Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright Guys I have a few questions for you as we start our new project.

Details:

My father has decided to purchase a new sled for the year. He is still in the balance between two sleds. The Cross Fire Snow Pro (black), and the Yami black one with the floats (not sure on the name). We looked at what his F7 would be worth on a trade in… close enough to nothing that we have decided to keep it around. Its an 03 F7 that has given us no problems. It is currently a Snow Pro with the large track… ODS clutch kit. The thing really runs well… but 5000 miles shows its age.

We have a cabin on the Three Lakes Chain in Three Lakes Wisconsin. If you are familiar with this area it’s a large drag from lake to lake… to lake. The lakes become proving grounds. Hard pack snow and a mixture of long and short runs make for a lot of fun. I have an F6 Snow Pro which is by far no lake monster. It will run with some really good sleds… but its not one to get cocky with when an 800 pulls up next to you. Dad’s F7 was that sled… but now that he will be on a Cross Fire (slower I assume) we need a lake monster to take down for some “fun runs”.

Question:

We want to make this thing wicked and reliable. I know that proper tuned sleds are hard to deal with… but I hate to say it, for the most part a lot of riders take looks a lot more serious then fine tune speed on a sled. Here is what I want to do:

1. Change the track. We want a short speed track for the sled and stud the hell out of it. What are you guys running for speed tracks?
2. Clutch kit. We have the ODS, but is it really the best one to have?
3. Timing Key. I have been told this is an added plus.
4. Head work. Bikeman, maybe?
5. Light weight.
a. Im thinking a light weight hood… the hole nine yards.


Any other suggestions you have will be great. This will be a shared sled between me and Dad (plugged jet). We just don’t want to kill it. Haha. Let me know what you think… any info will be appreciated. I just want to make sure that you know we have thought about F8 and you have seen posts from me about the F8 kits and my interest in them. So that has been taken into consideration and ruled out…for this sled at least. Muuuwahaha! :fluffy:

Thank you in advance,

NightFireSnowPro
PluggedJet
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,003 Posts
I, would suggest a 1inch track 153 or more of 1.175 studs a little more gear for up top (the F7 can take it ) lower the suspension a little (better areo) Bikeman quiet performer package with the correct bolt ons and a dyno tune that package should do you fine ...Until a real lake racer gets ahold of you like a F8/9 keeping in mind my 03 standard with 1inch and 153 1.175 megabites did 118 on a long run and that was stock with a ods clutch system ... I have some standard stuff if you want to lower it a little PM me
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,274 Posts
F8, 1 inch track with 204 picks. Not studs, picks. You wont beleive the difference. Leave the hood stock. You dont want to look too mod.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
20,649 Posts
there is a differece between rob riding around on his sled for 10,000 miles and someone pounding the crap out of there sled in 5000. If I road my sled the way I do fo 10000 miles in a season, I dont think there would anything left of it. haha
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Originally posted by Firecat_freak@Sep 15 2005, 12:45 PM
since when is 5000 miles old?  Hell, rob put on over 10k the first winter

FF
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=876235
[/quote]


My father and Rod are a lot a like. Trust me, my dad looks at snowmobiles like flying air planes... People actually want to go snowmobiling with us due to the fact that if they break down (which they usually do) he is a wonderful mechanic. He was also written up in SnowGoer because of the work he did with others on a few Decker Tours. The question of the sled being in good shape... not even a question.

We want to make a fast sled, faster. We both will be riding "slower" sleds next year and we dont want to lose our "ace" in the hole if you know what I mean. The sled is mechanically great... but as we all know, miles are miles! :div20:
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,427 Posts
Well Freshen up the top for sure.
Key
Maybe shave the head.
Twins.
Boon docker.

DO up your own clutch kit. You will have to. Just keep enough secondary spring to stop belt slipping. You don't need any backshift for racing. Dan at ODS can help you here.
Figure out how fast you want to go and gear for that and no more. If you gear for more you WILL lose acceleration.

If you are not using it for to much maybe even lighten the track by opening up some windows.

Get a wave rotor for the brake (Reduced inertia)

I am jealous!!! I wish I had the cash to make a lake racer. (But I would find a 99 t-cat for that!! )
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,717 Posts
Do whatever the hell TeamgreenF7 has done to his Firecat. I think I read that it is still a 700, but with pipes and porting. That Firecat pulls Mach Z's like crazy!

:div20:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Originally posted by maceng@Sep 15 2005, 07:16 PM
Do whatever the hell TeamgreenF7 has done to his Firecat.  I think I read that it is still a 700, but with pipes and porting.  That Firecat pulls Mach Z's like crazy!

:div20:
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=876895
[/quote]


Do you think that he/she would let this information out? :cn:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Originally posted by ZRJoe@Sep 15 2005, 07:05 PM
Well Freshen up the top for sure.
Key
Maybe shave the head.
Twins.
Boon docker.

DO up your own clutch kit. You will have to. Just keep enough secondary spring to stop belt slipping. You don't need any backshift for racing. Dan at ODS can help you here.
Figure out how fast you want to go and gear for that and no more. If you gear for more you WILL lose acceleration.

If you are not using it for to much maybe even lighten the track by opening up some windows.

Get a wave rotor for the brake (Reduced inertia)

I am jealous!!! I wish I had the cash to make a lake racer. (But I would find a 99 t-cat for that!! )
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=876872
[/quote]


Its a father and son project. We love the sled... its been a great sled and has been a wicked one at that. We have the cabin on the lake, its just a perfect situation. We would go for the big iron, but the fact of the matter is the money. We want to keep the old girl around and still have it to take out on a winter day. It has only been beaten once I have to say. Yami pogo stick Vmax.... wow, I dont know what this guy did but wow. Its a long story that im sure if dad wanted to could come on here and my me look like a total dumb ass... we didnt get the pass on the lake, but I ran him down in the Thunder Lake Marsh and passed him on a jump with the 6er. Wow... the days.

Thanks for the help. A little slow at first but im glad you are taking interest. :fluffy:
 

·
Vendor
Joined
·
1,401 Posts
F8 with our pipe mod for a quiet sneaky fast sled, or twins for louder fun.
The camoplast .5" lug speed track with picks are always fun. You are close enought to me that we could do a dyno tune for you too to dial it in.
We can get you into the low 170hp range on premium pump gas, F8.
A ported and piped F7 rocks the ice pretty good too of course. Just depends on how fast you want to go. Our BMP F9 909cc will yank you darn hard too.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I tell ya what if I did anything it would be with you. I have seen great things come from a "semi-local" shop such as yours. Thanks and if I do anything youll have my check.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,003 Posts
Originally posted by fastzilla@Sep 14 2005, 04:25 PM
I, would suggest a 1inch track 153 or more of 1.175 studs  a little more gear for up top (the F7 can take it ) lower the suspension a little (better areo) Bikeman quiet performer package with the correct bolt ons and a dyno tune  that package should do you fine ...Until a real lake racer gets ahold of you like a F8/9  keeping in mind my 03 standard with 1inch and 153 1.175 megabites did 118 on a long run and that was stock with a ods clutch system ... I have some standard stuff if you want to lower it a little  PM  me
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=874972
[/quote]


Like I said !!
and lowering has nothing to do with the hood
and if you really want to do it you can just cut down the track you have instead of buying a new one
on a budget the quiet performer with a dyno tune seems to be the best bang for the $$$ tune it for race fuel / Just mix some xylene or toluine with some 91 and whala 95+ octane and you can get that shit at any automotive paint supply store
call eric /bike man
 
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Top