Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New F7 EFI owner (first Cat). Had the new rig out this a couple times just screwing around and put about 60 miles on it. Nice sled-really rips. I do have one question though. It seems like I get an occasional bog out of the engine (even after it is warmed up). It almost seems like a lean bog. All updates were done to it and when I asked the dealer he said its probably a question of getting the engine broke in and to give it a couple hundred miles. Does this sound like what people have been experiencing, or is there anything I could check out? Any help is appreciated.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The dealer said all updates were done before I picked it up. There was a bog on the low end when I first got going (I let it warm up quite a while) and it was when I was going up a hill in wet snow (this one I attribute to just being a little cold still-don't think it was a major issue). The other was at trail speeds when the throttle was in one spot for a bit, then if you hit it it would bog for a second. The throttle position was probably 1/4ish before being hit.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have this same problem and I have over 600 miles on mine. Last week it caused me to nose dive over a double and end up in the emergency room. When I hit the jump I gave it gas to leave correctly and there was no response causeing me to come up short and flip the sled end over end, lots of fun!!!

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, I might have found something that caused the bog, but not sure. I was going through the machine checking everything out and noticed the power valves were way out of spec. The manaul says 1.42-1.5 inches on the cable and mine was about 1.32. Would this cause a bog on low end?

·
Registered
575 Posts
Any powder riding? if you get the air force induction thing clogged with snow that would do it ^_^

·
Registered
313 Posts
I'm surprised that no one else has had this problem. Your throttle cable has too much play. Pull your hood up, open the throttle all the way and hold it, now reach down and pull the lever to open the efi, I bet your not at full throttle. Adjust your cable and problem solved. My sled did the same thing, I can't remember who told me, but it solved the problem. Have fun.

·
Premium Member
2014 XF800 137
4,046 Posts
Also take a thick shim out of your secondary, belt deflection is very criticle.

·
Premium Member
2,693 Posts
spike, I think Red Devil is correct. If you can't do it with the cable, disconnect the switch in the throttle lever. There is a plug behind the servo motor. The wires are light purple and black. Look for the same color purple as the one in the throttle block. There are two. I did the same thing Willy did except I didn't crash. That fixes it once and for all, but you won't have protection against throttle body freeze ups. Never happened to me and I was riding at -35F.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Looney, Great info. I am going to dig into it tonight and I'll post what I find. I definitely appreciate the help by all who posted!

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well, my 20 month old son and I dug into the sled last night and heres what I found so far. The power valve adjustment was out of spec (too short) which according to the performance manual can cause hesitiation. Also, the throttle cable was not adjusted correctly just as Red Devil said, so I adjusted that (it was short of opening by about 1/8"). We are supposed to get a little snow in Minneapolis so I may try rip around the yard to see how it is, but I think it is on the right track. My question now is, since I adjusted the throttle cable to pick up the slack, will that throw the oil pump adjustment out of whack (it would seem so)? Next step will be check the deflection.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I was also thinking about that, but it sounds like you need some equipment to test them out. Is there a quick method of testing them? Otherwise, I'll just have to wait and see if it does it again.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts