Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got the bad news. The Mag side on my F7 burned down. Need new cylindar and two pistions. I had 200 miles on it. I have seen alot of postings regarding poor top end, headlight/tach failures and the sled stalling or 70 mph. This is exactly what my sled was doing. Get your sled checked if you are having these types of problems. On a final note. I have a trip planned for the UP 2/15-2/20. Because of the back order my dealer indicated I probably won't have my sled back in time. Has anyone talked with Cat about giving us some sort of compensation for this. Apparently alot of F7's have gone down and this is what is causing the backorder.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Hey everyone. Sorry for posting this here. I meant to post it in the problem forum. There is one thing that I would like to say about my F7. Up until it went down I loved it. The funny thing is, a friend and I were riding a couple of weeks ago on Lake Gogebic. He just bought a new prox 700. He thought that he would be close. Not even! I pulled away so fast that he gave up. Obviously he claimed that he didn't hook up. So when I asked if he wanted to do it again, he declined. When I told him today about my sled he laughed and told me to buy a poo next time. My response was imagine how bad I will dust him when I have two good cylindars. End of Conversation.

·
Registered
318 Posts
So let me get this right. You would rather have a wicked fast sled for two hundred miles vs. a quick\reliable one for the season? At least he'll be riding on vacation. Don't get me wrong I like both sleds your talking about, but praising any sled that has blown up in under 200 miles, I dunno what this world is coming to.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Your point is well taken. I wrote this to basically make myself and others who are experiencing the same problems feel a little better.

·
Registered
318 Posts
OK, I understand. I hope you get parts before your trip. Have your buddy with the pro-x get his CDI done and jet that thing down, also check for full shift out on the clutches.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I will do that. He has enough miles on it now to start tinkering. By the way called arctic cat this morning and they are going to do a hot order to get me the cylinder quickly so it should be ready b4 the trip.

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
Mark I know about all the problems you are having. Mine burnt on satereday won't be fixed untill next wed untill the cylinder gets here. have your dealer give you a sled to ride I am going up north tommaro and he gave me a polaris xcsp 600 to ride on my trip it's not what I wanted to ride but at least he's trying. So tell your dealer to give you somthing to ride. Just my thoughts and good luck

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Mark
Interesting. My mag side burned down as well. Just took it into the dealer today. I have asked 3 different dealers if they've seen many piston failures so far and they said it wasn't common. I had 1300 miles on with all the updates done and was just cruising at 70 mph when it shut down and coasted to a stop. When I tried to start it it was seized. I let it sit and cool for a minute then turned it over using the clutch. I checked the plugs and instantly knew the failure was related to a lean condition (not cooling). Flipped the fuel switch to the ETHANOL position and was able to start it and run it back to camp 125 miles away! Talk about lucky. Anyway I was wondering if yours failed under similar conditions. I'm concerned that the dealer may replace the parts but not determine the actual cause of the lean condition. :unsure: Jeff

·
Registered
4 Posts
Originally posted by catman@Feb 8 2003, 02:49 PM
Mark
     Interesting. My mag side burned down as well. Just took it into the dealer today. I have asked 3 different dealers if they've seen many piston failures so far and they said it wasn't common. I had 1300 miles on with all the updates done and was just cruising at 70 mph when it shut down and coasted to a stop. When I tried to start it it was seized. I let it sit and cool for a minute then turned it over using the clutch. I checked the plugs and instantly knew the failure was related to a lean condition (not cooling). Flipped the fuel switch to the ETHANOL position and was able to start it and run it back to camp 125 miles away! Talk about lucky. Anyway I was wondering if yours failed under similar conditions. I'm concerned that the dealer may replace the parts but not determine the actual cause of the lean condition.   :unsure:       Jeff
It is NOT a lean fuel problem. Current thinking is that seizures like yours are temp and oil related. A few F7s have the front cooler obstructed, your dealer can run a test for that. And some oil pumps are too lean even with the alignment marks correctly set. Check your oil usage and ratio. Should be about 65:1. Some trouble F7s are said to be running as lean as 120:1 fuel:eek:il ratio.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Hey guys, Dealer said CAT just released a NEW update to shorten the oil pump arm, as it is causing a lean condition as well. They are adjusting them, and cat is sending a $100 cat cash cert & a Gal of oil Certificate (FORE REAL! - I SAW THE BULLETIN) and they will get them in the mail. I guess this is for the INCONVENIENCE THAT IT CAUSES. Now, CAT, what about the inconvenience of my engine :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Cool, It DOES PAY to be a TEST PILOT :blink:

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Sorry for the delay in my response. Rob, your right. They did the flow test on the front cooler and it was obstructed. By the way, found out that AC got a new shipment of cylinders on Tuesday 2/11. They should have me up and running for the Trip in the UP. If anyone needs an AC phone number that goes closer to the top rather than talking to someone low on the ladder, I have one. Apparently AC changed one of the phone numbers because of the number of calls.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
By the way catman. Mine never did totally seize. It stalled out just like yours did. I was at 70 mph when it died. I let it sit for about 30 seconds and pulled it over. Started right up. Once we got back to our cabin, we trailered the sleds so I didn't even pull the spark plugs to check for metal. First I heard of the burn down was from my dealer. Compression 147 pto 123 mag.

R

·
0 Posts
rusty o. are we the only people down here in WINDSOR ONT burning bearings out of the chain cases? or why else would the bearings be on back order.2825 m waiting to ride!

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Hey mark, what did they do about the front cooler? Is it not an integrated part of the chassis that can not be removed?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts