Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys/Gals,

Just posted a topic regarding top speeds of the firecat F5.

My buddy is having a problem with his. It's slow and eats a TON of oil!

This is what i'm looking for.

Does your F5 eat oil, and is it slow?
Does your F5 eat oil, and it runs hard?
Does your F5 barely use oil, and it runs fast?
Does your F5 barely use oil, and runs slow?

If I can get enough responses, it should tell me if it's solely the oil problem that is making the sled slow.

Thanks everyone! and Happy New Years! ^_^

·
Registered
530 Posts
lean out ur jets its plain and simple im not sure whats stokci am thinking 330s so lean it out maybe to a 320 or maybe 310 depending on how rich it is. also just beaware that once you really get to top speeds u will need that crutial extra oil so only rejet if neccesary.

·
Registered
6,976 Posts
Check with your dealer. If they know what's going on they will probably tell you to go a size or 2 down on main jets. They will probably also be able to turn your oil pump down a touch. Cat almost always sets it too high from the factory. Warranty!! If it only goes 70 something besides the jetting and oil needs to be changed. Check everything!!!!!
Cat S.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Mine seems to be using a bit too much oil but I'm gonna wait till it goes to the dealer for updates and let them deal with it. The damn oil pump is buried so deep under the carbs they can figure it out.

·
Registered
6,125 Posts
Yes mine used alot of oil also-1 1/2 quarts to 100 miles-my oil pump adjustment was way off!!!!!!!!!!!now using half that amount which is correct -i think the factory set them up pretty rich for break in-anyways these f5s come with 380 mains-nothing like the zr500s where you could get by running 320s-anyways im running 370s right now in 1000' elavation down to 5 degee temp-still a little rich on plug color and piston wash-im thinking 360s next for sure but really hasnt been cold enough to set up a safe zone-arctic cats have always jetted on the rich side on zr500s-my 2001 has 320s in it,runs awesome-but these firecats with air induction are running much higher jets-check your jet decal by servo motor for jetting-but the proper way is piston wash and spark plugs-have fun checking piston wash with angled cylinders-almost have to pull exhaust or valves to see pistons properly-scott

·
Registered
514 Posts
I am burning 1 quart of oil to about 80 miles of riding and half a tank of gas. I have yet to see 90 with it, topping out at 88 mph... seems like I am forever shoving on the throttle.

Had it in to the dealer, oil pump adjusted, and new sensor put in... didn't do a damn thing... ran it the day after I got it home and same old story... 40 miles the oil is down into the resevoir... 80 miles and the light is on and will take a quart of oil. Went through nearly a new jug of amsoil just this weekend. Craig's F7 is using a fraction of the amount I am.

Glad I am not the only one having this problem

·
Registered
256 Posts
About 80 miles to one quart with mine. I am taking it to the dealer to get it adjusted. I can tell that it is getting way too much oil.

·
Registered
171 Posts
mine won't go over 200 miles with out needing oil. i was rinding and i knew i have a bad oil light but i still watch it and it was out of sight in the tank at about 150-175 miles so i got some just to make sure i didn't ruin the motor. and i needed it.

·
Registered
514 Posts
well heard from my dealer today and he has a call into Cat about the oil usage and is just waiting to get some answers from them to pass along to me. As soon as we get this resolved I will let you guys know what we found out, so you can check out your oil chuggers too.

Not much riding to be done right now anyway... all that rain put a beating on the trails. TRailered up Wed. for a ride, but trails were just glare ice so we didn't even unload, just came home.

·
Registered
119 Posts
dingoblu,

in your avatar pic right there... was that takin up towards tupper lake? i ask because i can see the railroad tracks and it looks familar to me. where do u do most of your riding?

·
Registered
111 Posts
Rode 400+ miles this past weekend, used about 30 gallons of gas and 1 1/2 gallons of oil. I changed the reeds and the jets to 360s. I couldn't believe how much oil it used. I'm taking it back to the dealer Saturday morning. I'm just glad to hear it's not just my sled.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Originally posted by GreenTeamArctic-5@Jan 2 2003, 04:08 PM
dingoblu,

in your avatar pic right there... was that takin up towards tupper lake? i ask because i can see the railroad tracks and it looks familar to me. where do u do most of your riding?
HI Matt,

Good eye... that was taken just before the bridge just outside of Tupper. We usually unload in Santa Clara and ride to Meacham Lake then over to C7 and Lake Clear then either to Tupper or Saranac depending on how bad the tracks are.

Learned one thing though... the ski stance is too wide to ride on the rails.. you will slide off and jam it as Craig found out. Took us nearly 15 minutess to get the sled off the bridge. Good thing the train doesn't run in the winter up there.

We are from Massena... where are you from?

·
Registered
6,125 Posts
I put on a 100 miles this saturday,had oil level right up to cap,just checked it and its barely going into the reservoir,very happy compared to last couple rides,theres no reason you shouldnt be able to get 300-400 miles out of a tank of oil,if im not mistaken rob said he was getting 400-500 miles on a tank of oil , correct me if im wrong?????check the oil pump settings yourself,it explains it pretty well in the 2003 performance manual-best 25$ i ever spent with all the info in there-scott

·
Registered
6,125 Posts
By the way,i also pulled my exhaust valves out today,everything looks perfect,cylinders,pistons,rings,hell i didnt even clean the valves,there was nothing to clean-still on the rich side as far as piston wash,360s are next-scott-by the way i run amsoil,at 12.50$ a gallon at snowmobile show this past fall how in the hell can i complain.

·
Registered
119 Posts
HI Matt,

Good eye... that was taken just before the bridge just outside of Tupper. We usually unload in Santa Clara and ride to Meacham Lake then over to C7 and Lake Clear then either to Tupper or Saranac depending on how bad the tracks are.

Learned one thing though... the ski stance is too wide to ride on the rails.. you will slide off and jam it as Craig found out. Took us nearly 15 minutess to get the sled off the bridge. Good thing the train doesn't run in the winter up there.

Rebecca,

i'm from lyon mountain. and i ride in the same area as you, most likely see you on the trail sometime... i'll keep an eye out for a red T/A f-5 and a green T/A f7. i havent been towards tupper lake so far to see how it is between the rails, just been as far as Charlies. we need more snow before goin back towards tupper.

·
Registered
119 Posts
HI Matt,

Rebecca,

i'm from lyon mountain. and i ride in the same area as you, most likely see you on the trail sometime... i'll keep an eye out for a red T/A f-5 and a green T/A f7. i havent been towards tupper lake so far to see how it is between the rails, just been as far as Charlies. we need more snow before goin back towards tupper.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts