Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My speedo passed 1000 miles today in Yellowstone and I thought I would call in and share my thoughts. Firstly let me say this F10 is the best snowmobile I have ever owned. Perfect, not a chance, but very good. We have rolled on hundreds of miles this week on trails good and bad and this sled rides super. I would compare it to a Rev without hesitiation except it is easier to ride. The Revs (and Machs even more so) carry to much weight on the skis and steer like trucks. The Cat is a 1000 but feels like an 800.
I have been watching the fuel use closely and the big Cat is very easy on fuel. My sled has speedworx high flow in take and Y pipe installed and just runs excellent. Today was typical as far as fuel use goes. We stopped for fuel today after putting on 85 miles (I still was showing 5/8 of a tank) and the F10 took 6.9 gallons. The Rev 800 took 9.5, 700 Dragon took 9.0, 600 Fusion took 8.1, and 700 Crossfire took 8.2. We were riding in 12+" of fresh powder for 25+ miles breaking trail-what a ride!!!!!!!!!!!! :beerchug: Usually the revs have to fill up at least once (or more) before I need fuel!
Performance? Stock-not worth a dam!! I rode my sled for 6 miles at home stock and seized it! Motor and computer were replaced 3 weeks ago. I put a couple hundred miles on it stock, but it ran like shit. I then installed my high flo intake and the sled started to run MUCH BETTER. Mine would miss a sputter at full throttle and not rev up. At this point it was about 3 mph slower than my 06 Mach ZX. Then we went to Yellowstone (7000'ASL). I ground 1 gram off my weights (usually 2 grams but I had the Y pipe in my pocket and expected it help me power up). As expected the sled started running lousy again due to the high altitude-motor starving for air. The next day we installed the Y pipe and voila the sled came to life. No more missing and sputtering and nice 7100-7150 on full pull. The whole sled felt crisper and pulled hard. My revs were dropping a bit on long runs so I ground 1/2 a gram off the tips that night and the next day she was excellento!!! Full squeeze netted 7250-7300 and held there all the way to 100mph. Top speed up here on the soft trails is 104 mph on the Cat speedo (which reads 10% lower than a Doo BTW).
Today we decided it was time to see whats what. Out came the MachZ-time for racing!! First 2 runs were close with the Doo pulling on the low end (it has a 1.25 ripsaw, Cat has a 1"). The Cat would pull in the mid and things evened out on top. I could tell I had the bad lane (on the Cat) so we traded sides and raced back. Same low and mid except the Cat passed the doo in the mid and continued pulling away on top. I expected the high flow and Y pipe would put the doo on the trailer and it did. Doo has Bikeman domes and pipe mod BTW.
Is it all good, no! There are a couple flaws on the F. The plastic mess on the rear (the trunk) is a huge ice trap. You get a hugemongos 50 lb block of ice formed underneath the trunk-no way to avoid this. You know its there when the track starts hitting the ice in the bumps. Also the plastic Cat used on this sled is SHIT GARBAGE. It will look beat after a couple hundred miles. I wish I got red instead of black. Not only is the finish lousy, but the pieces (hood etc) look like injection moulded crap from China. Arctic should be embarrased to put this crap on the market. There are flaws in the molds all over the place.
One more thing. The oil pump setting is way rich. I am using about 2 quarts per day if we ride 130 to 150 miles. Yesterday I used 1.6 (1.7 quarts)liters to 48 liters (12.8 gallons) of fuel. About 30-1 ratio. Way to much oil. My F7 used 1 quart on the same ride. Gotta find that oil pump and cut it back a couple turns.
Long and short is GREAT SLED!!!! Super ride, great mileage, big fuel tank, way fast and fun!!

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
Another great report Gearhead! Thanks again for taking the time to whip up fun stuff like that for us to read while the rest of us are sitting around our 'puters waiting for freaking snow! – Roy

·
Registered
8,335 Posts
nice report..wish I was out there in the (almost only) place that has snow !!!

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Just got back in from our last ride-home tomorrow :drunk:
All is well, made 150 miles today, much of it on the same route as yesterday. What a difference between sculpting the fresh pow and coming back the next day! :frech32:
pinch
The trail was wide enough at times for everyone to make their own track-we could ride 6 abreast. Not sure how many were doing that I was up front. As we got closer to the pass thru Green Canyon my son took the lead on a Dragon RMK. He led for probably 10 miles in the deep deep fluff (18" of fresh). It was sick. I had water running down the inside of my electric visor. You could hardly see to stay on the trail with all the snow dust! The leader was slaloming all over the trail on the Rmk having a ball (and seeing where he was going)-couple times his track just about sucked me into the trees when he got to close to the edge. The 800 Rev (ported and well clutched) could pull me a bit out of the hole with his 1.25 track and then I would reel him in after 60 mph. His top speed was 90ish on the doometer which read 10% faster than the Cat. I think my sled was about 15 mph faster than his. The piped 800 XC ran about the same top end as the Rev but was not as quick having a 1" track.
derrek
Thanks. How do I get there, I used to pull the belly pan off the F7. Pull the boots off the throttle bodies?

Hate to leave, it looks like winter is starting to settle in. It has been snowing more each day and today was really socked in. Lots of people here from the eastern US this year.

Also my belt is at 1100 miles and still looking good. Hope to get another 1000 out of it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.