Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The new Firecat F7 vehicles have a switch to allow you to increase your fuel mixture to allow for the various fuels that are currently being marketed. The switch has a positon for "Ethanol" and the other position is marked "Regular".

The Ethanol position is slightly richer and will allow you to operate your vehicle with the fuel that has Ethanol to reduce emissions.

All snowmobilers need to be aware that most fuel that is produced today has ethanol in the fuel. Very few stations offer a fuel that has no ethanol at all. If the station is offering a fuel without ethanol the pump should be marked as such. These will be stations like an Amoco, or now known as BP, with the Ultimate fuel in the "Gold" pump in the non- metro areas. These pumps are to be marked with a notification that will indicate the fuel is to be used for Off Road vehicles, boats, or antique vehicles of some sort.

When you keep the above in mind, it becomes apparant that most of the time you will have ethanol in your fuel. Thinking of this, you should be operating your vehicle with the switch in the ethanol position, unless you are confident the fuel you are using has no ethanol at all.

CAME FROM BLACK MAGIC EMAIL

·
Registered
4 Posts
no ethanol used here in the east or eastern Canada. I use cheap 87 octane gas and have run the switch in the 'regular' position for all of my 2500 miles.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Last weekend while sledding in Copper Harbor, sled quit and would not start. Checked plugs, they were wet, later found out I had a bad smart valve. Dealership in Calumet, who looked at sled, indicated that I should not be running in ethanol mode in Michigan since there is no ethanol in the gas.

After switching back to regular mode, myself along with the other 3 FIRECATS' in our group ran even better. If going to another area from where you live I would strongly urge everyone to check with a dealer in the area you are planning to ride; to make sure your in the right mode.

BIGCATF7

·
Registered
580 Posts
While sledding in Michigan this week I switched from ethanol mode to regular and experience no problems. Mileage was even better in reg mode.

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
Just for everyones Info, the ethanol switch is programed to do one thing run a 3% richer fuel mixture. Which when you add ethanol to thin out your gas for winter mix . = better cold starting . It causes a lean condition, This is why you would switch to the ethanol position. As for ethanol in michigan not anymore , I'm not saying its not possible but I havent seen it on any pumps I've repaired. Also I've have read that some people are riding in that position during breakin or first tank as to not lean it out. Which I could see helping ,but in only a very fewl situations.

Dave

·
Registered
340 Posts
Quote from the owner's manual "In many areas, oxygenates (either ethanol or MBTE) are added to the gasoline. Oxygenated gasolines containing up to 10% ethanol or up to 15% MBTE are acceptable gasolines; however if oxygenated gasoline is used, the fuel designation switch on the console must be in the up (Ethanol) position" . In New Hampshire I believe we are mandated (by the federal government) to have MBTE in our gasoline. Our state officials have tried to get the feds to ban MBTE because it has been found to be a pollutant in ground water. If I understand this correct you should check your area to see what is in the gas. Rob, does Vermont have MBTE in their gas?

·
Registered
290 Posts
All the pumps in NH I've been to so far say "with MTBE" but I still run in the "Regular" position.

I use 87 and a little iso, sled runs great and starts on the second pull every morning (1/2 a pull when warm).

I'm leaving it in the "Regular" position....if it blows it blows, I don't give a crap. I really think this switch thing is a bunch of bs. But if you want to play it safe run in ethanol.

I lot on the people I know that use to have old AC efi sleds never even knew about changing the wires under the hood to run in a diiferent fuel mode and none of them ever blew up....well at least not because of fuel settings.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Originally posted by Catman16@Jan 18 2003, 09:42 AM
Quote from the owner's manual "In many areas, oxygenates (either ethanol or MBTE) are added to the gasoline. Oxygenated gasolines containing up to 10% ethanol or up to 15% MBTE are acceptable gasolines; however if oxygenated gasoline is used, the fuel designation switch on the console must be in the up (Ethanol) position" . In New Hampshire I believe we are mandated (by the federal government) to have MBTE in our gasoline. Our state officials have tried to get the feds to ban MBTE because it has been found to be a pollutant in ground water. If I understand this correct you should check your area to see what is in the gas. Rob, does Vermont have MBTE in their gas?
I don't believe Vermont uses MBTE at all, (maybe in Chittiden county?), but even in NH it is only used in premium in the southern part of the state. Another reason to always use regular gas.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts