Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had my f5 out all day today and I have no more power. I know my apv cables came off again but it should still have more bottom end. When i go in the powder my sled just boggs down because there is no power going to the track. When I first bought the sled it was a little rocket but know it is slow and i am starting to get discoraged.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I had the same problem with my f5. I took it to the dealer and he said it had piston blow by. He said the piston rings lost their seat. He put new rings in and cleaned the apvs and it runs great again. It was covered under warranty.

·
Registered
921 Posts
My F5 has seemed to slow too. I have been messing with my suspension set-up and adding more ski pressure so I attribute some of the slow down to that. Still, I had the speedo reding 105mph twice before and now I'm only getting 95mph. I am not aware of any problems with my APV Cables. Any comments?

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Hmmmm

Odd.... mine is the absolute OPPOSITE... must be my Polish heratige..... LOL

sled was a rocket up to 85 or 90, couldn't do any more, then last weekend of all weekends across a lake, in 35 - 40 degree weather with STOCK JETS it hit 100 - 103.... GO FIGURE!?!?!?!?!?!

Gonna throw the 360 jets in and half a crank on the fuel screw tomorrow AM before the ride.... I'll keep ya updated

SteveCZ

·
Registered
147 Posts
My F5 snopro first time out ran like a rape ape, second time out it blew black oil every where, third time out it was worse than the second, hum!
I brought it back to the dealer who called me yesterday and said that the cylinder nuts were loose and that was one area the oil was coming from, second the exhaust donut was the wrong one and the exhaust pipe to the cylinders were blowing oil also.
If the nuts to the cylinders were loose would that cause piston rocking in there? to be honest I did'nt see oil coming out from that area.
The engine has less than 100 miles on it, pistons last time I checked looked good as far as I could see.
I know that the APV oil is going bye,bye as soon as I pick up the sled - I am going to go with Torco SSO oil I have had very good luck with this oil.
The APV left a honey coated mess inside the engine - the Torco will start cleaning that as it drives.

·
Registered
921 Posts
talked to my dealer today and he said the f5's should be running around 105mph. I told him that mine did and now fights to hit 95mph. He asked me to bring it in so they could check my pistons. He said that they have found scored pistons and replaced them in just about all the F7's they sold.

·
Registered
921 Posts
Mine did on the speedo the first weekend out. I was on an ice covered road for about 1/2 to 3/4 mile.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
found my problem and my sled is running great now hit 103 on the speedo. I get it back from the shop tonight (it had a gas leak) so i hope to take it out tonight.

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
what was the prob a little gas leak or what courious

·
Registered
960 Posts
hey davey boy My speedo once read 111. HA! and before that I had it at a consistent 106 HA! :p :p

·
Registered
960 Posts
that sux haha :lol:

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I have to agree with davey boy. A f5 going 111mph ya right. My f5 just got back from the dealer and it is running the best and fastest it ever ran and i can only get my f5 up to 103mph and that was on a road that about 1mile long and the conditions were great. The average top end speed i get would be around 97-98mph.

·
Registered
907 Posts
I dont know a bout 111 but have seen 102 more than once geared down a tooth on top pullin 8420 on the big end of about 1500ft the 5's pull best around 8200

·
Registered
286 Posts
My F5 has religiously thrown both APV cables at about 400 mile (sled has 800 miles). I had a dramtic drop in power and could not get above 70 mph.
On the second visit to my dealer they placed the cables back on the servo's but I still had a problem of over revving (8800 rpm) and peaking at 80 mph. Needless to say, I took my sled back to the dealer and they scratched their heads saying that they had never seen a 500cc motor pull as hard as this one did.

They remedied the problem by:

1. replacing belt;
2. adding heavier primary clutch weights;
3. replacing secondary clutch spring with a softer one;
4. leaned the main jet.

After the service, they said it was the fastest 500 they had ever seen!!!!
It pulls hard and they got it back down to 8200 rpm. The sled holds great compression and they think it is just starting to break in.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts