Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I have a stock F5 with a little over 150 miles on it..... This past weekend I dragged my friend who had a 96 Polaris 600, slightly board, Mod clutch, triple pipe and studded. I had no problem keeping at his side (twice). Well he mentioned to me today it was time for a different sled seeing I have a 500 that can keep up with his Mod 600..... I don't know what sled he will be looking at but I know it will be a Polaris, new or used...... My question is, What can I do behind his back in modifications on my sled to get the most performance?..... This season I'm just looking to get a few more weekends in and this summer doing the modifications.

Thanks for any info, Jim.

Ps: Please don't tell me to get an F7 *LOL* :p

·
Registered
773 Posts
Thats easy, drop 3,800 at Speedwerx for a 730 or 780cc kit.You will own anything that you run into.

·
Premium Member
7,417 Posts
NOS

03403nos is the part number adjustable shot from 6 hp to 40 hp per cylinder. Cost about $500-$600

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
GF7PE, did you or do you know of someone using NOS? How easy is it to burn down using NOS? I like the idea of the Speedwerx 730 or 780cc kit but when I said money was no option $3,800 is a little steep.

·
Premium Member
7,417 Posts
havent used nos................yet............but maybe this summer doing asphault drags will be the test. Would like to but not worth the trial and error during the snow season. I think more needs to be done like swain coat or something

·
Registered
2,671 Posts
Hooper or D&D 700 around $2700 140+ horse. The thing about NOS is the clutching. Clutch for Nos,sled is a dog without it. Regular clutching when you hit the button you will have over rev and lose some performance. You have to find a place to mount the bottle and keep it warm to use too

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Originally posted by jimsgtx@Mar 3 2003, 09:41 PM
GF7PE, did you or do you know of someone using NOS? How easy is it to burn down using NOS? I like the idea of the Speedwerx 730 or 780cc kit but when I said money was no option $3,800 is a little steep.
lol

·
Registered
202 Posts
Well since it sounds like you have lots of money on hand..why dont you help me out too and drop a 730 motor into mine as well and we can both rule the snow... :p

·
Registered
2,913 Posts
big bore the cyls by pressing in steel sleeves for porting and boring, machine cyl head domes and flat top pistons !!!!

·
Registered
341 Posts
Yeah, i'd like to see a big bore for the F5 sometime in the future, nothing huge like the 700 top-end kits though, I'd like mine to go out to 600 with my existing cylinders. I have V-3's in mine now and 102 studs. I asked my dealer to order twin pipes, but D&D doesn't make them and he recieved a single pipe and can instead. I'm going to wait until I get my black magic heads to come in to install the pipe so I don't have to do any major changes in jetting.

S

·
0 Posts
I like the Idea of going out there with a 500 engine and kicking the crap out of 600's, with the stuff I've done to my sled I can to most 600's anyway.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Jim get in contact with jeff at Dakota Performance his phone is busy a lot so will have to try several times he will help you out. His phone no. is (701)452-4212 Good Luck

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thank's kingsnow, I'll give him a call as soon as my tax return comes in :D ....... kungfutu, Speedwerx sells the twin pipes......what size stud you using? I think not having studs on mine was the only reason my friends 600 took me on the start >>>>>>>>> But not for long <<<<<<<<<<< :p

Jim.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Jim I have the D and D 720 on mine it adds about 35-40 hp. Runs really strong. It uses the ac 900 power valves not the pressure activated ones some of the other kits do. With gearing it pulls D and D piped, timing keyed,clutched,bullseye aired f7 from bottom to top. Without gearing changes it pulls more on bottom but runs out of gear on the big end and the f7 will start to creap by.

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
jbscapitol, can you do me a favor and list parts and part numbers on what you used on your sled. (did you do the work yourself)?....I've been a small engine machanic for 20 years now but never got into sleds (only garden equipment) but I'm learning as I'm going along. Believe it of not this in my first year on a sled..... I bought a 86 Jag in October, put 200 miles on it and in December I treated myself to a new F5 and I love it!!! So yes, I'm new to the sport and wish I did it years ago...... When you have the time you can eather e-mail me or post what part numbers you can.

Thanks, Jim.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Jim I purchased the sled from D and D. It is there 720 kit which includes new cylinders, new power valves, new head with your choice of inserts, pistons I had mine coated, twin pipes. I also added 3 degree timing key, bored carbs with d and d q4 pilots, case porting, v3 reeds and 4 bullseyes. Not sure on the final gearing but d and d knows. Clutching is d and d and is pretty close. I think the kit is around $2700 the key is a few bucks. The rest of the stuff can be added later or not at all. I have run 720's with stock 38 carbs and they run good but sometimes have a lean spot in the middle. The bored q4 set up seems to be the most trail friendly. You could easily install this kit yourself. If you have anymore ?'s just ask.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts