Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey i was wondering if you guys had any tips for making a kick ass f5, the only reasion im asking this is because i want to use it racing xc 600's, f6's, and f7s for like 660' ice racing.

S

·
0 Posts
Clutching is the first thing, raise engagment, steeper ramp on the helix, Some reccomend a softer belt (#627-010 I think), some recomend the bearcat roller driven clutch. I jet down one set ( for temp), drop the needles, and lean the pilots out a bit remember don't run it long when doing this to the carbs, might burn a piston. I'm also going to a slower gears I'm putting on a 18 top gear makes it snappy out of the hole as you'll never see max speed on a F5 on the 660'. as for the suspension max on rear springs, let off the fronts, loosen up the limiters should help.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Hey Snowblind,

Your ideas are good, but misled (not trying to be disrespectful). Take a peek at some of the previous years performance manuals to use a general guidline. You will find your suggestions are partially incorrect. The spec sheets in the 03' Performance manual from AC will get one started; however, they still need to be fine tuned.
lol

Former racer
long time listener
certified AC service tech

If you want some info please feel free to call
1-888-741-3276 ext. 309

S

·
0 Posts
Please correct me I'm going on the 660 again in three weeks, you just left us hanging here lol. I found that the performance manual does not give as much tips as past years for setups. it does rock with this setup maybe you can help get somemore?Please? Pretty please? lol you don't want to see a doo beet me do you?

·
Registered
960 Posts
put the 720 kit it says 145 horse on an f5 w/ the kit

·
Registered
960 Posts
wat 6's an 7's dont kno dont hurt em

·
Registered
6,976 Posts
Some reccomend a softer belt (#627-010 I think)[/b]
I know that the 010 isn't the softer belt. That belt is narrower than the 020. The 010 is for the 440 sno pros. I don't know the softer compound.

Cat S.

S

·
0 Posts
Originally posted by cmscat50@Feb 13 2003, 08:42 PM
Some reccomend a softer belt (#627-010 I think)
I know that the 010 isn't the softer belt. That belt is narrower than the 020. The 010 is for the 440 sno pros. I don't know the softer compound.

Cat S.[/b][/quote]
By george you were right 010 is 1 3/8" and 020 is 1 13/32" sorry about that. 627-021 is softer same size.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I raced the MSDRS ice drags last year for my first year, so I know a few of the basics. First thing you want to do is lower your suspension front and rear. Do this either by adding spacers to the shocks, or tying them down. We geared my '01 ZR500 for around 87 mph according to the performance manual. You definately will want to have ice picks if you are doing sanctioned ice drags, or you will have zero chance of winning. If you spin, you lose, its as simple as that. For jetting, you can really drop your mains. I think the F5 comes with 380 mains, you could easily get away with 340s as long as its above 15-20 degrees. There was an earlier post that said to drop the pilots, I was guided along last year by one of the top racers on the circuit, and this was opposite of what we did. For clutching, you will want to raise engagement as high as you can (without spinning off the line), and throw a lot of weight in the primary. In my 500, we got the best results with a 60/40 helix and a red/white secondary. Obviously you will need to do hours upon hours of testing, but this should get you started.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts