Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well..the last few weeks have been frustrating for my powervalves have been sticking and the rocket i bought was only topping out at 75-80mph :( Finally yesterday it was 50-60 degrees outside so as soon as i wipped accross my lake ..a holy 91 showed up on the tach...stopped ..shut down the sled..started it up and watched the servo do a nice clean start and close..usually it does the 2 or 3 cycles trying to open but never does...which i'm sure is due to the tons of oil i'm using because i havent turned the oil pump down yet..but now that the valves were opening up yesterday and the conditions were as perfect as can be...why doesnt my rocket top out at 100 ???? I've heard too many people using stock sleds no gear changes hitting the 105 mark and wondering why mine hasnt yet..And yes i had the speedo on the digital to see just how accurate it was...Just felt like venting out some frustrations here..usually it helps to calm the nerves a tad :D Well..seeing its going to be 50 and rain all weekend here in NH i figured i'd see what some of you thought !!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Oh ya..And i heard re jetting to a 350 or 360 main helps out..anyone running those..and did they turn there pumps down also or did just rejetting help ?? guess its trial and error.. but i would think after running 80 miles and going thru almost all of my oil..about 1/2 a quart left..that its deff the oil pump !! Well..just thought i'd add in that extra crap for ya :D

·
Registered
6,125 Posts
YES-get your oil pump adjusted-shoot for 60-1 to 70-1 on average-one of my f5s came from dealer at 25-1 now both at 60-1 and oil light starts blinking on average about 150 miles-I am also running 360s main jets on trail riding with good results-12-13 mpg good down to -15 below-pulled plugs after last trip,nice dark brown in color,360s good all around jet here in wisconsin-i dont do alot of wide open lake runs- i hope you werent expecting much running 380s mains in 60 degree weather???Trust me if your getting 100mph or near that you should be happy-these speedos are dead on not like the old cats off 5-10 mph-also pull your secondary clutch-if theres 4 shims in there pull out a thin one or thick one-try to get belt deflection around 1 1/8-1 1/4 with belt running about 1/16 above secondary clutch housing-scott-and yes pay attention to those damn apv cables until you get the new sealed ones-my new cables are at the dealer will be installed next week-scott-one more thing,sno pro track will be slower on top end compared to standard track

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well. ..Bee..thanks for your input..yeah i know i'm not going to get anything with these 180's in there ..i have been just too busy too get it into my shop for the change..i was just really interested into what everyones got out there for set ups..but yeah..as far as belt deflection goes..i noticed mines pretty much almost flush with the top of the clutch and i heard its good to have at least 1/8" of the belt showing above it so is that the cure for that..to remove a shim from it ?? I'm not too sure on the way to do it so i'll prolly have to have the shop make that change but whats it do ?? is it just for bottom end or gas milage ? or overall perfomance ? Thanks again for the info :D

·
Registered
6,125 Posts
Proper belt deflection effects all around performance-if your clutch slips on your car how does it perform?You dont want your belt slipping inside your clutches so proper belt deflection is important on how the sled performs-remember every belt is a little different-width and length etc but try to get a proper reading when the belt is new and as the belt wears go from there-try to shoot for an average when the belt is new-i removed a thin shim from both f5s(sleds came with four shims-two thick and two thin)some guys are removing a thick-just play and have fun-scott

·
Registered
137 Posts
We tried almost everything with my F5, speed coming in at 80ish.
Dealers tech finally took it out. Brought it back in and pulled off the primary.
Turns out the primary was hanging up (sticking) on the shaft. He needed to sand it down and now it moves freely. He called Cat and told them. I guess they weren't suprised. My belt has glazed over because of it.
I'm going to try to get Cat to warranty the belt because of their primary.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts