Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I was all set on buying a new F5 next year but now my dad is saying that he is going to sell his 1999 zrt800 that is all stock. Its got 3800 miles on it, which have all been easy and he had it serviced this year and it was perfect. If I do buy it I'm probally going to clutch it and put a set of pipes on it. WHat do you guys think I should do get the 2004 F5 or 1999 zrt 800.

·
Registered
125 Posts
f5 no contest on the trails ud be bale to smoke that zrt800 and prolly tkae it in a drag till about 40-45 if you like to ride hard then go with the f5 i know ill never go back to the zr chassi :lol:

·
Premium Member
1,464 Posts
It depends what you are looking for. Do you want a heavy lake racer (kind of) or a nimble trail demon? F5 will blow away the ZRT on the trails.

If you buy dads in the spring, does it come with a two year warranty… :D

·
Premium Member
2,610 Posts
Go with the F5..the 1999 Zrt 800 is kind of sluggish in stock form.

·
Registered
960 Posts
bran new is better!!!!!! but are you using it for lakes?

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No I will be using it for the trails and I was still leaning towards the F5 but I can get a great deal on the zrt and know how its been run. I've had it for a few rides and just love the power and sound of the big triple. The only downsides are that it weighs ALOT, but on the trails its got enough power to make it seem light and i cant pull it over on cold days :wacko: . LOL

·
Registered
676 Posts
F5 all the way, the suspension alone is worth it. I had a 99zrt and after riding a Firecat the weight difference is very noticable. You will be able to ride longer and harder.

·
Registered
575 Posts
well i guess it depends if you want a jumper/light-weight dragger, a sled that has top speed of over 100, and also be able to throw it around on the trails and stay with, if not lead every other sled on the trails, or you could have a big triple for top end. Even though u know how the zrt has been treated, the f5 will be treated ONLY HOW YOU WANT IT TO BE. Over all i'd take a new f5.

·
Registered
855 Posts
800s are way heavy, i rode one for about 20miles on the trails, then jumped back on my f7 and the weight alone is very different, the midrange is very sluggish on the 800, the firecat is more like a dirt bike for trail riding, the 800 handled very well, just not as snappy !

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
mostly depends on what kind of riding you're doing. I'd choose the Firecat hands down, albeit in a larger engine package. Weight of the 800, man, that thing is a PIG. Don't get me wrong, good power and the such, but at the end of a day, you're going to feel the weight of the big triple triple MUCH more.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts