Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought I saw some posts about checking your carbs cables regarding the flatslide opening fully. The people said thay had to adjust the throttle cable a bit to ensure the slide was moving fully. WhenI checked my F5 today the slide was sitting down in the throttle body nearly 3/16 of an inch or more. What should I do?

·
Registered
3,719 Posts
Hows your oil consumption been ? whats your ratio?I think you could adjust that out.Mine was not quite that far from opening and i was able to adjust it open,and it corrected the oil to fuel ratio as a result :)

·
Registered
35 Posts
Should the flat side be open all the way so it is flush with the top??? And if so would the improve my top end and oil consumption also??? I haven't had a chance to do mine yet RedF5 Might try this morning!! :D :ph34r:

·
Registered
3,719 Posts
Yes they should open fully to allow the most airflow,I dont know about any topend gains,the conditions have been changing alot and somedays its faster than others.The reason I adjusted mine was the oil pump wasnt opening all the way to the WOT mark on the pump when the flipper was to the bar. I was about an 1/8" short of the top mark on the oil pump. I also noticed that I was bottoming on the stop at the carbs on the throttle lever shaft .I pulled the hood and airbox and saw that the throttle slides were also short of WOT,they stuck down about an 1/8" also.I loosened up the screw on the throttle stop at the carbs and adjusted the throttle cable for WOT,now the pump goes to WOT and the slides open fully.On my ride last Sunday I got 60-1 and didn't see the light until 150 miles and it took about a quart.I burned 15 gallons of gas. :D I can live with that

·
Registered
6,125 Posts
Exactly what red f5 said-Both my f5s same thing-Now both at 60-1 ratio and running good-Its nice not seeing that damn red light until around 140-170 compared to 80 when i first picked them up-I knew i had plenty of oil but you couldnt help yourself from staring at that light-Scott

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hey thanks Red F5, if it wasn't for you here on this message board a lot of us would be totally lost. I adjusted the throttle cable so the slide is just flush with the throttle body, but for got to check how the oil pump lined up with the throttle at WOT. The slide never bottomed out on the stops, there is still a little bit of adjustment left, but I stopped adjusting it when the slide became flush with the throttle body. Doing this is not going to jepardize any factory settings according to fuel mapping or something like that is it? What does the Cat manual say for correct settings of the throttle slides? Just don't want to burn down some day because of this. All the help is awesome. Thanx!!

·
Registered
696 Posts
Here's my oil consumption:

From factory = 25:1 : :blink:
After Dealer Pump Adjustment = 30:1 :huh:
After Throttle Cable Adjustment = 59:1 :D

Very cold conditions last weekend in Bottineau, sled ran GREAT! Didn't need the quart of oil I packed in my buddies sled. (no room in my trunk :rolleyes: )
Thanks again everyone for finding the fix! This site is the BEST!!

*Of all the F5's brought to the dealers with this problem, am I the only one amazed this wasn't found earlier? Also my apologies to CAT for bitching about faulty oil pumps. This is DEFINATELY a setup issue. I guess I look like a horse's ass...oh well. Not the first time, not the last! :lol:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts