Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Comparing the oil usage of my F5 to my husbands F7 it seems to be using quite alot of oil. We rode 48 miles and burned all the oil out of the neck of the resevoir.

It gets down just a little further and the oil light comes on, this is on about 3/4 of a tank of gas. It seems to be burning about double the oil of the F7. Is this normal for the different engines?

The dealer is ordering a new sending unit for it, just waiting for it to come in to bring the sled up.

·
Registered
2,913 Posts
mine will use less than a tank of oil to a tank of fuel, but i still have not done some actuall testing yet to see how far you can go . i dont think its as bad as you think it is .just fill the oil when you fill the tank. when my light came on i still think i had about a half of a tank of oil, but lik i said im not sure just yet. you can also check the oil pump alignment to see if its opening to much.

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
dingoblu,

I have the SAME EXACT PROBLEM!!! I wonder if our VINS are two or three apart!!! I find it hard to beleive that when I go through 1/4 of a tank of gas, I go through almost a third tank of oil.......

I know I know, Oil is cheaper than pistons, but....c'mon.... at 35 bones a gallon for APV oil...OUCH.....

Thank god for AMSOIL.....

I'm gonna let it break in, about 200 miles and then talk to my buddy the cat master tech and see what he thinks

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Right now I have 168 miles on it... will head up tonight for a ride.. that will put it over 200 easily.. will let you know how it does tonight.

·
Registered
6,125 Posts
My oil light came on at 80 miles-took a quart and a half of oil at 120 miles-yes this is a problem-my oil light doesnt fit in the recall as i checked my vin-anyways its using about twice as much as my zr500,oil that is-anyways your oil pump can be adjusted-mine will be adjusted when it goes back to the dealer for starter rope fix-the oil tank holds 2.8 quarts-you should get at least 400 miles out of that-oil light shouldnt be coming on until about 200-250 miles-scott-remember your oil usage is based on how fast your driving-but theres no damn reason your oil light should come on at 80 miles,i dont care how you drive it

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
We are heading out today, will see what happens. Rode last Sunday for about 50 miles... no light but used alot of oil, nearly all that was in the neck of the resevoir.

Will not the mileage today and amount of oil used as well, see if there is any change.

·
Registered
127 Posts
make sure your oil pump rod is connected Cat left out cotter pin on my f7 and the rod was off make sure your marks are lined up at idle and wide open.If rod is off it goes to a fail safe mode and drinks oil. Just a thought hope you figure it out.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Well..guess i'm not the only one who thought these F5's tore thru oil :eek:) I put my 1st 50 miles on yesterday and realized after 3/4 of a tank of gas had gone by..my oil was nearly all gone..i know the tank looks deceptive but once i filled it (took 1 quart) the silly oil light would flicker on and off as i booted it around 7000 to 7500 rpm..looked for a loose connection but didnt see anything out of the ordinary ??? Maybe my kitty doesnt like Amsoil :huh: But for $17 a gallon i'll stick with it :D Cant wait to get out for another ride..thing rips and rides like a caddy :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,210 Posts
I have the same problem with my F5. It burns soo much oil...it is burning way to much oil...

I have to fill it up after every ride..its a pain the @ss

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well sled went back in for an oil consumption test and found that the oil pump was faulty. Waiting now for another one to come in, so I can get my sled back. I'm hoping this cures the oil chugging problem.

You other guys with the same trouble, have your dealer run the consumption test... you may need the pump replaced as well

1 - 10 of 10 Posts