just didn't perform like it did. I'm not saying this what happened in your case. My sled turned alot better with straps up one hole. Any way I ended up dropped the strap back down to the stock setting and what do you know, my performance was back. I just went with longer carbides. Problem solved. I now am able to turn and I have all my performance back. Try dropping your strap back down to the stock position. If it doesn't help pull it back up. It did make a difference in my case. Just my .02 worth. B)
Just curious, how did you determine the performance changes with the different limiter strap settings? Did you change settings and notice the changes on the same day and same conditions, against some buddies, a baseline test sled, speedo, or just seat-of-the-pants? I'm very interested in any additional feedback you can give concerning the performance difference you noticed with the different settings -- stock (longest) vs. sucked up one hole. Thanks! -- Roy

·
Registered
148 Posts
It spun a lot more out of the hole and would top out at about 95 mph. I think it took to much weight off of the front of my track. I pulled it up to try and get it to corner better. It cornered better but I lost a lot of performance. I don't why it did this on my sled but it did. I changed the strap back to stock and my holeshot got right back where it was and my top end was right back up to 115. I think it took away too much of my front track pressure. Makes sense if you think about it. It might not do this on everybodys sled but it did on mine. :wacko:

·
Registered
772 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
thanks for all the replys guys...heres what i noticed with the limiter sucked up....great for hole shots in the sense i can finally keep my skis only a 3-5 inches off the ground and it doesnt walk 3 feet up and down so i have to let off if i get hook up to reaim my sled on take off....thats the hole reason i did it...i can tell by the seat of my pants it did better as far as keeping skis down on take off and over all handling it added a lot of needed ski pressure for the tight and twistys..but i guess ill throw my stock gears in again and see how it works...the snow was semi packed and track deteriorated as the night went on....once we find some real nice hard pack then ill let u know..until the mean time all though my ski doo buddys were impressed at the 700..they "knew it wasnt as fast as there 800's and it this motor got talked up to much" ..haha they have braging rights...hopefully for now! and not later...

·
Registered
453 Posts
Was up at Lake Winni in NH last weekend. We had the big boy shoot out on a minimum 1/2 mile run. 03 Zr900, 98 Thundercat,03 Firecat F7. Heres how it went. The Thunder jumped em off the line, but not for long. The 900 and the F7 pretty even till about half track. Both went by the Thundercat rather easily about 600 feet or so and pulled away. This leaves the ZR9, and the F7 to battle, the F7 slowly creeps away, ends up beating the ZR9 by possible 2 sled lengths tops. I am so undecided, wanna buy one of those sleds next year, just not sure which. I was convinced it was the ZR9, after seeing this im rethinking that. Wait and see what they got I guess!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts