Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well i got about 400 miles on the new apv cables and things are looking good-I emailed f52003 about this and heres some info to ponder-Alot of us had poor oil usage from day one-some of us at 25-1 for who knows how many miles,and on top of that 100-1 in gas tank for engine breakin-Well all that extra oil has to go somewhere and why not the apv cables and exhaust doughnut-Sorry but spark plugs dont like burning all that extra oil-Now that i got new cables and my oil ratios(oil pump adjusted along with throttle cable)are 60-1 to 70-1 on average things are much better-Im not saying this is a permenant fix as gls has addressed the oil seal issue and cat is supposed to be working on something - But things are much better and i have not noticed any oil in cables as of yet-Riding is over-Mid 40s to mid 50s here in midwest-Heres some things i did before last ride this morning and yesterday

1-My dealer said cables where adjusted-wrong-where at 33mm-adjusted to 36mm on both cables
2-Pulled off my secondary again-removed one more thin shim-Have two thick ones in there and sled does not creep or move at idle-Belt at about 1/8 above secondary
3-Put secondary spring in hole #2-Brought rpms down to about 8340-8400 on average
4-Thing runs fricken awesome-Honestly never better-0-90 on trails in a heartattack
Had consistent 100 mph runs near big bay this morning on lake-102 and still climbing-Honestly feel 105 is possible with perfect conditions and this is being honest
Im running 360 mains-Very happy on the 600 killer-Scott frye

·
Registered
6,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
One more thing im running the standard 1" track on both sleds

·
Registered
960 Posts
had 106 its possible

·
Registered
907 Posts
Davy Boy, seen you on a few F-5 posts disputing top speed,Ive seen 3 stock ones run on 1/2 mile plowed ice strip run between 104&106 on RADAR.Im geared down and still able to pull 102. they are geared for it and will pull it on a good day. :)

·
Registered
6,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I thought these new digital speedos where within 1 mph on gps???I might say my old zr500s where off a bit-I would and could bury the speedo on my 2001 zr500apv anyday everyday-Speedo ended at 100mph-Do i believe that was off,sure it was cable driven-But i thought these new digital speedos where pretty damn accurate???Any one compare to gps or radar???Fill me in thanx scott frye-I need to buy a gps anyway,now i have an excuse.

·
Registered
986 Posts
Let me put in my tid bit on the 05 as far as top end Should hit 108 mph with a dialed in sled on good ice on gun .I have seen at local 1000 ft runs on good ice & cold out 0 degrees with tear down on gun 102.4 mph Thats a long way from a 1/2 mile

·
Registered
70 Posts
bee1971--- How do you like the firecat 500 compared the zr500. With one do you feel has more power and handles the best because those are my two choices of sleds for next year and I want to know how the F5 compares to the older 500. My brother had a 98 zl500 and that thing had great power and would show 100mph on a good day.

·
Registered
6,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
My 01 zr500apv always buried the 100 mph speedo-But those speedos where off as much as 7mph-These new firecat speedos are pretty much dead on-I will make it easy-Ive owned every zr500 since 1998 and still had my 01 the beginning of this year-When i couldnt pry my wifes ass and smile off the Red f5 that was intended for me i sold the zr and bought a black f5 in mid winter-The f5s rock in speed and suspension and sitting style-0-90 the f5 kicks ass,but the thing that sold me was the suspension and handling-Get the latest supertrax magazine about the 04s-They have high praise for the firekitties!!!!!Some of the bulletins in the beginning got old but once those where all figured out along with the oil useage and apv cables-Put it this way,alot of small issues that are now getting taken care of thanx to this board-Im sure you could get a 03-f5 dirt cheap right now and in a matter of hours have everything nailed down right from the beginning-Scott

·
Registered
153 Posts
Fastest i've seen on my speedo was 115..called my dealer gave him all the calculations and what not he said its about 4-5 miles off.. and he said that he did believe my machine was hitting those speeds..

·
Registered
248 Posts
Hey Bee,
I live about 50 miles south in Two Rivers. I have a standard F-5 with about 1400 U.P. miles. Interesting about the 360 mains. I just bought a Dakota clutch kit. New Dalton helix and custom ground arms. Got about 220 miles on it last week and were impressed with results. 350 rpm's higher engagement (smooth) and pulled better mid and high range. Jeff from Dakota also recomended 360 mains but I didn't get the chance to change yet. He claims he is at 1500 ft. above sea level and 17 below 0 and no problems. I'll try next year. What was the lowest temp you ran those mains? Wondering if I should run the 360 or 370 for year around riding. I will agree thou, its the best damn handling cat I've ever had. Can't wait till next year. Any info e-mail me at [email protected]

Thanks,
Ron

·
Registered
102 Posts
I got 1300 miles on my F5 and I agree about handling in the trails. With a little tweaking the thing just rails in the corners and for a 500 its a little rocket. Only problem I had was cable came off servo once. By far the most fun sled I have ever owned.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts