Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I just took my sled in again and I was wondering if anyone else has had that many problems with the F5. I will start at the beginning and go to today. The first day I brought the sled home we got some snow. I took it out and thought I would try it out. I would hit the gas, it would go for a second and then start to only run on one cylinder. That started things off pretty well, so I brought the sled back to the dealer. I found out that the fuel line was being pinched off and one cylinder wasnt getting any fuel. So that was fixed and we didnt have any snow for a couple weeks. The next time I went out the sled ran ok for a while. After about 20 miles the sled started to loose power big time, so I shut it off. When I did this the sled caught on fire. My brother and I hurried to throw snow on it to put it out. Not quite sure what caused this, and it didnt do it again. I figured it would be a good time to take the sled back for the updates. So all the updates were completed and I brought it home. They said they couldnt figure out why it caught on fire. I got a couple days of riding in, and the sled went pretty good. I stopped in a field to take a break, went to start the sled and the wind up for the cord broke. Had to be towed back, but luckily it wasnt very far from home. I took it back for that to be fixed. I brought it home again, rode that night, things went well. I took the sled back out in the morning and the thing lost power and would only hit 7000 rpms. I took it back to find out that the Power Valve wasnt opening, the cables were connected and all that. The servo was burnt out. By this time I was pretty upset and was about sick of the sled. Things went well for about two weeks, then while riding in some rough stuff, the rear suspension collapsed. I decided to fix that myself, the rear bolts had sheared off. It was another two weeks since that had happened and it was going ok. It didnt seem to go as good as it did earlier, but it wasnt too far down on power so I didnt care at this point. So today we were riding in the field and my brother got on. He came around a corner hit the gas and went to let off, but the throttle had stuck wide open, it was comming to a big bank in the field so he baled off the back. Luckily I just put a teather cord on the sled so when he came off, the sled shut down. He took a pretty good spill, but he is ok. So anyway, we couldnt get the sled started again, it was completely loaded with fuel. The throttle was suck to the bar. So we movd it back to the regular position. Took it to the dealer, and he was very suprised to see that the way it happend, the throttle override didnt work. It was just like if you were holding on to the gas. He went to see if the carbs were open or closed and the carbs are completely bound in the wide open position. I dont know what caused it yet, and really dont care. Arctic cat will be hearing from me for sure, and somthing will have to be done. Even the dealer says this is unacceptable. If it wasnt for the theather cord, the sled would have gone into the road and across into the trees. My brother is lucky he wasnt seriously hurt. All this has happend and my sled dosnt even have 600 miles on it yet. What does everyone think about that. Let me know if you have had any similar problems.

·
Registered
3,719 Posts
2600 miles and nothing like what you've experienced, :eek: :unsure:

·
Registered
2,913 Posts
sounds like you should find another dealer...................when messin with the fuel lines in the beginning they may have caused the fuel leak wich caused the fire...........at that point i would have had them go over the entire sled, and i mean every , nut,bolt and ziptie .
the f-5's have been pretty much bullett proof except for the pv cables falling off and the few updates that came out for it . ive logged 2500+ miles and i have had a few things go wrong but nothing major .
ive had the front arm in the rear suspension replaced ( one of the curvey wire things let go)
the seat cover ripped on the front
chaincase bearings
and the emergency kill switch broke

·
Registered
35 Posts
Running a little rich 39 to 1 and replaced the cables to the servo today ( and I'll bet they freeze again until cat comes up with the fix ) My dealer doesn't have a clue but other than that this has been a great sled so far!!! 1246 miles in 5 weeks!! :D :) :) :ph34r: As far as I'm concerned it's a keeper!!!

·
Registered
102 Posts
1300 miles on my F5 and the only problem was a APV cable came one time. My dealer, Falls Action Sports took care of it right away. With a little dialing in it it was just a blast to drive. 6 inch Shapers on the skis made it rail in the corners, ride was great in anything, gas mileage was 14 to almost 16 once. I check my sleds over after every ride and never found so much as a loose nut. I got a late start riding because of snow conditions and was getting pretty nervous reading all the crap but I know my next sled will be a FIRECAT.

·
Registered
52 Posts
1400 miles on my F5 SnoPro (with this winter, should have a lot more!) Fixed the high oil consumption problem and servo-cable issue at 140 miles. Now all I do is fine tune the suspension for the riding conditions, ie. deep snow / groomed trails / ice, and just ride like I stole it. Best Cat I've owned yet.

Sorry to hear about your difficulties :( . I agree with F-5snopro, your dealer missed something? I'll bet that most of the Firecat owner complaints can be traced back to dealer preparation (or lack of it).

·
Registered
20 Posts
My next sled will also be a Firecat.I also had oil consumption taken care of after first ride.2000 miles now,and a few more to go.For now I just have to deal with the cable issue, and clean my valves, but the FUN with this sled makes up for it. Never had a sled I could run on such long days,(350 miles), and still be ready for more!

·
Registered
696 Posts
Which rear suspension bolts were sheared off? :eek: That sounds very, very, strange. Like most everyone else, every F5 I've seen has been bulletproof, including mine. Go get yourself a new F5 from CAT. It's a great sled Unfortunately, yours was put together at 4:45 on a Friday afternoon. ^_^ Your post really surprises me... it's definitely not the norm! Hope you get everything worked out. At least the dealer is on your side, you're already a HUGE step ahead of the game.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I just got back from the dealer, they still arnt sure what the deal was with the throttle sticking. Supposedly I will know this evening. I also spoke with arctic cat, but couldnt get any answers from them, they just said they would talk with the dealer. I am pretty much over all the problems that have happened with the sled. I just hope that I can settle this in a hurry. If they are going to do somthign with the sled, I would like to know. If not, I would at least like to get it fixed so that I can sell it and get a new one or somthing. But the longer they mess around with arctic cat, the longer my sled will be in the shop. There isnt very much riding left, and I would like to get started. 600 miles is a joke. Anyway, I will let everyone know what happened to the sled to make the throttle stick like that. Oh, and for the suspension bolts. It was the ones in the rear where it attached to the tunnel.

·
Registered
3,148 Posts
The bolts probably sheared because they had loosened up. If the bolts are not tight they will auger out the holes and maybe shear as they weaken from the wear. That is probably why weare always advised to check sled over periodicaly for loose bolts and nuts. A little loctite can help a bunch too!

·
Registered
193 Posts
I have an F5 SP with 700 miles and have only had problems with the power valve cables. Other than that this sled has been awsome!!

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I know the deal with the throttle sticking now. The dealer was pretty suprised to see what had happened. Some how the throttle was allowed to open past full. By doing this the carbs stuck open. They did not try to unstick them, pictures are being taken so that arctic cat can see this. Usually the throttle override sensor would shut the sled down, but on my sled, the sensor did not work. They did tests on the sensor and found that it is not working at all. So anyway, my sled is all torn apart, and will be sitting there until arctic cat can look at it. Looks like I wont be able to snowmobile for a while. But anyway, I consider myself lucky. My brother wasnt going fast when it happened and it was in an open field. Just think if he was going fast and was getting ready to stop and the thing stuck and wouldnt shut down. Or maybe even worse, in the middle of the trail in the woods. I would think the least they could do is take the sled back.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Kept up with the updates and after 1400 miles no trail problems. One of the best handling sleds I've ever had. I would buy again!!! Good luck.

·
Registered
7 Posts
comp178z I hope the black cloud that is following you is full of snow, that way you can ride when kitty is better. I vote that you have a lemon and AC should replace it and give you a leather suit for your troubles . Let us know if they fix or replace it. I vote new.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I think that the dealer should get you a sled to ride until things are made right! The dealer and Arctic Cat can take all the time they need to figure out where the fault lies.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I would like to thank everyone for their replys. They were all supportive, and I will let everyone know how things work out.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts