Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an F7 and am heading out west. Who can help figure out the right gearing-chain combination that will fit?
I would like to run a 20-44 or 19-44 gears. The stock 74-pitch chain will not fit, it is too short. I tried 20-41 gears with the stock chain, this caused the chain to be excessivly loose. I also experimented with 19-41 gears and a 70-pitch chain. This was the closest thing to fit, but the chain was not long enough to fit.
What chain or gear ratio will actually fit this sled with the chains I have?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Chain and gears for 5000ft and up........chain70p part#1602-041.. top gear 20t part#0602-465.. bottom gear 39t part#1602-087.. good luck.....ride hard in say right......

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
Originally posted by CAT MASTER@Feb 19 2003, 06:38 PM
Chain and gears for 5000ft and up........chain70p part#1602-041.. top gear 20t part#0602-465.. bottom gear 39t part#1602-087.. good luck.....ride hard in say right......
CAT MASTER,

I have been trying to get this question about gearing for altitude answered by many people, but no-one seems to know so I wan't to run it past you....

Arctic Cat suggests changing the gear/chain set-up(03 F7) from the stock 22/41-72P chain(.536 ratio) to a 20/39-70P chain(.512 ratio) for 5000+ ft. When I figure out the gear ratio difference(unless I am doing my calculations in-correctly) between the 2 gear combinations, the end result seems to be very
minimal ($140.00 later). Dropping 2 teeth off BOTH the upper and lower seems very questionable. Normally when gearing for elevation with previos Cat(s), it is recommended/suggested to add a tooth or two to the lower sprocket and take away a tooth or two on the upper sprocket.... Thanks a bunch!
-John

·
Registered
200 Posts
You'll find that 20/39 gearing is still way too high unless you're just riding on groomed trails at high altitude. If you get off the trails and work the sled very hard, then you'll have excessive clutch and belt heat. I prefer 19/43. Another benefit is that you don't have to buy a new chain. The 72 pitch that comes with the stock low altitude 22/41 gearing also fits with the 19/43.

Remember, these sleds have ten tooth drivers. You're already 10% higher geared (overall ratio) compared to sled with nine tooth drivers.

As for clutching for altitude, you can pretty much follow Cat's advice for the primary clutch weights, but I like the green SnoPro secondary spring and a 55* helix better than what comes in the sled.

I ride mostly between 6-8 k, and also several times a season at 9k+. 60 gram primary weights work well up to about 8k. Above that, you're better off with 56.5s.

The stock yel/wht primary spring is ok to leave in.

·
Registered
47 Posts
8,000+ setup for F7 SnoPro with V-Force 3 & 4 D&D Bullseyes

Primary:
Polaris 10-58 weights with Arctic Cat orange/white spring

Secondary:
Stock helix 53-51 with stock red/white spring in middle hole

Gearing:
19 - 40 with 70 pitch/15 wide chain

Pulls instantly to 7,700 rpm and stays there until you let off throttle.
Power and speed was instant to sling shot me up the hillclimbs faster than any longtrack sled.
Tested and tuned this setup in Grand Lake, CO & Laramie, WY.
Hillclimbs like a Son-of-a-*itch. Drag races awsome to 500' in the meadows.
No longtrack sled could touch me hillclimbing or draging with this setup.
Top speed is around 80-85mph which is plenty for any mountain riding.
Still on original belt!
You won't be dissapointed with this setup!!!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts