Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
have a 2004 f5 and have a clutch kit, timing key, race can, reeds, and spacers. what else could i do to get more power and speed out of it besides selling it and polishing and porting it and boring it out or using NOS. my dad says he wont do any of that because its to costly or dangerous. so if anyone could help me out it would be a big help. thanks

·
Registered
12,093 Posts
On something of that size, any preformance gains you'll get will be minimal at best and costly. Just the way it is. Just be glad you have a sled that nice, I can name about 60 people, some of whom are triple your age or greater, who would love to have a sled that nice.

·
Registered
890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
well i cant stand leaving it how it is, i love being the fastest around. and my neighbor just bought an F6. its pretty nice and i wanna be able to beat him this winter. so i was really hoping i could get some ideas for more speed and power

·
Registered
890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
well anything else i can buy that will make it a little closer race? like faster off the line, or mid range or top speed? anything at all

·
Banned
1,883 Posts
By the time your done spending "trying" to make it faster you could have sold that f5 and upgraded to a used f6. Give up your not going to get it much quicker/faster. Just get the clutching and jetting dialed in and thats one of the best gains for the dollar. Ditch the can if you really want go fast.

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
I could have sworn that I responded to an earlier post from you asking the same thing. So, I will say again.

#1. Dump the "race can", you are losing horsepower.
#2. Reeds and spacers will give you better throttle response, but no measureable gain in HP.
#3. You done good with the timing key, as long as you run 93 octane gas, or POOF.
#4. Put 102 or more studs down the center belt for traction, no good having more power and not being able to put it to good use.
#5. May want to gear up one tooth on the top after clutching it.... just a thought, that will lessen track spin off the line, and give you 1 or 2mph on top.
#6. Find out what elevation and temperature you will be riding in (coldest temps, highest elevation), and jet for that. Its usually one or two sizes smaller than what is in the sled now... that will help with top end too.
#7. Do a search on here for "Fuel and Air Screw" and you will come up with some other good info on the jetting part.

Once you do all this, then you should be just as fast as an F6 off the line, but he will still get you on the top end.

SteveCZ

edit - took out clutch kit, because you said you already have an ODS one.

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
Originally posted by my cat eats dogs@Aug 30 2005, 08:48 PM
By the time your done spending "trying" to make it faster you could have sold that f5 and upgraded to a used f6. Give up your not going to get it much quicker/faster. Just get the clutching and jetting dialed in and thats one of the best gains for the dollar. Ditch the can if you really want go fast.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=854198
[/quote]

What he said for the 40th time! :cn:

·
Registered
6,976 Posts
You can clutch it, gear it, port it, shave the head, put on twin pipes, put in a key, and still get WASTED by a box stock F6. F6's are fast.....wayyyyyy more torque than a F5.

If you spend more than $500 on performance parts on a F5......especially at your age I think you are wasting your money. The only acception to that would be porting....and that is questionable???

1 - 11 of 11 Posts